Thread: thoughts on prop guards

Default thoughts on prop guards

I have a 18 hp outboard and was looking at getting a prop guard for it, only thing is they are pretty expensive!
    so I was thinking if a guy had a welder and some spare time... He could probably make one.

by looking at some of the models on the market I have a prety good idea about how I would go about making one, but I still have a few questions.

a. are their any hydrodynamic issues that might come back to bite me?
    b. how much distance should I have between the guard and prop so rocks don't get stuck?
    c. is this even possible???
    d. has anybody ever heard of someone doing this before?

Thanks
    BD

I have a Mac's river runner guard on the 6hp that I use with my porta bote. There's about 1/2 inch clearance on mine. My prop is a little dinged up due to my finely honed ability to locate all of the shallowest parts of 20 mile. I've nailed a few real thumpers and feel that with out it my skeg and prop would both be mere memories. I'm sure anyone with basic welding skills could make one. This is the only unit I've used so I can't comment on other brands or the ease/difficulty of their replication.

Quote Originally Posted by Blade Dude View Post
    I have a 18 hp outboard and was looking at getting a prop guard for it, only thing is they are pretty expensive!
    so I was thinking if a guy had a welder and some spare time... He could probably make one.

by looking at some of the models on the market I have a prety good idea about how I would go about making one, but I still have a few questions.

a. are their any hydrodynamic issues that might come back to bite me?
    b. how much distance should I have between the guard and prop so rocks don't get stuck?
    c. is this even possible???
    d. has anybody ever heard of someone doing this before?

Thanks
    BD
    I built a pretty simple one for a guy last year I believe I had about 3/4" clearance, I will see if I have any or can get any pics of it
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Pictures would be great! Thank you ironartist!

Gary,
    I feel for you, my first trip up the twentymile was when I decided I needed a prop guard... made it up to river mile 8 though

thanks for the info

i ran one of the skag mounted guards not the one that goes around the prop last moose season and had cavitation problems

Love the Hydroshields been using them for years on lots of different boats.

http://www.hydro-shield.com/

Put a pair on my twin Honda OB on my 20' Koffler gets on step quicker and same speed. GPS,d it before and after.
    Had them on 3 Zodiaks, Grumman Sport boat and several other boats. Used to run the Sport Boat a lot on the
    Little Sue upstream from Burma got tired of replacing props. You still hit but left motor in unlocked position and
    had little prop damage with the Hydroshield.