Thread: POW - coffman cove in July

Default POW - coffman cove in July

Hi guys,

Im planning a trip to POW for July this year. I will most likely be renting a skiff & cabin out of Coffman cove for a week or so. Not set yet, but probably coffman.

Anyways, in case we get blown out for a few days and cant go out on the skiff, I was wondering if anybody had some suggestions about some river fishing? I was told there are a few early runs of cohos there but have no clue where to go.

thanks in advance.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

The Thorne River out of Thorne Bay should have some action. Harris River over by the ferry landing, the Klaowak river with the fish hatchery should have fish. Get a map of the Island and plan your attack. You can drive anyplace on the island in one day, I have driven over 2000 miles in 10 days that time of year, lots of daylight.

Hey Soda,

You live in AK? I am at the anchortown sport show right now if you want to come in and chat I have some good river fishing resources that I can share to get you in the right direction. Maps, descriptions, etc.

As for Craig/Coffman listen to 270 he does a lot of fishing over there. Great fishing I hear, never fished it myself I am going to have 270 teach me how to mooch this year! Coffman has a lot to offer as well so don't discount it, different fisheries and both have a lot to offer. No matter where you choose thanks for choosing POW.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Gooch...If I lived in AK, I'd be a happier version of myself right now

Very kind of you for inviting me to chat though. Ive been doing so much research in the area that I think Ive read the majority of your posts!

Im still wondering where to set up camp.

I did speak to a lady today who said wherever I decide to set up camp, I could easily drive to the other place to fish for a day. Whatever happens, I should be in the area during that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    Hey Soda,

You live in AK? I am at the anchortown sport show right now if you want to come in and chat I have some good river fishing resources that I can share to get you in the right direction. Maps, descriptions, etc.

As for Craig/Coffman listen to 270 he does a lot of fishing over there. Great fishing I hear, never fished it myself I am going to have 270 teach me how to mooch this year! Coffman has a lot to offer as well so don't discount it, different fisheries and both have a lot to offer. No matter where you choose thanks for choosing POW.

Gooch, I forgot to ask you. In coffman, how will the silver fishing be around the 5th in the salt?

You are a bit early for silvers except in the salt. There are coho runs for farmed fish that early in the northern areas of POW. There are also reds in a number of places. You can secure a detailed map of the "passable" roadways from the USFS for a nominal charge. Both "Alaska Fishing" &"Flyfisher's Guide to Alaska Fishing" are good resources for the favorite places to fish. Luck & Eagle Creeks are right at your doorstep from Coffman Cove as are Logjam & Hatchery Creeks. All have very good fishing at the right time, but I have not fished them that early in the season. In early July I would either concentrate on reds & dollies or go north in fresh water. The salt from Coffman Cove should be very good at that time.

Oh wow thanks Ol'Blues. One of my brothers is flying in from Australia just for this trip and he kept asking me about reds but I had no clue. I really just assumed there would not be any. I have no idea why I thought that.

I do have the 'Flyfisher's guide' but I travel so much that I havent had it with me in over 2 years. I know exactly on which shelf at my mom's place it is too...

If you dont mind sharing some Red spots that would be great.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Blues View Post
    You are a bit early for silvers except in the salt. There are coho runs for farmed fish that early in the northern areas of POW. There are also reds in a number of places. You can secure a detailed map of the "passable" roadways from the USFS for a nominal charge. Both "Alaska Fishing" &"Flyfisher's Guide to Alaska Fishing" are good resources for the favorite places to fish. Luck & Eagle Creeks are right at your doorstep from Coffman Cove as are Logjam & Hatchery Creeks. All have very good fishing at the right time, but I have not fished them that early in the season. In early July I would either concentrate on reds & dollies or go north in fresh water. The salt from Coffman Cove should be very good at that time.

I would check it out when you arrive as you are very early for everything and you know how run timing can change. That said, there are usually early runs in the Neck Lake area (road quality deteriorates as you go north) and an early run of sockeye both in the north and off a boardwalk near Control Lake (believe me, if the fish are in, you won't miss where to park). It can be a bit of a zoo as, for this island, these are the first freshwater runs of salmon they see each year. I've never understood why the terminal farm fish run earlier, but they do. Also drive the road between Coffman Cove & Thorne Bay: I've had some epic days wading the salt and the estuaries, particularly early in the season & particularly in coves at or near river mouths (e.g.,Ratz Creek, Sal Creek & near Sandy Pt.).

Mike,

I would have taught you how to mooch IF there had been any silvers last August. ;-)

Al

SB,

Should be enough fish around Neck Lake outlet to make it interesting. Not to far a run from Coffman in the skiff if it is calm. Otherwise drive around and park either at the bridge, or a little farther on at the fish camp. From there is a very short walk to where the outlet meets the salt.