Thread: Opinions on ranger 400

Default Opinions on ranger 400

I am looking at the ranger 400 or 500. Does anyone have any info?

I owned a Ranger 500 and realy liked it. I used it for everything around the acreage. large dump box, can haul more than any other utv on the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcLaughlin View Post
    I am looking at the ranger 400 or 500. Does anyone have any info?
    May God Bless The USA!
    If you don't study and understand history, your doomed to repeat it!

I got a 500 4x4 ranger in 2010. I think that this year they are putting the 500 motor in the midsize style ranger. Big difference as the full size seats three and has a bigger payload. I have really enjoyed it. My work affords me to utilize an array of vehicles and I have used the ranger 6x6 in both the 500 (older model) and newer 800. I specifically got the full size 500 for fuel economy. Yes it does lack power compared to the bigger motors but the 500 HO is a proven motor and uses about 20-30% less fuel. The 6x6 are a bit better in getting through challenging terrain but also cost a few grand more. As with anything it all depends on needs and wants. If you want to mud/power through over things the bigger motor (700 XP) or a 6x6 is probably better. I haven't used the midsize style ranger but I really wanted the seating for three and more payload which isn't available in those models. If you purchase I would recommend Hatcher Pass Polaris. I called all the dealers and they offered the best deal and by far the best service.

I have a '10 ranger 400 and bought it because it is narrower and would be able to better fit some of the tight trails we ride in up state NY and I could not be happier. Took it on a club run in Jan. right after a 2' snow for 40+ mile run and it hung with all the big boy atv's. Great Machine and great for work around the yard also.

Can't imagine having anything less than my 700 efi..A full bed and full meat trailer takes every bit of the engine in sloppy areas.. Looking forward to upgrading.