Thread: Electric Fence for a bear deterrent

Default Electric Fence for a bear deterrent

Anybody using one? Solar powered? Success??? Failures? Worth the investment?

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ars.bearfences

Here's a good summary from Alaska Dept. of Fish & Game. It was a handout at a well-done program last night at BLM Campbell Creek Science Center on fences, bear behavior, cabin "armoring", and related topics. it was prompted in part by a large number of break-ins west of around Mile 130 last fall.

Another brochure on them is from NPS: http://www.nps.gov/kefj/parkmgmt/upl...ountry%20s.pdf

Very good info thanks for the post toofewweekends.
    Quote Originally Posted by toofewweekends View Post
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ars.bearfences

Here's a good summary from Alaska Dept. of Fish & Game. It was a handout at a well-done program last night at BLM Campbell Creek Science Center on fences, bear behavior, cabin "armoring", and related topics. it was prompted in part by a large number of break-ins west of around Mile 130 last fall.

Another brochure on them is from NPS: http://www.nps.gov/kefj/parkmgmt/upl...ountry%20s.pdf
    May God Bless The USA!
    If you don't study and understand history, your doomed to repeat it!

Thanx TooFew,

That is the info I needed. Now hope it works!!!!

Thumbs up Very Effective

Every cabin within about a mile and a half of us got hit by a bear last summer (Trapper Creek area). Ours was the only one with an e-fence and the only one not broken into. Well worth the money.

What is the battery life on electric fences?

Depends on what you use. The solar ones work fine in the summer, and that's the time the bears are out anyway. 12V battery ones I used when we had livestock lasted a month.

Default 3 week battery life

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    What is the battery life on electric fences?
    I'm pretty sure that the directions that came with my UDAP fence said 3 weeks, unless it zapped someone. The uncertainty factor led me to also buy a digital readout voltmeter. Sure enough, the first time I hooked up my fence I screwed it up and it had zero volts. So I rechecked, fixed what I did wrong, and it showed about 5,000 volts I think. I check it upon leaving camp and also first thing upon returning to camp.

Mine is an extraordinarily large one (90 feet by 90 feet) with 8 poles, and it uses D cell batteries. I always travel with spares, but since I don't backpack hunt any more, weight is not a concern (though my fence itself weighs only 4 pounds I think).

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the directions that came with my UDAP fence said 3 weeks, unless it zapped someone. The uncertainty factor led me to also buy a digital readout voltmeter. Sure enough, the first time I hooked up my fence I screwed it up and it had zero volts. So I rechecked, fixed what I did wrong, and it showed about 5,000 volts I think. I check it upon leaving camp and also first thing upon returning to camp.

Mine is an extraordinarily large one (90 feet by 90 feet) with 8 poles, and it uses D cell batteries. I always travel with spares, but since I don't backpack hunt any more, weight is not a concern (though my fence itself weighs only 4 pounds I think).
    Thanks, while my wife enjoys everything outdoors she refuses to sleep in a tent in bear country. I told her that I could get her a electric fence if that would make her comfortable. Upon showing here some photo's she quickly determined that it wasn't the best idea because it needs power..... Weight isn't an issue with the ranger, I just have to convince her how safe she'll be at night.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    Thanks, while my wife enjoys everything outdoors she refuses to sleep in a tent in bear country.
    Google bear fence for her and that will make her sleep better - after you have one.

I understand the cheapest way into a fence is to build your own; seems like I heard Alaska Feed & Mill (in Anchorage, by the ULU factory) was the/a source. I didn't know the individual pieces required so I bought a UDAP fence from ebay (google it for more info) for a good price; I did go extra large and put it in an oblong configuration and put my food tent (cheap little kiddee tent) as far away from me (yet inside the perimeter) as possible. I figure if one makes it through the fence he'll choose the food tent over the people tent, and I'll have time to grab (right by my head) my glasses, combat light, sheathed knife (to cut my way out of the tent if need be, since I have a floored tent) and large caliber revolver. Just a theory.

It is supposed to be safer to have a separate food fence, but that doubles the cost. Don't skimp on buying a digital voltmeter though; they aren't expensive and give you (& your wife) piece of mind that its in place and right.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Don't skimp on buying a digital voltmeter though; they aren't expensive and give you (& your wife) piece of mind that its in place and right.
    You don't need that. Touching it with your finger will tell you what you need to know!

Quote Originally Posted by NRick View Post
    You don't need that. Touching it with your finger will tell you what you need to know!
    Yeah, using your finger is even more silly.

Everyone knows that peeing on it will let you know what its charge is, in a more memorable way.

I have been using a solar powered electric fence around my cabins for years now and on one occasion I could read "sign" that indicated it worked very nicely to scare a bear who nosed into it into turning 180 degrees and running so fast that it left skid marks! On coming back to the cabin after a week or so I have almost always to repair the line - something broke the connections, probably moose or caribou. Before installing this system I had several break-ins by bears. I do believe it works.

RCX_0004_2.jpgRCX_0081.jpg
    Well I bit the bullet this last year and installed an electric fence. It was a better salmon and berry year so there were not as many bears up high, but no break ins. We did have some walk by's though. You can see the fence in the pics near the bottom. The ladder is so I can reach up and turn the solar fence off. I move the steps away from the porch so the bear can get "grounded."

RCX_0083.jpgRCX_0012.jpg

I think this was the same bear. He looks a little fatter right before winter. It is nice with the snow in the second photo because you can see where the bear came from and how he is keeping his distance from the cabin.

several years ago we had a problem with a bear who kept knocking down the stand pipes over our septic tank. i put up an electric fence after i got tired of fixing them everytime i went out to the cabin. no more problems all summer. however i used one that ran off d cell batteries. i left it up in the fall the last time i was out. next spring when i first went out i found the remnants of the fencing and the posts shredded up and spread all over the place. i asssume the bear got his revenge on the fence after the batteries died. we still get the occasion bear damage from them nosing around but now i just live with it.