Thread: Caribou Hunting for Mr. and Mrs.????

Smile Caribou Hunting for Mr. and Mrs.????

So the wife wants to hunt this year and with the recommendation of friends, caribou is the quarry. I have looked at fly-ins and the haul road, but am trying to narrow down a hunt that is pleasuarble to way of the wife. A float hunt looks inviting with a good chance of success and a chance to really experience some of the state. On a budget, any suggestions for a float hunt outfitter that is not going to require thousands of dollars? Willing to spend some money, just trying to not break the bank. will need the boat at a minimum provided! Any suggestions and experiences the forum would like to share would be greatly appreciated. Even if somone is planning a hunt this year and wants company, would love to entertain the idea! We are both hard workers, 30-years old and love hunting and fishing. Based out of Anchorage. Have all the gear except the boat! Thanks!

TGJ

1) Call Bluemoose or go to AK Raft and Kayak for the boat.
    2) Contact Mike at operations@seventynorth.com
    3) Have a blast flying out of Happy Valley, whacking as many caribou as you care to process, possible griz, wolf, sheep (last year a 99/100 curl crossed the river yards in front of me).
    4) Go last week in August (poss first few days of Sept.) for "fresh" hard horns.
    5) Or just skip the rafting and fly both ways, into the bush and out.
    6) Spend a weekend in the forum archives.
    Simple, Trip planned!

Here's a trip AlaskaTrueAdventure is alluding to in his post.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ght=birdstrike

We're going back again this August. I'd love to go later in the month, but the kids have to be back for school. Aside from the flight, the boat rental will be your biggest expense. One option is to buy a used boat and then sell it after the trip for what you paid for it. However, you'll probably be hooked and end up keeping the raft. A 14' round raft would probably be perfect for the 2 of you.

PM me if you'd like more details.

Thanks to both AKTrueAdbenture and Bird. Bird, I have to agree with your fans, that was a great post. I have read it twice now and i am fired up. Very refreshing! Your trip was exactly the kind i am wanting the wife and i to experience. I will be doing some home-work on the boat for sure. I hoping to do some shoping at the show this weekend. I will definalty be calling 70 North to get it lined up. Thank you, Thank you for sharing! I can see there is lots more to read on my question.

TGJ

Here are a few links to some hunt report from hunts the wife and have done have fun and be safe.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...rip?highlight=

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...bou?highlight=

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Thanks Stid! Those are both great threads with tons of helpful infotmation. Pictures say a thousand words. The wife says the Bear Fence is a must and to be honest, it's hard to argue with that. I can see that i still have lots of planning to do and i am looking forward to the challenge. Is the reason i can't PM because i am so knew? I have read through the FAQ section and it basically says i have to be a registered member and as far as i can tell, i am. Thanks again!

TGJ

Quote Originally Posted by TGJ View Post
    Thanks Stid! Those are both great threads with tons of helpful infotmation. Pictures say a thousand words. The wife says the Bear Fence is a must and to be honest, it's hard to argue with that. I can see that i still have lots of planning to do and i am looking forward to the challenge. Is the reason i can't PM because i am so knew? I have read through the FAQ section and it basically says i have to be a registered member and as far as i can tell, i am. Thanks again!

TGJ
    For PM privileges you need 30 days and 10 post I believe, that is to prevent spam. I ask Brian who is the admin to enable them for you.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Thanks Steve. I really appreciate you doing that for me.

TGJ