Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Only 71 bison out of 120 permits!!! Why?

Default Only 71 bison out of 120 permits!!! Why?

I called F&G today and Dave said only 71 out of a the 120 bison permits have been harvested! I am wondering if everyone hunted that got a permit? I can't imagine being that Lucky and not hunting! With that said, there are always those "oh #$@%" mishaps that jump up and bite us on the butt, making all fun come to a screeching halt! Hope that is not the case for anyone, those moments hurt! The day is not over and maybe there will be a bison or two go home with a lucky someone...

Diana

I want to thank you Diana for all the help you gave to us during our trips. Even when we couldn't use your property you were a great resource on where we may have success.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I don't see many folks here mention hunting on Black's farm. When I was up there in 2003 there were a lot of animals on Black's place. If they're not allowing hunting that could be part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    I don't see many folks here mention hunting on Black's farm. When I was up there in 2003 there were a lot of animals on Black's place. If they're not allowing hunting that could be part of it.
    I know several were killed there. We met 3 hunters who were successful there, and heard of a couple more. We tried to get on but they always had hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    I know several were killed there. We met 3 hunters who were successful there, and heard of a couple more. We tried to get on but they always had hunters.
    That was the place to be when I hunted up there and from reading logbooks at the cabins it had been for some time.

I'll bet not everyone hunted.....F&G will tell you when the harvest reports come out. I know alot of people that drew prime trophy area tags for Sheep, Brown Bear, and moose that never even attempted to go.

would be interesting to know the past percentage of harvest to tags issued...typically F&G figures that into the equation when they decide how many tags to issue.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Past harvest has averaged around 70-75%.

Is this for all bison hunts? or just Delta, because I heard the Farewell hunt can be a challenge itself.....How many trips can you make packing back a bison in a supercub?

I also want to thank Diane for all the help. And Mr. Black, not sure if he gets on here. He was alot of help. Silver Fox Roadhouse was also a great help.

It wasn't for the lack of trying on my part. Hunted hard and alot. It was a good time, a great experience, pretty expensive and a hunt I will never forget. Being close to those critters was amazing. They are quite the creature. Harvesting one would have been the icing on the cake. The next ten years can't go by quick enough.

Brwnbr, wouldn't the percentage be just under 60. 71 / 120

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Is this for all bison hunts? or just Delta, because I heard the Farewell hunt can be a challenge itself.....How many trips can you make packing back a bison in a supercub?
    Just for Delta. And usually a 90% or better participation.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

My old man, who BRWNBR has had the pleasure of crossing paths with, finally drew the farewell tag in 2007. He was retired by then so he was able to commit to the one and only bison tag he's ever received. He routinely was checked by the F&G guy out of Mcgrath and 15 days into the season when he harvested the biggest, meanest, nastiest bull he could find he was the only hunter to fill his tag to that point. Super difficult hunt with lots of time and patience involved. It continues to blow my mind the people that are drawn for our most coveted hunts that really have no intention of committing to them...

I think that by the end of the season, the unfilled tags should be given to a local lottery for the surronding residents. Ha see how well that sets, lol. If they want to keep them in check,????/

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    would be interesting to know the past percentage of harvest to tags issued...typically F&G figures that into the equation when they decide how many tags to issue.
    I was gonna say the same thing Jake. They figure the % of hunters that don't usually hunt into the equation for how many permits to give out. Also, some may not have reported yet. Some may not have seen an animal that measured up to their expectations. I'm sure even on your guided hunts that cost a bit, there are clients who will pass on animals rather than take one that they don't feel measures up. Hunting is usually never 100%.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

More for next year, maybe. I would have gotten one.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    BINGO!!!

You should see how many tags they issue for the Etolin Elk hunt. Hunter sucess rate in in the single digits.

So I went back and pulled harvest stats for the Delta Bison tags ~ 2009 back to 1999. Here are the averages over this 11 year time period

Number of tags issued 112
    Number of actual hunters 106
    Animals harvested 77
    Sucess Rate of Hunters 73%
    % of tag holders who hunted 95%

So if Diana's statistics hold, 2011 will have a 60% success ratio. This is the lowest rate over the past 11 years. There were three years (2007, 2004 and 1999) where the success rate was 69%. In 2003 the success rate was 62%. Highest success rate was 80% in 2002.

So for your stats nerds, 2011 will be a +2 standard deviation event.

I would suspect that a fair number of prime tags go to PETA types. They can spend a few bucks for the drawing and then if drawn have proof that they personally saved a bison, sheep, or whatever.

They are a devious bunch.

This was the first year they started hunting bulls in August - What effect did that have on the normal migration? Did that spook them for later in the season? Can't say for sure but who knows what the effect of the change were.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by 257wby View Post
    I would suspect that a fair number of prime tags go to PETA types. They can spend a few bucks for the drawing and then if drawn have proof that they personally saved a bison, sheep, or whatever.

They are a devious bunch.
    ...but do they really "save" an animal? Or do they often condemn said animal to a harsh and brutal death by less humane means such as predators, starvation etc? There is a reason that a certain number of big game animals need to be harvested by hunters. It's for the overall health of the heard...in most cases.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast