Thread: On building Custom Rifles

Post On building Custom Rifles

Over that last 2 years I have grown fond of building my own rifles to meet my own specs. I am fond of Mausers and now have all kinds of Mausers in all ranges of calibers and stock configurations. As soon as one rifle is complete, I'm dreaming up the next one and begin the constant search of the next "must have" caliber. Alas! I'm set for calibers from 17 Fireball to 470 Capstick and of course, I still need a .50 cal something, or my arsenal will just not be complete. But that's a different subject for later...

Here's the meat and potatoes of the whole topic:

I want to know if anyone has tried, or has experience customizing a Mosin Nagant?
    I'm thinking of taking a basic $59.00 special Nagant 91/30 or a carbine variant in good working order and turning it into a compact (and the almost impossible task of making it cute) little carry-all rifle. I need not another custom mil-sup rifle, but It's the same draw a climber has to the mountain face... "can it be done?" My goal is to try and get this "last-of-the-cheap" rifle article published if the prototype turns out nice, as currently there are a limited amount of aftermarket parts available and of those parts, none are really that exciting.

Currently one can re-stock and mount a scope to the basic military design. That changes an ugly rifle into an ugly rifle with a plastic stock and a scope.

Now, the current caliber 7.62x54R is a good hunting round and is very cheap to shoot. It's been around over a hundred and some odd years and is still used today on active duty somewhere in the world, but again "customize" is the key word here so we want to change out the barrel.

NOW for the rifle itself:

A Carbine
    barrel length of 16 1/2 to 20" max
    A Scout Rifle
    This up's the price of optics, but this rifle is the perfect unit for the application.
    A Mannlicher Stock
    True, it's not for everybody, but for this rifle, to look good, it needs covered by lots of wood.

Now for the caliber. This is the toughest question...and why I have brought this matter to you for your consideration.

What would the perfect little caliber for a handy little grab-an-go bolt rifle to keep in the Truck or leave in the boat just for GP?

Since the 7.62x54R Russian is a Rimmed cartridge. This may require the bolt face to be reworked, or use a cartridge with a similar profile.

The 45-70 comes to mind, but that's been done by Gibbs with a MK IV Enfield.
    the 30-30 comes to mind, but why spend the time re-barreling from a 30 Russian?
    Pistol cartridges are a great idea! Like 45 Long Colts?

I want to stray away from wildcats. I like them very much, but the focus of this project is an inexpensive rifle using over-the-counter ammo.

SO what caliber would be nice for a little 100 yd Hunter, plinker, sport rifle to carry about just for General Purpose cheap-short-fun-little-gun?

A Ruger M77 SA Frontier Rifle In Stainless, forward mount scout scope w/Ruger International stock 18in Barrel, .375JDJ would be my choice, so I'm looking to model this mil-sup project in this image, of course without the the Custom Shop price tag.
    God, Guns and Guts is what made America Great

Default Rifles

The best alternate cartridge for your project may well be the 30-40 Krag, the 1895 Winchester was chambered in both of these cartridges. Most of the 7.62x54R's went overseas. If you do decide to attack this for a project and intend to keep it after you finish. Consider using a Sako or Tikka Mosin-Nagant for your starting point. They are newer manufacturer and are probably the highest quality of this action style.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default Scout Rifle

Is this about what you are thinking of for a scout rifle? http://www.makarov.com/cart/mosmount.htm From what I can see, the mods are not too extensive of too hard on the bank account either.

This is the idea I'm looking for.

I want to extreme change the caliber and may go with a new production or a pistol cartridge for a prototype after all.

I want to modify the trigger guard and install a blind magazine or detachable clip mag of some fashion to clean up the lines. then put a barrel on it that does not have ANY steps. Mil-Surp Russian side mount scope rigs look real good on these rifles and can provide another possibility. Actually I will have built 3 to four of these rifles by the time I write the article.

The need is to (1)have a standard issue, (2)A quick sporter that anyone can build as pictured above, and a (3&4)couple of very custom rigs that will look nothing like nagants once complete.

So after sleeping on it I'm thinking a 35 Remington, 7mm08, 338 Federal, 243 Winchester... as 30 caliber loads are equal to the default caliber, so anything in cal 30 will be matched to the ballistic scale of the 7.62x54R

Of course, there are the big bore choices 444 marlin, 458 American (458x2in) or the 458x1.5" and a range of 40 calibers like a 40-08 or a 38-30, 45 winchester magnum, 445, 460 S&W or go big with a 50 S&W
    Just dreaming out loud here...

Default Calibers

The 303 British IS the same bore diameter as the 7.62x54R so you could possibly use the same barrel. If you want to use some pistol rounds just match the bolt face to rim diameter. The big 45-70, 45-90, rounds could be done. This is a lower pressure action coming in at around 44,000 psi. So adapt your rifle accordingly. Might get a 348 win or 405 win in it though.
    Last edited by brav01; 03-02-2007 at 15:18. Reason: spelling
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

In Finland they have "wildcatted" the 7.62X54R up and down. In the VV reloading guide they have loads for most of them. I really liked the look of the 9.3X54R.

Post 9.3x54R would be a good AK bush caliber

using the existing 54R brass would be the easiest way to do it. Getting a chamber reamer may be a trick.

I want this rifle to be a bush gun that chucks a .338 to a .375 bullet at a low, but effective velocity to knock down med-big game. I want to be able to take a cheap rifle and by a simple barrel swap, turn it into a hard-core Alaskan Bush Rifle that can take on all game. Ultimatly the idea is a man can invest 250.00 and have a rifle that does the same job a 1000.00 Magnum does. Kind of a custom hunting rifle for the working guy concept.

I want to create a new wildcat using a mosin nagant action. Remove and install an 18.5" barrel. this carbine will be for an Alaskan bush rifle concept using a 45-70 case necked down for a .338 up to a .375 bullet.

My question is:

is there such a round that uses a 45-70 case necked down anywhere from .338 caliber to a .375 caliber that is currently produced or currently used as a wildcat?

I want the 45-70 case as it is close in size to the 7.62x54R Russian cartridge and the bolt would not require that much work.

If you have any info on production loads or wildcats,(Murphy?) can you please forward it to me, or post it?

Default .348 Winchester

Or perhaps the older .33 Winchester.
    There's the .375 JDJ, but it's based on a .444 Marlin case.