Thread: Your Boat and Your Fenders?

Default Your Boat and Your Fenders?

hi again...how many, and what sizes do you guys carry for your boats?....again, is it the magic formula or is it by size/make----nasty weather??....i guess it would depend on where you normally have your slip etc!....what about for the bow?..is a good sized bouy a good idea for putting out the big fender to get out of the slip on the windy day?...was thinking that big "scotch boy' i used for shrimping?......thanks again larry

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

Great question as I am shopping for fenders as well. In my experience fishing on my Dad's boat for the last 30 years he always had 3-4 fenders. He used to use the little white ones that were about 5" OD. I plan on buying 4 of the 10-12" OD ones that are about 2 ft long. I doubt I would ever use more than 2, but if I get rafted up in a transient slip I would like to have them for both sides of the boat.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

What works for us is a 17" round fender for the bow, and two 10.5" cylindrical fenders at midships and near the stern. We carry two more deflated for the occasional raft-up.
    Richard Cook
    New Moon (Bounty 257)
    "Cruising in a Big Way"

I rely on Polyform buoys. usually A-2 or A-3. They are multipurpose in case I want to buoy off my anchorline or shrimp pot buoys etc You can never have enough buoys between the boats when you tie up even if its flat calm. Boat wakes can me a mofo on the gelcoat especially those love boats, they throw a tsunami

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

A2 buoy.jpglow drag buoy.jpg

Come and get'em !! I'll have plenty at the show this weekend, red, orange and chartruce.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

How much are the bouys for the ones I would use for my shrimp pots?
    And how much is the sinking line you have?

bcriverhnter,

I use Polyform A series buoys and G3 fenders on our boat. Here is a link to their products:http://www.polyformus.com .

I carry 6 G3 fenders for our 25' boat, 3 on each side. I tend to use these at night in a crowded anchorage and entering/exiting the harbor.

I carry two A2 buoys for each anchor rode setup that I have to use the ring anchor retrieval method for pulling our anchor. Most of our trips we setup a base camp on the beach and I leave an anchor in place in front of the beach for the duration of our stay. So I need a buoy attached to the anchor rode. I then have the second anchor rode available for exploring during the day.

When we shrimp, I use an A1 and a foam bullet buoy for each string of gear that I run.

I mix and match the A2 and G3 buoys/fenders depending on what I need. For example the A2's come in handy when rafting to another boat by placing then at the point the hull start narrowing down at the bow. I will throw out both the G3's and the A series when we are in the water after launching the boat and other boats are coming an going from the launch.

Hope this helps.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
    How much are the bouys for the ones I would use for my shrimp pots?
    And how much is the sinking line you have?
    PM sent due to forum rules.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

When I got my new boat the first thing I did was to go out and buy 4 fenders. The ones I bought were the Polyform A4s I think. This was for my 22' Hewescraft OceanPro. At home they looked just right. At the dock they looked small and were too small.

Just get the biggest ones they sell for the recreational boater for your nice Wooldridge, and get 3 per side. My OceanPro could have used 3 per side. I know we all buy aluminuim boats so we can dent them, but man does it suck to scratch that Sharkhided aluminum and get a black mark show up at the end of the season.

Sobie2

Not much of a fender guy.

I have a couple of them, they're are nice ones, but i don't remember the manufacture. Can't recall the last time I put them over the rail. At the slip, I've got a couple "not so nice" fenders tied off to the cleats, hanging in the water, so I don't need the boat fenders there.

I can understand the need with a new boat, or rafting up, which is the only reason I have any at all.

Okay, found the ones I use in link above. They are the Polyform G2 model. They are the cylindrical version, with the ribs, so they store a bit better than the round ones. I chose black, because they match my engine.