Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: First season, any advice?

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    13

    Default First season, any advice?

    So I'm going out with 2 friends that have hunted over bait before, but I'd like to hear some advice for a first timer!! I'll be hunting with a Mathews Drenalin with Muzzy tips. I'm open to any and all suggestions. TIA!!!

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Really you'll get all the advice you need reading through the old post on here, but here's the big ones:
    Use a scent ball - the higher up in the air the better - bears will find the bait with their nose
    Use good bait - bears will stay because they like what you're serving. Stay away from protien and grease and you'll have less brown bear traffic
    Use a trail cam - you'll know what's going on at the bait instead of guessing
    Spend as much time at the bait/in the stand as possible
    Be safe!

  3. #3

    Default

    Keep it simple
    ...Jackie Bushman is a TOOL

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    499

    Default

    Remember that bear baiting is nothing like what you see on the outdoor channel. I've bear baited for 2 years now and I am yet to have a bear come in and just stand there broadside by the bait barrel for an easy shot. I got a bear but it was not that easy. Their noses are just incredible, I'm going to spray on some scent killer and then thinking about hanging some anise rags from my stand when I'm in there to help cover my scent.

    But like said, a lot of good info and good tips in old threads.

  5. #5
    Member jcorwin4278's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    360

    Default

    The first thing I can say is location. It is the most important thing to do. You have to get away from others and make sure it is in some deep cover. Everything else is just trial and error. Most of us have been baiting for a while, and have our way of doing things. I have no problem telling people what works, while others do. Until this year I have always used dog food mixed with sryup, vanillia, molasses, and honey. I have had bears come in every year. You don't need to spend 100's of dollars to get bears to come in. You do have to put time into it, but not a lot of money. So what I am saying is bating is easy and fun. Use sweet smelling things ( I do because I have to sit on it and don't want to smell the stinky stuff) to put on your bait, and choose your location wisely. Take your time, look into it and make sure it is where you want it and can get to it. Lastly, have fun. It is a great time and makes the summers more enjoyable.
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

  6. #6
    Member pike_palace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the 907
    Posts
    2,326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jcorwin4278 View Post
    The first thing I can say is location. It is the most important thing to do. You have to get away from others and make sure it is in some deep cover. Everything else is just trial and error. Most of us have been baiting for a while, and have our way of doing things. I have no problem telling people what works, while others do. Until this year I have always used dog food mixed with sryup, vanillia, molasses, and honey. I have had bears come in every year. You don't need to spend 100's of dollars to get bears to come in. You do have to put time into it, but not a lot of money. So what I am saying is bating is easy and fun. Use sweet smelling things ( I do because I have to sit on it and don't want to smell the stinky stuff) to put on your bait, and choose your location wisely. Take your time, look into it and make sure it is where you want it and can get to it. Lastly, have fun. It is a great time and makes the summers more enjoyable.
    He absolutely nailed it on the head. LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION.

    Personally, I don't want to be around alot of other hunters. It's not safe and it sort of ruins the experience. If it seems like a pain of an area to get into (no roads or trails) that's what you are looking for. I know a guy who walks everything into his stand and they get loads of bears on it every year because no one else goes to the effort that he does and leaves that area alone.

    I like COB, molasses and marshmallows along with some 907 products. Makes a nice, gooey, sweet combo that lasts awhile and the bears like to eat it.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

  7. #7
    Member skybust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    alaska
    Posts
    2,426

    Default

    like everyone else has said if the place is easy to get to you will have more hunters around you which means the bears have more to choose from so will not be at your bait as often. I like areas that have more cover and like said above the more time spent in the stand once you know they are hitting your bait means the better chance of getting one have fun and be safe

  8. #8
    Member Marc Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    1,279

    Default

    Share your bait stand with others. Even better if they are qualified to bait because your station will always have fresh bait and there will be someone hunting it more than not. I WANT someone there when I'm not, to be honest.

    Keep a clean site. Responsible, ethical, legal. Just the right thing to do.

    A good camera triples the value of the experience. Swap SD cards and take a viewer. You'll enjoy looking over the bears as you wait for them to come back.

    Invest in a simple plastic sled that will hold a bear and haul it away whole before gutting, skinning or processing. Keeps the area sweet, not savory, and bears won't fear your bait because of what happened to "Boo-boo" over there.

    When a bear comes in, allow him/her to taste the bait before shooting. Even if you blow the shot, the bear may be tempted to come back because the crack-cocaine-like high he/she got from that vanilla will be irresistible! Once a bear starts feeding on your bait, if it's good, that bear will be back and bring friends.

    Taylor

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Bedrock, Alaska
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Do not wear yourself out, or waste all your vacation time expecting "hits" in early/mid May. Most bears begin to regularly hit the baits sites in late May.
    Anyone agree? Anyone disagree?

  10. #10
    New member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Thank you all for the advice!! Means a lot coming from guys that have done this and can shed some light. Our bait site is pretty far out surrounded by nothing!! it's a good 1/2 mile hike into, without even a trail....straight woods. I look toward to the hunt and thanks again for the "heads up".

    Brandon

  11. #11
    Member blasterak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    14A
    Posts
    913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ibex View Post
    Do not wear yourself out, or waste all your vacation time expecting "hits" in early/mid May. Most bears begin to regularly hit the baits sites in late May.
    Anyone agree? Anyone disagree?
    Agree, usually dont get a hit til mid-late May, earliest I killed a bear was 25th of may. Usually gets pretty active at my site the first week of June. I always seem to kill a bear on June 4th or so every year.

  12. #12
    Member willphish4food's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Willow, AK
    Posts
    3,367

    Default

    Don't fidget! Bears like to circle the stand testing the wind, and looking for movement. they'll often lay down just out of sight and watch the bait before moving in. I like to douse a sweaty shirt with bug dope every time I leave the bait, leaving the shirt in my stand, and one near the bait barrel as well. I want the bears to know my scent and associate it with sweet treats. I also do best when I have a very quiet trail that I can walk in on- if alone, I sometimes come in loud, drop bait, leave, and circle back on the sneaky trail.

    Those are general things I do. But bears being what they are, I don't get discouraged if I can't be quiet or still in stand- some nights I'm just too sleepy. And I've seen bears those nights, too. Mainly, have fun, and enjoy the experience!

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    All-I-SAW, AK.
    Posts
    1,036

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by blasterak View Post
    Agree, usually dont get a hit til mid-late May, earliest I killed a bear was 25th of may. Usually gets pretty active at my site the first week of June. I always seem to kill a bear on June 4th or so every year.
    Take into consideration the winters. If it's been a mild one with moderate snow, an early breakup could get 'em out early. We've shot them off baits on April 25th and 27th before. Same bait, 2 years later, heavy winter, lots of snow, late breakup, didn't get hits or shoot one till late May. I'm just saying...
    If a bear comes in cautiously, then sprints out of there. Be patient, they'll typically come back. Sometimes within minutes, or up to an hour or so. Stay vigilant and don't get discouraged and leave. This is when you really need to be motionless and quiet.
    If a non-shooter comes in, just watch it/them. They're an absolutely fascinating animal and if you pay attention to their actions and sounds, it's an education you won't ever read in a book or magazine.

  14. #14
    New member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Don't fidget! Bears like to circle the stand testing the wind, and looking for movement. they'll often lay down just out of sight and watch the bait before moving in. I like to douse a sweaty shirt with bug dope every time I leave the bait, leaving the shirt in my stand, and one near the bait barrel as well. I want the bears to know my scent and associate it with sweet treats. I also do best when I have a very quiet trail that I can walk in on- if alone, I sometimes come in loud, drop bait, leave, and circle back on the sneaky trail.

    Those are general things I do. But bears being what they are, I don't get discouraged if I can't be quiet or still in stand- some nights I'm just too sleepy. And I've seen bears those nights, too. Mainly, have fun, and enjoy the experience!
    Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    Take into consideration the winters. If it's been a mild one with moderate snow, an early breakup could get 'em out early. We've shot them off baits on April 25th and 27th before. Same bait, 2 years later, heavy winter, lots of snow, late breakup, didn't get hits or shoot one till late May. I'm just saying...
    If a bear comes in cautiously, then sprints out of there. Be patient, they'll typically come back. Sometimes within minutes, or up to an hour or so. Stay vigilant and don't get discouraged and leave. This is when you really need to be motionless and quiet.
    If a non-shooter comes in, just watch it/them. They're an absolutely fascinating animal and if you pay attention to their actions and sounds, it's an education you won't ever read in a book or magazine.
    great advice and tips. when leaving a sweatshirt behind.....do you have to put anything on it (bug dope?? what is that) or just your own body scent will work? thanks again everyone!

  15. #15
    Member pike_palace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the 907
    Posts
    2,326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by btrow View Post
    great advice and tips. when leaving a sweatshirt behind.....do you have to put anything on it (bug dope?? what is that) or just your own body scent will work? thanks again everyone!
    Bug dope is just bug spray. The sweaty shirt will work fine. Another thing I do is I pee on a different tree everytime I bait it up. They get used to your scent in a heartbeat.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

  16. #16
    Member Marc Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    1,279

    Default

    btrow, you got some GOOD info here in this thread. Almost enough info here to be a sticky.

    If you just remember NOT to take bear baiting too seriously, but get better at it with sound practices, it will be a breeze.

    I think bears can sense a tense trigger finger. If you are relaxed, they will come in relaxed. If you are all wound up about not getting a bear yet, you'll get nothing but pictures on a game camera.

    Have fun and share it with someone else.

    Taylor

  17. #17

    Default

    When you set up your stand and bait keep the sun to your back. Pay attention the the local drafts try to keep the wind in your face. If you can keep something behind you to break up your silhouette.
    Chuck

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •