Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington XCR ii vs Browning X-Bolt

Default Remington XCR ii vs Browning X-Bolt

I can't decide between the Browning vs Remington...
    I want an all weather gun but I also want to be conscious of weight and most importantly accuracy and the consistency of that accuracy. Having never shot either of these guns I thought it would be good to look for some comments from those who have and get some opinions about these guns. I'm looking to buy either of these 2 guns in a 300 mag caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    I can't decide between the Browning vs Remington...
    I want an all weather gun but I also want to be conscious of weight and most importantly accuracy and the consistency of that accuracy. Having never shot either of these guns I thought it would be good to look for some comments from those who have and get some opinions about these guns. I'm looking to buy either of these 2 guns in a 300 mag caliber.
    I love my browning a-bolt. Have never owned a remington. For me I fell in love with the tang safety and have gotten compleatly used to it, doubt I will ever own a gun that doesn't have that style.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I compared both to me the browning wins better trigger I thought it was one the best factory triggers out there and the synthetic is alot better than the Remington the hollow sound on the Remington sounds like crap. What I don't like about the browning is the 60 degree bolt. But other than that I get the browning!

Remington for sure.

I have the Remington xcr II in 300 wm and I really like the Trinyte finish on the stainless steel. The bolt and all metal is covered with that finish. It is a dull black and matches the matte scope good. I am just breaking in the barrel right now and haven't hunted with it yet so don't have any field experience with it. However I really like an A bolt that I have but it is blue/wood. Good luck, Mark

I am suspicious of both of these - I just don't like Remington 700's for hunting, period (JMHO) I used to use ONLY ABolts until I had a couple of trigger freezeups (as in sub zero) on elk hunts but I perused an XBolt last year and didn't like what I felt - the Browning designs have been pretty successful (the ABolt was designed by one of the Rem 700 designer FYI) and I think some tinkering would take care of the ABolt freezeup problem as I suspect it's in the actuation wire channel for the safety mechanism but the XBolt trigger felt "detached" from the rifle somehow to me - In MY old age I have come to love lightweight rifles BUT that said I see nothing but genius in the Model 70 Winchester original trigger/safety (so I use Kimber Montana's mostly and "hope" the trigger/safety continues to function) another note: I see/hear alot regarding Remington "QC" and I have made mention of it myself - somewhere along the line I think I read that Marlin bought Remington (which would make sense looking at the XL7 line) and I think QC has improved BUT I still don't like them for huntin'

I've got to agree with backcountry on this one... I don't really like either myself. For a middling weight 300WM you can do better than either of these in my opinion.

Accuracy is important, but its been a long time since I've seen a factory rifle that just flat wouldn't shoot something decent enough to kill critters with. We all like to chase those "sub MOA" groups but its really not required in a hunting rifle in any but the most specialized situations. Personally, other features are more important to me than just raw accuracy- stock fit and design, trigger feel, and overall weight all take precedence.

Personally, I think the Kimber 8400 Montana is very nice for the cash and the new M70 (still a bit chunky weight wise, but OK) feels fantastic.

Just my $.02

Most anything that comes from the Browning folks lately has been a lot less problematic than the other company considered. I was really impressed with the scissor style magazine from the browning a-bolt. I'm not sure if the x-bolt has that or not. I've put about 40 rounds total through an x-bolt micro chambered for 308, and the looks were a bit odd, but it was a smooth operating and highly accurate rifle. I believe the rifle was toped with a leupold 2-7. The owner and I were both managing 3/4" groups with the cheap FMJ Russian stuff.

I got all fuzzy when the new winchester 70 was announced in WSM until I too felt it and thought it kinda "clunky", the coyote lite stock has a much slimmer grip on it ?? wonder what that stock weighs ? I want a New Haven 70 SS in WSM I can have rebarreled with an ultra light and then .... (ouch)... have it stocked with an MPI lightweight ... THEN I'll shut up (maybe)

XBolt has a "rotary" clip, haven't heard any good or bad about it - most of these new bolt guns seem to me to be designed to be held while in a tree stand or "hide" of some sort - nothing against that style, it's just not mine - I shot a moose in BC last Sept and had 2 shots in it and a third in the chamber before even I realized it (guess "slow" isn't one of my age infirmities yet) so I am very happy with my Montana 325 WSM thus far - there are alot of great guns out there ! good choices abound ...

Pretty sure Remington bought marlin not the other way around...

Also the trigger used in x-bolt same trigger in the new model 70. So I find it funny u decry the x-bolt trigger but don't say anything about the model 70 lol. As the kit kat commercial said give me a break!

I own a 700 XCR-2 in 375 H&H and without a doubt it is the most accurate 375 I have ever seen. And unlike some people that posted above, the model 700 is a tried and true excellent hunting rifle. I prefer the push feed over the Model 70 CRF. Everybody likes to point out that the Remington's have had trigger problems, QC, etc., but I know 10 people that hunt with Remington model 700's. They have for 30+ years with old models, new models, etc. and nobody I actually personally know has ever had a single problem with a Remington 700. Between those 10 people I would say we own close to 90 model 700's and they are bulletproof guns. The accuracy is above any other guns I have shot including some custom rifles with special stocks, special bedding, blah blah blah. My 375 XCR-2 is unbelievable and my 700 SPS 300 RUM with group 2" at 500 yards all day long. They are both bone stock.

For all the push feed haters, what do you think the M16 is? Men in our military live and die by push feed guns every day. And I will rely on my 700's in the field in the worst of conditions. I have hunted in -45 for caribou and never had anything freeze up. They are incredible guns.
    An unarmed man is subject, an armed man is a citizen.

What's funny some of the well known PH in Africa used a dreaded push feeds. I think lott used a 700 in a 458 lott. Anyhow either one will be fine I do know the remmy is a little cheaper and you can take that savings to use on a good scope.

323 - I hadn't said anything about the "new" model 70 because I don't like that "new" trigger either (now I know why) - As far as Rem 700's go there must be alot of folks who like them or there wouldn't be so many in use or so many ready to defend them, that is your right for sure and I would defend to the death your "right" to have that opinion and state it openly - As stated by me earlier, I use and have always used 7oo's for my varmint guns because they are so easy to live with, it is MY opinion that they are not the most well designed HUNTING rifle for a number of reasons: 1) the next time you find your NEW model 700 with the bolt open and all the ammo back down the trail don't cuss it 2) "someone" must feel the extractor is deficient or there wouldn't be so many "sako extractors" in 'em and co.'s like Brownell wouldn't be selling them 3)there's a busload of 700's with Jewell triggers, why's that? I won't go on and on because these are MY feelings and you have yours as well - there is also a busload of "PH" 's that swear by their model 70, CZ, '98 making that one sort of a mute point too ... all just "IMHO" 's

So you are saying if I leave a bolt open on a 700 all my ammo will fall out?? But on a CRF the ammo will stay in? The makes no sense what so ever. What does a PF have to do with ammo falling out of the magazine box? Wouldn't that be becuase of bad feed rails? I tell you soemtiems I read crap on this forum and I just shake my head. I'm no expert never professed to be an expert but I know what common snese is. On the trigger how many 98 mauser have timmney triggers hhmmm lets oh about all of them that have been custommized... Also think about for yrs and yrs from 1965 to about 1990 or so their was only two places to get CRF commercially one was from Whitworth the other was the famed ZKK 602 from BRNO and oh good luck getting one of them during this time frame to do to the import imbargo on at the time. So for 25 yrs the only CRF you could get was the pre-64 model 70, I'm pretty sure in the 80's the pre-64 were demanding a pretty good price as well.

Oops forgot the Browning highpowers were CRF rifles..

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    So you are saying if I leave a bolt open on a 700 all my ammo will fall out?? But on a CRF the ammo will stay in? The makes no sense what so ever. What does a PF have to do with ammo falling out of the magazine box? Wouldn't that be becuase of bad feed rails? I tell you soemtiems I read crap on this forum and I just shake my head. I'm no expert never professed to be an expert but I know what common snese is. On the trigger how many 98 mauser have timmney triggers hhmmm lets oh about all of them that have been custommized... Also think about for yrs and yrs from 1965 to about 1990 or so their was only two places to get CRF commercially one was from Whitworth the other was the famed ZKK 602 from BRNO and oh good luck getting one of them during this time frame to do to the import imbargo on at the time. So for 25 yrs the only CRF you could get was the pre-64 model 70, I'm pretty sure in the 80's the pre-64 were demanding a pretty good price as well.
    I am quite certain he means fall off the bolt face since the round is " loose" on a push feed opposed to the control feed, but again like you say I have seen some pretty ridiculous arguments so who knows..

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    I think, at least in part, that some people attack Remington because they have a good excuse (the media over a trigger problem that I have never personally seen or heard of from someone I know) and they are sick of being outshot by guys toting 700's. Jealousy can be a horrible thing. And frankly, if we are lucky the same guys will keep buying their Model 70's and leaving our 700's alone, keeping prices down way below where they should be. IMHO.
    An unarmed man is subject, an armed man is a citizen.

put one in the pipe and set the safety on your beloved 700 and then on a model 70 ("the rifleman's rifle" ... not MY words) sling 'em both and take a walk through the brush just like you were really huntin' - now, you might be "lucky" and not have your 700 bolt flip open but then again, you just might have that happen - I own both and, believe me, I am not the least bit "jealous" of you OR your guns - I will "shoot" my 700's all I want and be happy doin' it, then I'll go ahuntin' with my "other" rifles and be even happier that I'm not carryin' a 700 - You can line up all the 700 fans on one side and all the 70 fans facing 'em, it'll most likely be pretty even ... 'cept ALL the 70's will have ammo in the magazine, guaranteed .... Now, about those triggers - I would suppose THAT issue, what with the evidence against Remington for not wanting to spend the money to do it "right" and all, would pretty much be a mute point - I HATE the anti's more than most but evidence is evidence and the 700 triggers were faulty in their design or their QC guys wouldn't have brought it up - see you didn't mention a Timney or Jewell in a model 70, hmmm.... I am glad you choose to hunt with Remington model 700's, leaves more game for me - As far as "feed rails" and the such ..... AH nevermind ... have a great evening !

Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    put one in the pipe and set the safety on your beloved 700 and then on a model 70 ("the rifleman's rifle" ... not MY words) sling 'em both and take a walk through the brush just like you were really huntin' - now, you might be "lucky" and not have your 700 bolt flip open but then again, you just might have that happen - I own both and, believe me, I am not the least bit "jealous" of you OR your guns - I will "shoot" my 700's all I want and be happy doin' it, then I'll go ahuntin' with my "other" rifles and be even happier that I'm not carryin' a 700 - You can line up all the 700 fans on one side and all the 70 fans facing 'em, it'll most likely be pretty even ... 'cept ALL the 70's will have ammo in the magazine, guaranteed .... Now, about those triggers - I would suppose THAT issue, what with the evidence against Remington for not wanting to spend the money to do it "right" and all, would pretty much be a mute point - I HATE the anti's more than most but evidence is evidence and the 700 triggers were faulty in their design or their QC guys wouldn't have brought it up - see you didn't mention a Timney or Jewell in a model 70, hmmm.... I am glad you choose to hunt with Remington model 700's, leaves more game for me - As far as "feed rails" and the such ..... AH nevermind ... have a great evening !
    Why would you suggest to someone to hunt with a loaded rifle, slung or not? Not safe and wrong by every means.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast