Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from a new guy in anchorage (Fort Rich)

Default Hello from a new guy in anchorage (Fort Rich)

Just wanted to stop in and say hello. Just arrived at Fort Rich for my 2nd tour in AK (Fort Wainwright last time). I look forward to seeing the stories and hopefully learning a bit to prepare myself for the hunting seasons up here in Alaska as I know I have quite a bit to learn. Thankfully I never changed my res. over from my last time up here so I qualified for a res. license (picked it up today hunt/fish/trap). Now I just have to sit back and wait for the "seasons" to arrive even though I will miss a good portion of the fishing in july/aug due to a field problem and then sadly december I will be gone for 12+ month to go back to the sandbox yet again.

So my question is are there any decent areas around Anchorage that are foot path reliable for moose and black/brown bear? Reason being is I am up here with out a snowmachine or quad and most likely will not get one until I get back from the desert due to my income (wife is stay at home mom).

Any info would be greatly appreciated as I would love to stock up my freezers a bit before I leave.

V/R
    Ryan L.

What unit you in 4-25 I only help out the 1-40 cav guys LOl just kidding. Lets see well around anchorage your are limited have to head out towards the valley even then it gets crowded. Most folks head toward unti 13 or 20. W/out a wheeler you will be very limited the MWR does rent them. But I think they charge to much for them at 175 a day. But I have seen folks humping it in around zero lake for moose hunting. If you are IBEP certified you can head to Eklutna and chase the black bear up there but not Brown bear that is a draw area. Also head up towards crow creek pass on the Alyeska (SP) side you need hunter safety and a registration permit to hunt most of it and there restrictions on certain parts of the trail. You cant hunt bears on Ft Rich Moose is a draw permit. So with that find some guys who are bearbaiting (I'm stopping my right foot) and see if you can tag along and get in on some of the action. If you are not a complete ass I always have room in the ranger for someone if my wife and daughter aren't going. All we ask follow the rules don;t shoot up the country side if you drink leave it at home and listen. Don;t go out do your own thing then we have to track you down two hours later you get the picture.

yah Im with 725 BSB. I really do appreciate the offer and may take you up on it. I am not a big drinker (1-3 beers with friends maybe once or twice a month) I have more important things to waste my money on than getting drunk. I have only hunted AK a few times with minimal luck (drew the hess creek area (white mnt herd) for cariboo) done some small game hunts and a few catch and release bear hunts (armed with my nikon digital camera). But figured this time around I would like to get a bit more into things as I am always wanting to learn more on the sport.

Welcome back.
    May God Bless The USA!
    If you don't study and understand history, your doomed to repeat it!

Thanks for the welcome La Pine.... been down stairs paintin the 308 Win Mag for the past hour lol fun times

So where is the best place to sight in a rifle around here. I heard someone talk about a outdoor range in s. anchorage but he didn't know a address or directions there. I want to get my new setup all ready to go before the season is in full swing. Also I was curious what the average AK hunter usually sights in at I was planning on doing the normal military 300 meter zero (328.8 yards) but wasn't sure (I manly will be hunting black bear / moose and possibly a boo later on down the line). for deer hunting I usually zero'd out at around 200 yards due to the area of WA I would hunt I figure with trajectory and the +/- factors the 300 meter (or there about) should be fine but I want to make sure its in the best interest. the scope I run is a typical 3-9x40 scope its not pretty but its a budget gun for now until I can pick up a nice left hand semi auto (most likely after deployment). wasn't a huge fan of the solid black (never have been) so did some painting and right now I am polishing the bolt and such. (wish I still had my old guns that the x got in the divorce)

Quote Originally Posted by NhraFox View Post
    So where is the best place to sight in a rifle around here. I heard someone talk about a outdoor range in s. anchorage but he didn't know a address or directions there. I want to get my new setup all ready to go before the season is in full swing. Also I was curious what the average AK hunter usually sights in at I was planning on doing the normal military 300 meter zero (328.8 yards) but wasn't sure (I manly will be hunting black bear / moose and possibly a boo later on down the line). for deer hunting I usually zero'd out at around 200 yards due to the area of WA I would hunt I figure with trajectory and the +/- factors the 300 meter (or there about) should be fine but I want to make sure its in the best interest. the scope I run is a typical 3-9x40 scope its not pretty but its a budget gun for now until I can pick up a nice left hand semi auto (most likely after deployment). wasn't a huge fan of the solid black (never have been) so did some painting and right now I am polishing the bolt and such. (wish I still had my old guns that the x got in the divorce)

NhraFox
    In the last 45 yrs, I've only made 1 moose shot that was a little over 100 yards... all the rest have been in the 50 yard range.. Except this last season, I dropped a Spike at exactly 100 yards, as measured on Google... Longest Caribou shot was 227 steps in open tundra from the prone position.. It was just one of those days when everything was going right...

If you take the Seward Hwy south, as it drops down into the Potter Marsh there is a rifle range right there on your right...
    Or if you take the Glenn hwy North, take the off ramp at North Birchwood, and head down towards the Birchwood airport... you'll run into the Isaac Walton Rifle Range.../John

John thanks a ton for the info. I will be heading out today hopefully to zero in so I will be ready (would much rather place a clean kill shot than have a off zero wound shot that I have to track a slowly dying animal). Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by NhraFox View Post
    So my question is are there any decent areas around Anchorage that are foot path reliable for moose and black/brown bear?
    Absolutely. Unfortunately, none of them are open to hunting except for drawing permits with chances that make the lottery seem rational. Thankfully, there are lots of places like that but with open seasons less than 200 miles from Anchorage. For wildlife photography and viewing, Anchorage has excellent opportunity. For hunting opportunity, Anchorage sucks. Head to the Valley, maybe Talkeetna.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

My opinion, sight your rifle in at 50 yards. I do it so I can get a really good zero. Also, it gives you a better trajectory than at 100 yards. I had the exact same rifle in the exact same caliber with the exact same scope and loved it. Perfect cheap Alaska gun.

(From handloads.com/calc)

Sighted at 100 yards: 300 Win Mag 180 grain spitzer. 3100 fps.
    100: 0" 200: -2.8" 300: -10.7" 400: -24.6" 500: -45.8"

Sighted at 50 yards: Same load
    100: +.5" 200: -1.7" 300: -9.1" 400: -22.6" 500: -43.3"

What I like about this is getting a very good zero on your rifle (up close) and it has almost the same trajectory, but slightly better than 100 yd (standard for up here). I never liked 300 yard zero because it places the bullet way high (4.5" at max) in the range that most shots at moose and black bear are made (50-100 yards). My $0.02.

Welcome back to the great land, thank you for your service. Hope God sends a spike fork your way within bow range.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Welcome back. This may not help much if you already hit the range, but Rabbit Creek range is limited to 100 yards. If you get your gun sighted in and want to shoot further, you're out of luck. Birchwood at the north Chugiak exit goes out to 300 meters but they are ridiculously proud for some reason at $20 a day to shoot. So if you go there, just buy a season pass(that may be their scam), they have a reduced rate for AD military. Happy hunting.

Awesome info guys thanks a TON! I still have yet to get out and zero the rifle but I will hopefully be doing it this week when I start my 10 days PTDY leave, and just might head out this weekend for a very early spring hunt (spot and stalk). I will be bringing along my camera for some nice photography as well.

Thanks again everyone

The Range is closed Monday and Tuesday. The range is a 100 yard range. I find nothing wrong with highestviews point aboout the 50 yard zeero but personally, I use 100 yards. For caribou I usually do the 1inch high at 100 yard zero. There are oppurtunities to spot and stalk black bears. As far as moose, mine was a 40 yard shot this year but I don't hunt moose that often, hard to carry out.

Default bear hunt if you hike

Nhra fox..... I would zero at 200 yds
    Agreed Birchwood range is a good place to shoot short and long range
    My Moose, Bou, and bear last year were 184, 182, 175 yds...
    I like the paint job!
    There is some spring bear hunting on foot... some of my elmo buddies are going where I took them last year (I drew a great Brownie tag I will use that week hopefully) They might take on another troop... 3rd week of may. They are also going to Birchwood this Sat too... I may join in too. Email me if you are interested danevans67@gmail.com in shooting this weekend and meeting guys.

NhraFox: That is a Remington 770 in .300 Winchester right? Or did I guess wrong?

highest yes its a budget rem 770 308 win mag actually.

as for everyone else I am on Permissive TDY getting my house unpacked but I am up for anything this weekend as I really want to get out there and at least check some areas out.

Feel free to email me anytime Armyroadrunner@yahoo.com

You can also shoot on post at the sports fire range.. it's a decent range with up to a 300meter capability..
    i personally sight in my rifle at 200 meters due to the fact that at closer range you only have to hold low a few inches instead of at 200 meters have to hold high about 2 feet

Oh and Welcome back to AK.. I'll be with you on that next hunting trip to the sandbox! haha

Go to range control take the class ie watch a video from 1989 get your card sign for the range and off you go. Whats good abotu Ft Rich is in the summertiem it is open until 2200 at night. Decent range I will say it is a pretty good range. You have the typical yahoos but the good thing is rank does matter out there and they start acting like ass clowns you can boot there asses off the range. Unlike Birchwood if they act like ass clowns you just have to deal with it.

weather depending I might actually head over tomorrow to watch the vid and hopefully sight in the new rifle. Just hope the weather holds up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast