Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Short Fishing Video

Default Short Fishing Video

I made a short video fishing for kings and was looking to get feedback from it. Please check out the link and comment on the production (good or bad)

Yea I already know about the bad net job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTVk5nktS2g

Thanks
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

good video
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Smile

I have been dreaming of fishing and my gear is all over the garage right now. So it is cool to watch someone catch a nice fish. The video was ok except for the unsteady close ups, kinda made me go wacky.

I know you said you were aware of the net job, hehe. I can't resist though....ok......umm......chasing a fish from the tail....not an efficient use of a net.

enjoyed the video, a bit shakey, but hey it's hand held..............just one other thing, take the net away from your partner and slap his hands anytime he reaches for it

Fun to watch. What camera do you use and what editing software?

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    I have been dreaming of fishing and my gear is all over the garage right now. So it is cool to watch someone catch a nice fish. The video was ok except for the unsteady close ups, kinda made me go wacky.

I know you said you were aware of the net job, hehe. I can't resist though....ok......umm......chasing a fish from the tail....not an efficient use of a net.
    Thanks for the look AKBighorn...I have been downloading old video to my puter for digital clips. Net boy was worried about the current and did not want to step out or move around to much. I have a new camera now with steady cam features...will try this summer see how it goes.

TSS

Quote Originally Posted by 2PawsRiver View Post
    enjoyed the video, a bit shakey, but hey it's hand held..............just one other thing, take the net away from your partner and slap his hands anytime he reaches for it

He has got better with the net...and so have I... I gave him 2 slaps across his f&%*in$ mouth because I like him!! The video is from about 5 years ago! Tried to edit out some really bad parts of shaky syndrome...it was a sony handycam. Thanks for the looks and comments!

TSS

Quote Originally Posted by Alasken View Post
    Fun to watch. What camera do you use and what editing software?

Thanks Alasken ... flimed with a Sony handycam and using windows movie maker on the puter.

I lost the handycam down my ice hole . No LIE!! I have since gotten a new video camera.

Thanks for the looks

TSS

Talking Painful to watch . . . .

Enjoyed the video, but Painful to watch .... Net the fish man! Reminded me of a few 'net jobs' I've seen in the past. At least he wasn't running up and down the bank chasing the fish! LoL

Still, you gotta love anything to pass the time before fishing season.

Here's hoping for a short(er) winter!

-- Gambler

Just two words:

HEAD FIRST!

Otherwise fun to watch. We could really feel your excitement in that clip.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Good video! This winter stuff is getting old, need spring, now.

Since we are on the net subject I'll add my two cents. I am not a big fan of nets, and almost never use one anymore. When I do I will not let anyone net my fish head first, NEVER. I have lost more fish with the head first tactic than I can stomach. The reason being is the hook can sometimes catch the net, the fish will take off and the hook will be left in the net. Also if the net isnt used properly it will make contact with a tight line. I have had nets that touch a tight line snap and create slack ultimately loosing the fish. I know it goes against the grain but tail first is what works for me.

If theres a beach I'll just drag the fish on the beach. If I am in a boat I will reach down and grab the fish after it has been played out. Both scenarios are used when I plan to keep the fish on the end of my line.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambler View Post
    Enjoyed the video, but Painful to watch .... Net the fish man! Reminded me of a few 'net jobs' I've seen in the past. At least he wasn't running up and down the bank chasing the fish! LoL

Still, you gotta love anything to pass the time before fishing season.

Here's hoping for a short(er) winter!

-- Gambler
    Thanks for the looks Gambler!

I remembered this trip about 5 years ago and given my buddy a hard time about the net job when it was happening. I thought it would be a good segment to start with for editing appplications. You got it exactly right just passing the time until summer comes!! Looks like the video getting lots of views cause I got 1 honor from youtube for today it! Heading to Nenana for tripod festivities this weekend.

TSS

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Just two words:

HEAD FIRST!

Otherwise fun to watch. We could really feel your excitement in that clip.
    Just one word: SWEET! (I get sick salmon fever, glad you enjoy)

TSS

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Good video! This winter stuff is getting old, need spring, now.

Thanks, can not wait for warmer weather and some open water!

Since we are on the net subject I'll add my two cents. I am not a big fan of nets, and almost never use one anymore. When I do I will not let anyone net my fish head first, NEVER. I have lost more fish with the head first tactic than I can stomach. The reason being is the hook can sometimes catch the net, the fish will take off and the hook will be left in the net. Also if the net isnt used properly it will make contact with a tight line. I have had nets that touch a tight line snap and create slack ultimately loosing the fish. I know it goes against the grain but tail first is what works for me.

Heck, when me and my buddy go fishing we usually try on purpose to knock the other guy's salmon off with the net (especially if its bigger than the salmon previsouly caught by me)

If theres a beach I'll just drag the fish on the beach. If I am in a boat I will reach down and grab the fish after it has been played out. Both scenarios are used when I plan to keep the fish on the end of my line.
    Yea its all different when your fishing for food! Thanks for the looks at the video! I really enjoy the feedback!

TSS

Three things you can do to really improve your video is...

1)use a tripod. you don't have to spend a ton on a great tripod to see a huge jump in quality in your videos.

2) shoot from different vantage points for some variety. get some close ups,far away shots,middle shots,details,low angle shots,ect and cut and splice it together. a guy standing and filming for 3 minutes from the same spot gets a little dull. i'd rather look at a single minute of great video then 3 minutes of something that needs to be edited down and pretty one dimensional.

3) shut up! film it and don't do the comments two inches from your mic!!!! every now and then it can work but the other 98% it's just pretty awful.

anyway,hope some of this helps, good luck and have fun with it.

indy

Never ever net a king from the tail!! NEVER EVER!!!!!! Head first!!!!!!!!I have netted 1000's, never ever from the tail!!! NEVER EVER!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by indyjones View Post
    Three things you can do to really improve your video is...

1)use a tripod. you don't have to spend a ton on a great tripod to see a huge jump in quality in your videos.

good point...i got one I simply did not pack it in on this trip.

2) shoot from different vantage points for some variety. get some close ups,far away shots,middle shots,details,low angle shots,ect and cut and splice it together. a guy standing and filming for 3 minutes from the same spot gets a little dull. i'd rather look at a single minute of great video then 3 minutes of something that needs to be edited down and pretty one dimensional.

good points...well taken...Its hard to find a good camera operator, Heck you seen how he shoots the film...And you want him to try and figure out how to set up a tripod.

3) shut up! film it and don't do the comments two inches from your mic!!!! every now and then it can work but the other 98% it's just pretty awful.

Ahhh ...Thats more than half the fun...guess you had to be there? If you only knew the whole story

anyway,hope some of this helps, good luck and have fun with it.

Points well taken...thanks for the looks and comments. FUN is the Salmon Slayers goal and tryng to get through this COLD and see some open water!

indy

Thanks Again TSS

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    Never ever net a king from the tail!! NEVER EVER!!!!!! Head first!!!!!!!!I have netted 1000's, never ever from the tail!!! NEVER EVER!!!!!
    Yukon

Never ever tail first or Never ever head first? I was in the Infantry for 22 years if you can just write it once for me so I could understand

Just a joke ...I figured the "You don't know how to net a fish" post would be coming out soon...

Thanks for the looks and comments! TSS

Against the grain..... tail first. Well, trying to catch something that is really only capable of moving one direction from behind........no logic there. Dragging a fish up on the beach= broken fishing pole. Grabbing a powerful slimmy creature with your hand= wet face. If you don't have a net you can grab a salmon at the base of the tail and most of the time they will quit trying to get away while you unhook it and release. The only time I have seen a fish get the hook caught in the net is if your using treble hooks. They are not allowed in most rivers I have fished and in my opinion are usually pointless. The only trebles in my box are the ones on lures that I was to lazy to replace and end up causing havoc in the net. Not picking here, simply pointing out the obvious from years of observing and taking part.

Jedi,
    Thanks for your 22 years of service, it is greatly appreciated.
    My post wasn't directed at you, there was a post from Water Gremlin that said to net a fish from behind.
    Doc and I talked about it and we have both netted 1000's of salmon, get the head going in the direction of the net, once the kings gets its head in the net, drop the rod and the king swims to the bottom of the net.

I have a bunch of video as well, I will try and get some up on youtube, editing is a pain isn't it, takes much longer than most think!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast