Thread: Shipping a rifle

Default Shipping a rifle

Can my cousin ship a rifle from Washington State to me via the USPS?

Tim

Question is it your gun ie you left it down there? If the answer is yes then yes he can. Now if you bought it off of him it is supposed to go through an FFL holder up here. Let me clarify he can ship (does not have to go through an FFL down there) it but it has to go to an FFL up here if you bought it off of him. Most gunshops wont tell him that or you that because they want to make the 25 bucks + shipping for the FFL transfer fee or whatever to ship it through them to your FFL guy up here.

He's coming up here to hunt with me. So he can only ship it to himself?

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    He's coming up here to hunt with me. So he can only ship it to himself?

Tim
    He can mail it to himself care of you at your address. There is no law requiring him to tell the clerk what is in the box. Lots of insurance. Lots of heavy brown wrapping paper.

What AK Ray said!

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    He can mail it to himself care of you at your address. There is no law requiring him to tell the clerk what is in the box. Lots of insurance. Lots of heavy brown wrapping paper.
    Actually....to ship it USPS, one of the requirements is that it be declared as a firearm. Long gun only. In plain box, not denoting it as a gun. And of course unloaded. That is the USPS requirement. Unless it has changed recently.

I have done this many times just this way.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Actually....to ship it USPS, one of the requirements is that it be declared as a firearm. Long gun only. In plain box, not denoting it as a gun. And of course unloaded. That is the USPS requirement. Unless it has changed recently.

Murphy,

Besides declaring it unloaded do you need to actually show them before sealing the package?

Just wondering if it's anything like checking a rifle case as luggage with an airline.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    Murphy,

Besides declaring it unloaded do you need to actually show them before sealing the package?

Just wondering if it's anything like checking a rifle case as luggage with an airline.
    No you verbally declare that it’s an “unloaded firearm” is all. It should be well packed with no outward indication that it is a firearm so nothing like caution firearm on the outside. I like to ether disassemble (remove bolt, open or remove mag) or use an empty chamber flag so they can tell in an x-ray that it’s safe but that’s not required. Done it many times and had no issues other than an octagonal bug eyed gun fearing postal flunky down in Phoenix.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Looking at the USPS regulations I can find no mention of it being a requirement.

432.1.d - The mailer may be required to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not excluded from mailing because of the restrictions in 432.1b and c.

No where can I find where a "person" has to declare they are shipping a firearm. It appears to be implied so that the USPS can be sure you are not shipping something that is concealable. Lots of rules for firearms mailed in commerce and for concealable firearms, but nothing about a requirement to declare a longarm.

I have not read such a requirement as to declare it a firearm....but from the Post Offices from which I've shipped, all clerks have told me such. So it may or may not be true....I still think it is, and no reason not to. No, I've never had to show the contents. I've been told it must be taped up before I come into the post office. (^%$#@$#@) but that's all. They usually ask; Is it a firearm? Then they ask; is it unloaded. So maybe it is just that it be declared unloaded, it has to be a firearm to declare it unloaded, I guess. It really is no problem except....when clerks in the P.O. are paranoid or hate guns. Then you get the BS.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I have never declared a firearm and have never been asked. But would like to add a helpful hint. If the weapon you are mailing is pretty high value it is often cheaper to mail it registered mail in place of priority.
    By the time you add shipping charges and insurance registered is often less expensive. Ask the clerk for the price both ways. If you go registered all seams must be taped with a special tape.
    Tennessee

Yes you can ship it via the USPS. I would call his local PO and talk to a clerk there about the requirements. am sure you a re getting good info here but it never hurts to get the info from the source.

Why not bring the rifle as a checked bag on the airline?

Just my nickel
    Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Clerks at a PO or for that matter, the Post Master, are more ignorant of firearm shipping policies that the vast majority of shooters. I've had clerks try to tell me I couldnt ship it, it had to be shipped by a dealer, it could only be shipped to a dealer (not true if shipping it to yourself), bolt had to be removed and shipped separate, had to unpack it to prove it was empty, plus other stupid reasons I can't remember.
    If you suspect problems might pop up print out the ATF/USPS rules on shipping a long gun before you set foot in the PO.
    Tennessee

Always best to get information from those that know and as others have said there are many PO workers that are unaware of laws and policies for shipping firearms. Here are a few links addressing shipping of firearms: Link #1, Link #2, Link #3

For my part I use the USPS (it's the only option in Dillingham) and have never encountered a problem. YMMV.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I just shipped a rifle yesterday via USPS, clerk suggested registered mail with insurance vs. priority and insurance. Cost was about the same for both.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    I have never declared a firearm and have never been asked. But would like to add a helpful hint. If the weapon you are mailing is pretty high value it is often cheaper to mail it registered mail in place of priority.
    By the time you add shipping charges and insurance registered is often less expensive. Ask the clerk for the price both ways. If you go registered all seams must be taped with a special tape.

I have not read such a requirement as to declare it a firearm....but from the Post Offices from which I've shipped, all clerks have told me such. So it may or may not be true....I still think it is, and no reason not to. No, I've never had to show the contents. I've been told it must be taped up before I come into the post office. (^%$#@$#@) but that's all. They usually ask; Is it a firearm? Then they ask; is it unloaded. So maybe it is just that it be declared unloaded, it has to be a firearm to declare it unloaded, I guess. It really is no problem except....when clerks in the P.O. are paranoid or hate guns. Then you get the BS.
    That mirrors my experiences exactly. When I was first told it had to be declared years ago I was handed a pamphlet and shown where the firearms info was in it, It said in there “firearms must be declared and unloaded.” Couple years ago I ran into the same wording on the website. It may be part of the GCA 1968 rather than a Postal regulation, don’t know, but I’m sure it at least used to be required.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I too have shipped guns by way of USPS, and yes that most of them do not know their own rules for shipping a firearm. Ship it in a plain brown box plenty of packing material to secure the goods and nothing on the outside of the box stating that it is a firearm.
    You can declare it to the post office employee if you like by just stating it is a firearm and it is unloaded and there is no ammo in the box. Or you can just ship it and get back to the rest of your day.
    Insure it as well as you can just to be on the safe side of Murphy.
    Good luck

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam