Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Prescription non Prescription Medications do bring along?

Default What Prescription non Prescription Medications do bring along?

Am going on a 12 day hunt and spoke with my MD during this check-up and asked for some preventative/precautionary medications. I receieved prescriptions for

1 a broad spectrum antibiotic: Cipro

2 an anti cold/respiratory antibiotic: Z pack

3 an Analgesic - pain medication (Codeine and Tylenol)

4 a topical antibiotic silver sulfadiazine

I was advised to bring non prescription

antihistamine for a possible allergic reaction

Imodium AD for Montezuma's Revenge

What do you guys bring for extended stays in the bush?

Ibuprofen, anti-diareha (OTC), anti-nausea (prescription leftovers zofran), benadryl, antacid tabs, halls lozenges, lip-balm, Neosporin, alcohol swabs (foil packets), multiple vitamin, I think that's it.

Only thing I might add is Anbesol for a possible toothache. Other than that, your list is good.

Yes let me add antacids aspirin (for heart) vitamins

Giardia.......You don't have anything that covers it. I know the symptoms take about 1-2 weeks from ingestion, but I would ask my doc for Flagyl just in case. Cipro is a great broad spetrum abx, so wonder why the z-pak as well.....I guess if you have the room why not. My backcountry meds are Flagyl, Cipro, Immodium, Motrin.

I also bring an antiemetic (in case of vomitting that is leading to dehydration) and antibiotic eye ointment (nothing like a corneal abrasion to ruin a trip).

Quote Originally Posted by RCBOWHUNTER View Post
    Giardia.......You don't have anything that covers it. I know the symptoms take about 1-2 weeks from ingestion, but I would ask my doc for Flagyl just in case. Cipro is a great broad spetrum abx, so wonder why the z-pak as well.....I guess if you have the room why not. My backcountry meds are Flagyl, Cipro, Immodium, Motrin.
    Z pack are more for respiratory infections

I usually just carry ibuprofen, tylenol, and neosporin. I have a few other things in my first aid kit, but that it is for meds unless you count chapstick.

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    I usually just carry ibuprofen, tylenol, and neosporin. I have a few other things in my first aid kit, but that it is for meds unless you count chapstick.
    Nothing for diarrhea or vomiting? To me I think it's the most important. I can get by without ibuprofen (not that I want too!) but diarrhea and vomiting will dehydrate and weaken a guy quick. Bad news on a long walkin hunt. I've been pretty fortunate but in the last couple years on two seperate trips my partners got the gurgles and squirts bad. I gave em some of me anti-diareah meds and it helped em both a bunch. Happened within the first 2 days of 7+ day hunts.

Z pack are more for respiratory infections
    Yep your right! Macrolides cover URIs very well. I just don't see the point of taking so many meds, esp. two different classes of antibiotics. My personal opinion is bring one good broad spectrum antibiotic like Cipro, and your covered....that's all. My .02

I travel fast and light and carry very little in the way of meds: Aspirin, multi-vitamins, chap stick, sun screen, alcohol wipes, prep H, foot care - medicated foot powder, blister treatment.

Synd makes a very important point on the diarrhea and vomiting, either affliction are a real possibility in your travels. I prefer to stay away from medications as much as possible and carry and use natural remedies like ginger (root or spice) and peppermint (candies) which are also good for treating heartburn.

I believe cleanliness and good personal hygiene are the best prevention to sickness in the field. Handi Wipes, alcohol wipes, or hand sanitizer to clean your hands after toilet and prior and post food consumption. Clean hands, eating/cooking gear are important to ward off various intestinal illnesses.

Of course bring along any prescription medications you currently take. Injuries are a whole other matter and best left to another thread. TS

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Quote Originally Posted by Robertesq1 View Post
    Z pack
    that's the only Rx I bring with the exception of the ones my Doc says I have to take everyday. It usually kills what ails ya, and within a day and a half you're back in the pink.

The tougher thing is to find a Doc. that will prescribe one for you just because you're headed afield and want it for possible field use; most will not.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    that's the only Rx I bring with the exception of the ones my Doc says I have to take everyday. It usually kills what ails ya, and within a day and a half you're back in the pink.

The tougher thing is to find a Doc. that will prescribe one for you just because you're headed afield and want it for possible field use; most will not.
    My doctors have never hesitated to provide precautionary meds.

Buncha woosies. Davie Crocket never carried no dang antibiotics in the woods.

Seriously though, if you've found a doc who will dump all that stuff on you for a JIC field kit, then you've got a serious pill pushin' doc... not that there's anything wrong with that, so long as you are responsible with all them drugs.

I wouldn't have done the T3 or the silvadene. Silvadene is used on burns. Not very good for cuts and scrapes kind of stuff. Just use OTC neosporin for that stuff.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Buncha woosies. Davie Crocket never carried no dang antibiotics in the woods.

Seriously though, if you've found a doc who will dump all that stuff on you for a JIC field kit, then you've got a serious pill pushin' doc... not that there's anything wrong with that, so long as you are responsible with all them drugs.

I wouldn't have done the T3 or the silvadene. Silvadene is used on burns. Not very good for cuts and scrapes kind of stuff. Just use OTC neosporin for that stuff.
    I'm 54 y/o ret leo and practice law not really someone the dr sees as irresponsible or a drug risk, either as a user or seller... ymmv

It's a legit request in my book and a practice I began many years ago when traveling to 3rd world or into deep country where med attention is unavailable.

I'm not a dr nor do I play one on TV, but was told this topical cream would cover all external infections including burns from fires. Quick check seems to suggest its a very strong/broad antimicrobial... Not sure that OTC neosporin is better. Do you know anything I should know???

FYI:

Results of In Vitro Testing with Silvadene® Cream 1% (silver sulfadiazine) Concentration of Silver Sulfadiazine Number of Sensitive Strains/Total Number of Strains Tested Genus & Species 50 μg/mL 100 μg/mL Pseudomonas

aeruginosa 130/130 130/130

Xanthomonas (Pseudomonas)

maltophilia 7/7 7/7

Enterobacter species 48/50 50/50

Enterobacter cloacae 24/24 24/24

Klebsiella species 53/54 54/54

Escherichia coli 63/63 63/63

Serratia species 27/28 28/28

Proteus mirabilis 53/53 53/53

Morganella morganii 10/10 10/10

Providencia rettgeri 2/2 2/2

Providencia species 1/1 1/1

Proteus vulgaris 2/2 2/2

Citrobacter species 10/10 10/10

Acinetobacter calcoaceticus 10/11 11/11

Staphylococcus aureus 100/101 100/101

Staphylococcus epidermidis 51/51 51/51

β-Hemolytic Streptococcus 4/4 4/4

Enterococcus species 52/53 53/53

Corynebacterium- diphtheriae 2/2 2/2

Clostridium perfringens 0/2 2/2

Candida albicans 43/50 50/50

Sure, silvadene "can" be used on other things, but in practice its sole prescribed use is on 2nd and 3rd degree burns. Feel free to look it up.

In real world practice, we use straight up OTC Neosporin (neomycin/bacitracin/polymyxin) for nearly every cut or scrape that gets professional medical treatment. It simply works.

And this product is available at the grocery store for under 5 bucks.
    Your tub of silvadene costs around $75 at the pharmacy.

Oh, I guess I could share my own JIC drug list...

OTC:
    Aspirin (packets)
    Acetaminophin (Tylenol packets)
    Ibuprofen (Advil packets)
    Diphenhydramine (Benadryl)
    Famotidine (Pepcid AC)
    Loperamide (Immodium A-D)
    Loratadine (Claritin)
    Bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto-Bismol, chewables)
    Clove Oil (tooth aches)
    Chewable antacid (Tums)
    Glucose gel
    Saline eye wash
    Phenylephrine (Sudafed)
    And a multi-symptom cough/cold medicine containing guaifenesin (Mucinex) and dextromethorphan or equivalent cough suppressant

Rx:
    Nitroglycerin tablets
    Gentamicin ophthalmic solution (eye antibiotic)
    Augmentin or Keflex (antibiotic)
    Toradol, injection (pain, non-narcotic)
    Tamiflu dose-pak (anti-viral)

This list will grow or shrink depending on the situation and destination.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

What about calamine lotion? I also bring hydrocortizone cream. Any body else bring this stuff?

Another thing I like to bring is those scott wet wipes. Unlike toilet paper, you don't have to worry about getting them wet.......and you don't want monkey butt when you're dragging a boat accross shallow sections of river all day, or hiking all day. Might as well completely cleanse yourself after a quick healthy grunt on the go.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    What about calamine lotion? I also bring hydrocortizone cream. Any body else bring this stuff?

Another thing I like to bring is those scott wet wipes. Unlike toilet paper, you don't have to worry about getting them wet.......and you don't want monkey butt when you're dragging a boat accross shallow sections of river all day, or hiking all day. Might as well completely cleanse yourself after a quick healthy grunt on the go.
    Oh yes wetwipes r on the list....

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Sure, silvadene "can" be used on other things, but in practice its sole prescribed use is on 2nd and 3rd degree burns. Feel free to look it up.

In real world practice, we use straight up OTC Neosporin (neomycin/bacitracin/polymyxin) for nearly every cut or scrape that gets professional medical treatment. It simply works.

And this product is available at the grocery store for under 5 bucks.
    Your tub of silvadene costs around $75 at the pharmacy.

Oh, I guess I could share my own JIC drug list...

OTC:
    Aspirin (packets)
    Acetaminophin (Tylenol packets)
    Ibuprofen (Advil packets)
    Diphenhydramine (Benadryl)
    Famotidine (Pepcid AC)
    Loperamide (Immodium A-D)
    Loratadine (Claritin)
    Bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto-Bismol, chewables)
    Clove Oil (tooth aches)
    Chewable antacid (Tums)
    Glucose gel
    Saline eye wash
    Phenylephrine (Sudafed)
    And a multi-symptom cough/cold medicine containing guaifenesin (Mucinex) and dextromethorphan or equivalent cough suppressant

Rx:
    Nitroglycerin tablets
    Gentamicin ophthalmic solution (eye antibiotic)
    Augmentin or Keflex (antibiotic)
    Toradol, injection (pain, non-narcotic)
    Tamiflu dose-pak (anti-viral)

This list will grow or shrink depending on the situation and destination.

Good list and info... will consider eye antibiotice. not sure why Tamiflu over Z pack though.

Ok..... QFT so it sounds like you're an md, but an injectionable pain reliever is unavailable to most (I know, I asked), ergo the T3, and it seems your own personal RX list is quite extensive, given the pill pushing comment.

Default Don't look now

Quote Originally Posted by Robertesq1 View Post
    Oh yes wetwipes r on the list....
    Some things just can't be unseen. I think wet ones made everybody's list thanks to Mainer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast