Thread: fuel filter

Default fuel filter

Do you change the filter every season?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Considering I have had issues with water, yes. Nothing like a poor running boat in the open sea due to an $8 filter. I posted a question in relation to this and got some good responses. If I find it I'll post it.

filters are very cheep insurance

I've always had water seperators on my filter assmbly. I see no need to change the filter cartridge every year. I've never had any problem. I always carry a new cartridge in the tool kit anyway.

Default Filter

Yes, every year. I keep the old one for a spare.

Default I do

I use a racor with the clear plastic. easy to see when it needs emptied. and the fuel filters on the motor i just clean out and put back in. the racors are $22 for a replacement. I usually by two and then have one for the next season or spare this season. Plus it saves on shipping, have to order. I was told to replace every year and I do. Why chance it. You wanna be stuck out of whittier when the 10 seas are blowing and your motors die? Not worth it. Even in the it just causes you to miss the tunnel.

yes every year.

Default fuel filters

On my Hondas, I replace the filter and drain the separator in the motor while I am winterizing the motors fuel injection system. I have Racor water/fuel separators in line also and replace the cartridge after the fuel that overwintered has been used.

Racor makes a add on water alarm light/buzzer for their filters, you just replace the see-thru bowl with a new bowl with the probes installed and wire it up to the alarm light/buzzer that goes on your dashboard. I've had mine for years and its sure nice to know when your filter is filling up with water. A boat i fished on in Bristol Bay didn't have the alarm on its Racor, we got a big load of water in the fuel from a tender, well it filled the racor up and went right into the engine, blew off a few tips from the injectors and it cost the owner a couple of thousand bucks to get the parts and a mechanic flown in to get us running again. He listened to me and got a alarm ASAP.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I have the regular screw on filter, which I change at the beginning of the year, then half way through the season. This year I am going to switch to a water/separator that has the bowl on it.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

After reading all these responses I think I will change mine out this spring.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Cool

Hey Alaska Grey,

If you don't post a picture of your boat so we can make sure we can give you a tow back. LOL

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    Hey Alaska Grey,

If you don't post a picture of your boat so we can make sure we can give you a tow back. LOL

It's on here
    I shouldn't need a tow back. I shouldn't need a tow back. I have enough oars for my friends to paddle us back
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I'm not out on the open seas like you guys, I am on the Kuskokwim River, but I have two of the filters with seperator bowls on the bottoms. I set-up the filters in-line to feed my 175 h.p. Johnson outboard. We have quite a bit of condensation in the fuel at the local tank farm.
    I drain a small portion of fuel from each filter before going for a ride, and change the filter themselves at the beginning of the season, and approximately at the middle of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    I'm not out on the open seas like you guys, I am on the Kuskokwim River, but I have two of the filters with seperator bowls on the bottoms. I set-up the filters in-line to feed my 175 h.p. Johnson outboard. We have quite a bit of condensation in the fuel at the local tank farm.
    I drain a small portion of fuel from each filter before going for a ride, and change the filter themselves at the beginning of the season, and approximately at the middle of the season.
    Why inline? Would not just one filter do the trick or do you get a lot of water out of the second filter?

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Default Rotten Gas

Out in Dillingham we have horrid gas issues with water, rust, sand (it's true) so I change mine every year and watch it like a hawk during the season. In the villages upriver (Nushagak) lots of poor gas too, and would hate to have to drift home because of water issues if I can help it. Also alternate Heet and injector cleaner every tank in my truck too....and all this quality for 4.61 a gallon....and more.

You guys need to use a Mr. Funnel. There's no excuse for pumping sediment into your boat tanks. Maybe that's why my filter doesn't get dirty.

Default Got one

Oh indeed MR. Pid, I use a mister funnel....sometimes twice, if the gas sat for any amount of time....but I'm not risking my greatest (and newest, most expensive and favorite) toy to dirty gas in any way. Southwest Alaska without a functioning boat is something akin to my worst nightmare. But you're right. Mr. Funnels do a large amount of the work for you when it comes to straining gas for your engine.

My background is airplanes. Pilots are taught to be ANAL about fuel contamination. It trickles down to everything I put gas in.

And I'm sure your passengers appreciate it greatly