Thread: Waterproof Feathers?

Wink Waterproof Feathers?

For those bowhunters who shoot feather fletching what do you use to waterproof them? I"ve tried the powder, hair spray, silacone products, plastic bags and, to date found nothing that has any staying power. Any suggestions out there?
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Goose feathers...more expensive but natually waterproof

Wink

Thanks, Erik may give them a try. Bill.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Rain and stain from payless.

In extreme conditions (like southeast ALaska), I've used this and baby bottle liners and it worked great. Stick the baby bottle liners broadhead through the bottom and find a small rubber band to sit behind the back of the fletchings. The baby bottle liner will rip before it'll mash the feathers, leaving you with good fletchings even after day sof downpours and extreme humidity.

The one thing you have to be cautious of is smashing those feathers. They may not be wet per say however the air is humid and you'd better believe they are sucking a little of it up. Lay those feathers down on things, or brush them up on the way in, and nothings going to work. Be aware of where you're sticking bow, or arrow quiver when she's wet outside and this will work just fine.