Thread: stationed at ft. richardson and want to do some moose and bear hunting

Default stationed at ft. richardson and want to do some moose and bear hunting

before i moved up here i never did any big game hunting, i did lots of waterfowl and turkey hunting. i would like to find someone that i could tag along with on a moose or bear hunt. i know moose season is not open in most areas. i have read the reg book but i would like to go out with someone who knows what they are doing because i do not want to break any laws. if anyone would let me tag along i would appreciate it so i can learn for myself. if you do not want me to hunt your spot i will not bring my gun i will be happy just to watch and learn, i will only be able to go on weekends, thank you

Welcome to Alaska and thanks for serving!

You may want to sneak in the Alaska Basic Hunting Course.. http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ed.basichunter

Also lots of videos offered by ADFG for free via online or checkout from a local office.
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=library.main

Not really what you are asking for..and most likely you have already studied.

Have fun this season!

There are some good seminars at the Sportsman's Show this weekend. That will start you off
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

What unit are you in? I would suggest changing your residency to AK if you haven't already done so. I am on Ft. Rich also. PM me your contact info and I'll give you a call.

PM me...got a ton of info for you...

welcome to AK
    DH01
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by sthrcave View Post
    What unit are you in? I would suggest changing your residency to AK if you haven't already done so. I am on Ft. Rich also. PM me your contact info and I'll give you a call.
    Other than the PFD, there is no advantage for a service member to change residency to Alaska. You should only being doing that if you intend to stay here. As far as the PFD is concerned, you should only be doing that if you intend to stay in Alaska (or return). Depending on the state you are presently a resident of, there may be tax advantages but not always. Non-resident military pretty much pays the same as residents and the rules are the same to include guide requirements. (the one year in state)

There are a lot of seminars at the show as previouisly stated. There are also a number of people in units that hunt and are willing to help others, its just a metter of time and finding them.

Duckhunter8, get your post count up so that folks can start sending you PMs and you the same. The spam prevention system in place on this forum prevents you from using the PM system until you have spent time on here posting. You can also ask a Moderator to activate the PM function on your account.

I know you put your contact info into your first post down on the Waterfowl forum back in January, so some of these guys may find that and send you some info.

We will see what we can do about the duck hunting this fall as well. Hopefully you have been going to the old threads and gathering information from our old posts.

thanks everyone for replying, i have been studying up on the reg book but i would like to go out with an experienced hunter and see how its done. and akray i can not wait for the fall to come for some duck hunting! here is my email address if someone needs to get in touch with me, it is kopp_justin8@yahoo.com. and i did change my residency to alaska because i do plan on visiting when i am out of the military and possibly live here. thanks again