Thread: Craig, AK for DIY saltwater fishing?

Default Craig, AK for DIY saltwater fishing?

So Im planning this potential trip to Coffman cove in early July (2nd to 10) and I just kept looking at the map to figure things out.

I see Craig is there and was wondering if perhaps for the type of trip I wanted to do Craig might be just as good or better.

What we've done so far is set up a car and skiff rental out of Hollis, so I can easily make the trip to Craig instead of Coffman. Just need to find lodging.

We really wanted to do some jig fishing for Halibut, Lings and Rockfish. I think Coffman cove has some decent halibut fishing only about 10-15mins from the dock, and we were told that the waters on most days are relatively calm. With the amount of 16' skiff rentals in Coffman it made me more confident that those waters would be easy for newbies to fish.

But how would skiff fishing be around Craig? I would not want to spend +1hour heading to fishing grounds especially not in a 16' skiff in water I do not know well.

Any info or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

I am certainly not an expert, but I have fished both areas several times. My experience is that you can get into some great salmon fishing near Craig, sometimes within sight of the dock, but that decent rockfish, ling cod, and halibut fishing requires a 20 - 30 mile run West, near the open ocean. This run takes an hour, but is in very protected waters. I never caught anyting big around Coffman Cove, but I did catch halibut and rockfish just a few miles away. We had some nasty wind chop for several days when the wind was out of the North, but not any big ocean swells.

Big_E

You don't need to run to open ocean to catch rockfish/halibut/Ling out of Craig. I troll the high spots on the inside, and most high spots on the charts are covered in some variety of rockfish, 365 days a year. Ling takes a little bit more work, but if you can't find a nice ling every day, you'd better take up golf. . Yellow eye are around too close to town, and again it comes down to knowing what to look for on those charts. Halibut isn't wide open, but some nice ones are around. Seems like they run a little bigger on average on the inside than they do on the outside. Anchoring up and letting the scent do the work for yo will dramatically increase your odds.

So Craig's waters are relatively protected then. Its really hard (for me at least) to tell what is really protected waters from a map.

How is the fishing in early July? Would there be salmon around?

Also, I was told Coffman would require 18-24oz to hold bottom. Would it be the same for Craig?

I like 12oz. It can get rough, and we can have periods of unfishable water with the size of the boat you'll have. It's a roll of the dice.

Salmon fishing is usually pretty good in early July. Kings. Some years the cohos are in too. I had good coho fishing last summer in early july in the inside, right off that cabin I was telling you about.

Attachment 47387We caught these 3.5 miles from the Craig dock. I think 270Attachment 47386 is the local expert on the Craig side. Heard good things about Coffman too. She caught that rockfish in the first hour but mine was bigger :-). A jillion smaller rockfish on every pinnacle.

mapman,

You coming up this summer?

I decided I'll do both.

Turns out the cabin in Coffman wont be available until the 4th.
    So I'll be in Craig for 2 days before heading up to Coffman.

Is Craig salmon fishing mostly trolling? Dont think the skiff has a downrigger unfortunately.

thanks

The whole charter fleet mooches..

Both will be fun, btw. I'm considering pulling my boat up to coffman in June to check out some fishing up there and do a little exploring. New water is always a good time..

Blue Heron inn and A Place to Stay are your best bets for good lodgings. Haidaway Lodge in central Craig supposedly is less seedy than it used to be. I only flyfish and mostly in freshwater, so I don't have any fishing suggestions in salt. There are a number of freshwater alternatives, but you are very early for freshwater fishing except in the north areas of the island.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    I like 12oz. It can get rough, and we can have periods of unfishable water with the size of the boat you'll have. It's a roll of the dice.
    Definitely agree with 270ti. I have been there on a few 30 kt days. A big plus for the area: unlike Coffman Cove and many other places, no matter which way the wind is blowing you can find a comfortable place to fish. If you are ok putting up with some rough water on your way to a protected fishing spot, Craig definitely gets my vote.

Big_E

Soda PM me. I have all the charts you can reach with a skiff Photoshoped into one file at the same scale. Mooching rocks. Also, 12oz jigs worked fine to 200ft.

Yeah 270 coming up Aug 6-14. Can't wait.

PM sent Mapman5

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mapman5 View Post
    Soda PM me. I have all the charts you can reach with a skiff Photoshoped into one file at the same scale. Mooching rocks. Also, 12oz jigs worked fine to 200ft.

Yeah 270 coming up Aug 6-14. Can't wait.

Hey guys,

Just had another question. I dont own a boat so I do not know how or where to check how the conditions are out on the water.

Lets just say Im in Coffman one morning and we consider driving to Craig for fishing, where can I check the weather conditions for boating?

Thanks

thanks

I check wunderground.com daily. It has both the Craig/Klawock forecast, and the dixen entrance forecast.

The only wind I truly hate is a NW wind. It just jacks everything up, without mercy. E you can deal with. SE can hump it up in front of town too, but it's easier to hide.

A 15-20kt inside wind is about all I go out in, in my 19' Pacific Skiff. I've done enough 35-40kt winds when chartering to make me despise fishing in the wind.

Thanks 270 - would I just got by the local town weather in Klawock/Craig then? Just like checking the normal weather?

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    I check wunderground.com daily. It has both the Craig/Klawock forecast, and the dixen entrance forecast.

The only wind I truly hate is a NW wind. It just jacks everything up, without mercy. E you can deal with. SE can hump it up in front of town too, but it's easier to hide.

A 15-20kt inside wind is about all I go out in, in my 19' Pacific Skiff. I've done enough 35-40kt winds when chartering to make me despise fishing in the wind.

I do, when I'm fishing right in front of town. (St Johns area) But, I always check with both. If the local forecast is calling for a 10mph SE, and the marine forecast is calling for a 35kt gale, I proceed with caution..(grin)