Thread: Jet ranger

Default Jet ranger

OK I'm looking at the Alaskan Jet Ranger, I have a Merc 25 -20 jet for it but want to use it as a raft also, I'm sure someone has experience,opinions.
    Thanks Alex

I have a Jet Ranger and use it quite a bit. Like to run up river and drift back down, run shallow rivers that run into the sound ect...

My son on the sticks.

PWS

Delta Clear Water

Bear Hunting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndgPUs6dEDw
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

So, the jet ranger is capable of being a floating/white water raft, in addition to running rivers with a jet motor. I'm not talking about serious white water, but Class 1-3 maybe floats? They are pretty expensive without the motor but the ability to be dual purpose might make it worth it?

It is a dual use boat. I don't think anyone is claiming it to be the best at either, but it can do both. It gets away with serving as a drifting raft by using a semi-rigid transom. It's hard on top for the motor and inflatable on the bottom where it's likely to hit rocks. I've never seen another design like it. I think I might use a dedicated raft frame with it though. I'm also not sure about a real class III river, as there would likely be a lot of water splashing in from large waves. But many of the Alaska rivers rated at class III are not really more than class II+. I've never used one though. I'm just intrigued by the concept.

I've heard the same thing. That they are not that great as far as "jet boats" go, but for an inflatable they do allow the use with a jet to get into some shallower areas, and because the floor is not as rigid floating/dragging is also possible. Kinda like the Garmin Rhino. Not the best gps, not the best radio, but decent at both.

Here is a nice little ride in a jet ranger
    Notice the water depth as you can see the rocks and gravel just a few inches deep .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndgPUs6dEDw
    and here is one on the Knik river
    this boat shows the heavy duty oar lock system so you can use the boat to Oar or row down stream.
    http://www.myspace.com/video/vid/32311724
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

So what's up with Jim King ,He gave me a price for a jet ranger several weeks ago ,said it was in stock. I said I' take it ,and was told it would be ready the next Monday, called Tues. and was told he would call me Thur or Fri, Called back the next week but no one would answer the phone or answer messages. So I was talking to a friend about it he said well let be call see if he will answer my phone, Jim answered ,And my friend said he was calling about the boat , and was tolod it would be ready today Tues. I called again today and again no answer? so what' up, is this normal>?

I imagine he is just super busy with hunting season.

I talked to Jim King about the boat you are buying from him.
    He does have that boat in stock, but had to change the transom. He was working on the boat, and trying to get ready for the State fair also. He finished the boat last night at midnight.
    I know he was doing everything he could to get your boat to you.
    Let me know if you have any problems
    thank you
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Yes Jim called today I picked the boat up this evening.Just seems a few straight answers might have avoided all this.Anyway thanks matter closed
    Alex

Saw Jim and the Jet Ranger at the Fair again today. Really like the concept. Still think that if ya tilt the motor all the way up, and then wedge something like a small inflatable thwart under the shaft for some extra aft bouyancy . . . . that boat would float/drift downstream almost as well as a regular raft? Maybe aaalaska will test my theory someday and report back?