Thread: Kasilof Kayaking

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Default Kasilof Kayaking

I'm going to try something different this year......putting my 14' kayak in at the mouth of the Kasilof River on an in-coming tide,toss a K-14 out about 50' behind me and backtroll thru some tidewater searching for Kings.I've done this quiet a bit down in Washington and it works pretty well.When the tide starts running back out,reverse directions,letting the water work for you til you get to your pull-out.Nice easy portage to and from vehicle,possibility of a nice king,and very little if any other boats or company/competition.
    Any one else ever yak down there ? Rumors of a boat launch being built just tease me.So this sounds like a do-able option.Anyone else that has done this and want to tell about it ?

Is the water at the mouth of the Kasilof anything like the Kenai where it gets siltier and siltier the lower you go? I lived in Kenai for 13 years and fished the Kasilof a lot but never been to the mouth...sad...

I'd would observe the channel at a low tide so you know where it is, as it can get kinda sketchy where it is when its high. Otherwise its a nice place to kayak or canoe and the current isnt bad near the mouth at any tide.

Default Checked It Out Wednesday

I made it to the mouth at low tide yesterday,and though there was a lot of ice on the shore ,the channel was pretty obvious.This was from the north side.From the parking area before the fish proccessor out to the water was only about a hundred yards more or less.Easy to pack my yak across.On an incoming tide, getting around the 1st corner will be a piece of cake and then cause you'd be out of the wind (kinda) I'll be able to paddle as far up as I want.At least in the tide-water.When the tide starts out easy rowing coming back to my truck .
    Just a couple more weeks and I'll be there

Default Took the Yak to the Mouth At LOW TIDE

Went to the mouth of the Kasilof today right at low tide---minus 2.4 feet.Kayak at the ready,poles set up,ready to rip some lips.Most of the ice shelves gone from the edge of the water,though there were a lot of cool ice formations(took a lot of pics,haven't downloaded em yet).As the wife and I pulled down on Kasilof Beach Rd.(north side),we saw a lot
    ,I mean a lot of beach in front of us.Oh well,lets go check it out.Leaving the kayaks in the truck,we started walking down to see what the river edge looked like.I'd been reading about beach conditions by searching through old dip-net threads and I'd read that it could get a little muddy.Purt-near a half mile later we came to the steep edge of the river and it was all mud in the channel where the river flowed.The tide was just starting to come back in and visibility was not what I was hoping for at all.Like zero !!!!!!
    I guess that if someone was really desperate to go kayak fishing at the mouth of the Kasilof it could be done.I will be checking again at different tide levels to assess the feasability of fishing there.I'm sure it can be done and want to think it can be done successfully,so I'll be reporting back soon.Hopefully with a better story than this one.Plus I figure in a few more weeks there will probably be a few more fish in the river.Stay tuned........Mark

I was afraid of that. In the Kenai River, very rare to see anyone fishing below the Kenai Warren Ames Bridge. But my father swears that during certain tide flows, cleaner water flows at the mouth. he's been wanting to try the Kenai River mouth for years. I know I have caught fish right across from Trujillo's take out. But that's also right where it begins to get muddy. Maybe the thaw is causing the water to be murkier than normal with less river flow but more mud coming into the lower river?

Mark, Try going out North Cohoe Lp rd till u get to the beach. U can run down the beach north about 3/4 mile or so to the mouth of Kasilof. The beach/river bank on the south side is much sandy-rocky compared to the north side of the river off K- beach. I don't know what rig u got to run on the beach, I use my p/u. A bit soft but doable. If all else fails,U mite be able to get in the river off Cohoe loop where there is a 'take out' for the drift boats that come down from the hiway brdge. Don' t know if they are open yet, but if not, will be soon. I think the hi tide influence just does affect that area and would be good for the incoming kings there. Good luck, kieep us posted.

Default Thanks cod

I appreciate your input there cod.FYI I have looked at going in on the south side of the Kasilof and like you say it is sandy/rocky.When I went down there yesterday it was such an extremely low tide that influenced my view.I drive an F250 w/4x4 but I am cautious on dry sand.And yes I've been thinking about putting in at Coho Cove andd pulling out at Kasilof Kabins.I also have a little mini-drift boat that I use on the Kasilof.It is a lot more comfortable than the kayak:ie. padded seats,lots of room,a whole lot easier to land a king in,packing a net isn't a problem,etc.I'm like Kardinal-84 in that I'm looking to expand my kayak fishing more.And yes I have taken my mini down the Kasilof many times.Took a look at the put-in by the bridge yesterday as well.There is still a good sized ice shelf that may be gone soon with the warm weather we're having.A few more weeks(or less) and I will be there in one boat or the other.Every spring I always get a bad case of early-itise.This year is no exception
    You can take a look at my mini in my profile photos.027.jpg

Mark, How much does that boat weigh? I've got a "Aire" Puma 10 ft blow up that weighs 80 pounds total-oars, frame and skin. We have flown it commercial to Yakatat before. And then a couple other comments....If u ever take your truck on the beach and starting bogging down ( u know that feeling of oh oh) Remember, u can always save your arse by letting about half the air out of your tires to give you the grip u need to get out. I've not seen it fail yet to get one out the way it came in. Although I used to enjoy the kayak thing, I put my hand in the water off the beach again yesterday. MAN THATS COLD! So..... I have learned to fish a couple rivers... including the Kasilof with sideplaners and a bait caster. Works great for kings and steelies. And I stay (mostly) out of the water. U can put the plug and hold it in the most likely looking spot for as long as u like it there. Interested??

Default Mini-Drifter Facts

The mini-drifter weighs in at 150 lbs not counting beer and gear.It's all hand laid fiberglass with a few panels of kevlar glassed into the bottom.I used to build these boats as well as my kayaks when I lived in Grays Harbor,Wa.They are nice units for so many of the smaller steams on the Olympic Peninsula.If you find a tree that has fallen across a creek,just pick up the boat and go around the tree.Try that with a 20' Willies.Only drawback is it only fishes 2 people.Not sure thats a bad thing Sometimes I wish I still had my 16' Clacker.Oh well.......
    About driving on sand---been there done that many times.There are plenty of ways to make it work besides letting the air out of tires.Carry a piece of carpet,floor matts,wide tires,etc that all help negotiate even the softest,driest sand.But thanks for the reminder.
    Side Planers---personally I don't care for em.I haven't tried one for many years but I didn't care for the extra resistence when you do hook up.I prefer a direct contact.But if they work for you...have at em.I have been fishing salmon/steelhead for about 40+ years and have learned a few little tricks along the way.I'm not saying I know it all--no one ever could,but I will say I'm always open to learning more.
    Again,thanks for the reminders and suggestions.

i live above coho cove campground, the the road down to the pullout is not passable, (muddy) the road to the campground is 50% axel load right not, starting to dry out, but VERY SOFT on the edges. we just moved down here last May, and i want to go with my little one man cataraft soon
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in english, thank a veteran

I talked to the owner of the Coho Cove Campground, and they are ready for the season, currently they are only halfway filled for the memorial day weekend. the river is low but ice free
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in english, thank a veteran

Anyone else, that is interested, I'm game to try it around that time frame and provide a vehicle! Although if I am in the area and its a perfectly calm day, I would very much like to try it off Deep Creek for kings and butts! Even if its a spot spot to float and fish from the bank it would be a blast!