Thread: 1984 Almar Lite

Default 1984 Almar Lite

Just curious, does anybody know what a rough value for a 17' 1984 Almar lite would be; it is in good shape, but I really don't know too much about this boat in particular. Also, what is the going rate for a barely used 2005 Honda 65 Jet outboard motor? There also appears to be some fairly large rocks wedged next to the exhaust tube, is this something I should be concerned about?

Quote Originally Posted by fssks17 View Post
    Just curious, does anybody know what a rough value for a 17' 1984 Almar lite would be; it is in good shape, but I really don't know too much about this boat in particular. Also, what is the going rate for a barely used 2005 Honda 65 Jet outboard motor? There also appears to be some fairly large rocks wedged next to the exhaust tube, is this something I should be concerned about?
    Almar makes a good hull, they are tough but can be heavy........not always a bad thing, usally better than too light.
    The honda 65 would be minimum power and I suspect it could be underpowered if you wanted to fill the boat up. Is it 65 at the power head or at the jet? If at the powerhead than it would be really underpowered.

A few rocks around the exhaust tube is not a big deal. if you look at the bottom of the jet foot you will most likely see a few bent bars, bent just enough to let a bigger rock through than what will go out the business end.

That happens often if you run shallow, you can remove the rods that hold the bars and straighten the bars back out. Most likely will be able to reuse the bars. sometimes the ends of the rods get damaged and may have to replace, usally the one at that back is the one that gets all the abuse.

Whats is worth????? there is a couple on craigs for under 10K, depends on the condition of the hull, windshield or console? canvas? whats the trailer like? How old is the motor? Doubt it has a tunnel, but nice option if it does.

It would have to be really nice to be worth more 8-10K and that would be on the high side, but even if its nice at 6K and underpowered, than you are looking at some bucks to repower, unless you are willing to scrounge around and buy a used motor........

MHO..........for what its worth.....
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

i SOLD MY 86 18' INBORD LAST YER FOR AROUND $6k.. i WIOULD GUESS YOU COULD GET CLOSE TO THIS IF IT IS IN GOOD SHAPE.. DEPENDS ON HOW LONG YOU ARE WILLING TO HAVE IT FOR SALE. SHOULD GO QUICK FOR AROUND $4500

Some additional info: I once had a 17' Almar lite (about that year) with a 115 Yamaha. I wouldn't want less power. I ran it with a pump for the rivers and a lower unit for the salt.

We had one for about 8 yrs with a 2 stroke 40 on it; suprisingly it would run pretty good with 3 big guys (all over 200 lbs each) and gear; even on the Kenai upstream it'd do pretty well with the right prop. Think we had about 8k in it back then; pristine shape. One thing we did was have a full height splash well welded around the cut-out in the transom. Wish we'd kept the boat, we sold it when the Kenai went to 4 stroke and the runabout layout wasn't great for river fishing. The guy who has it now put a permanent fuel tank under the floor and repowered with a 50 yamaha 4 stroke; can't go wrong with an Almar.