Thread: $20.00 air gun scopes work good on 22's too.

Default $20.00 air gun scopes work good on 22's too.

I got a really cheap air gun when I turned 5, and I havn't used it more than once or twice in the past several years. so I took the scope off and put it on my 10/22, the 10/22 had a big hog scope on it, it was a tasco 4X12 that dad found on a trail, hunting in oregon, but the cross hair wire was broke, so it wasn't very accurate ( 10 inch groups at 50 yards) now, I have the air gun scope on it, and now I can hit a dime at 40 yards. I'd say thats an improvement. the scope is a 2 power, I was thinking about getting one of the 30 dollar 3 power ones that would gather more light. I would imagine it would be better, cause its after market.
    Anyway, just thought I'd share, cause I'm sure there is other kids out there that don't have money for a 100.00 scope.

Maybe not the best, but they are real accurate, and cheap,and if you take care of your guns, its a good deal.

BTW, I don't like scopes, but I don't have sights on the 22 any more, they broke, and I figured if I ave a scope, i might as welll use it.

i works, cant argue with that!
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

expecially for so cheap. I'm sure it won't last years and years, but hey, I can buy 5 airgun scopes for the price of one made just for 22's, and I'm sure 5 cheap ones would last longer than one expencive one, if you take care of it.

But nothin beats open sights....

Real air gun scopes are actually pretty tough as the recoil from a strong spring gun is hard on scopes. It may last a lot longer than you think and the parrallax should be set for fairly short range.

You bet it will work. For a while. When I was younger, I bought a then $30 4x Bushnell Sportview for my 10/22. It lasted for several years. Then I worked in an area in the TX Panhandle that was just loaded with prairie dogs. My favorite spot I could drive 2 miles down one side of a fence and then back on the other side. It took about 4 hours and I would shoot 750 to 1000 rounds. By the end, your fingers were raw and had turned either red or black depending on what bullets had been on sale that week. I could hit a prairie dog on the run out 80-100 yards. Interestingly, I found out that those scopes were built to handle 10,000 rounds almost to the round. I went through 3 of those scopes. I was making good money and was getting tired of resighting my gun every few months, so I bought a 4x Leupold. Problem solved. Have fun, it will make you a better shot.

Quote Originally Posted by goosepilot View Post
    You bet it will work. For a while. When I was younger, I bought a then $30 4x Bushnell Sportview for my 10/22. It lasted for several years. Then I worked in an area in the TX Panhandle that was just loaded with prairie dogs. My favorite spot I could drive 2 miles down one side of a fence and then back on the other side. It took about 4 hours and I would shoot 750 to 1000 rounds. By the end, your fingers were raw and had turned either red or black depending on what bullets had been on sale that week. I could hit a prairie dog on the run out 80-100 yards. Interestingly, I found out that those scopes were built to handle 10,000 rounds almost to the round. I went through 3 of those scopes. I was making good money and was getting tired of resighting my gun every few months, so I bought a 4x Leupold. Problem solved. Have fun, it will make you a better shot.
    That sounds like a ton of fun! I sure do wish we had them up here! I don't mind resighting in new scopes, because, then, you just HAVE to test out the different ammo, to see which ones fly better, and dontchya know, high velocity and "regular" rounds, will fly different, so I have to see where to hold with the new scope, Oh darn, that would just be horrible to have to do all that.

FFG- good on you for admitting that you would put a low priced scope on anything. You make a good case for them, and I commend you, but don't you know this is the forum of high end stuff? Even Leupold gets the thumb down on this forum as being "low brow". Heaven help me with my Redfields!
    I love it when regular guys talk about stuff that works that doesn't have lots of $$$$$ signs attached to it. Like Stranger with his Mosins. I can identify with that kind of stuff. You're old school Alaskan.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    FFG- good on you for admitting that you would put a low priced scope on anything. You make a good case for them, and I commend you, but don't you know this is the forum of high end stuff? Even Leupold gets the thumb down on this forum as being "low brow". Heaven help me with my Redfields!
    I love it when regular guys talk about stuff that works that doesn't have lots of $$$$$ signs attached to it. Like Stranger with his Mosins. I can identify with that kind of stuff. You're old school Alaskan.
    Thanks man!

It should work, but won't for too long.

Rifle scopes are built on the recoil it will be subjected to, and the "spring" of an airgun is different than that of a 22 (and much more so a larger caliber). I had a buddy put a Luepy on a BB gun...lasted for about 3 months, and then went out. Sent it back, and they fixed it and sent a note saying to NOT use on a bb gun, as they are not designed for that recoil. You'd think they'd be tough enough, but apparently spring guns recoil differently.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

yesss,the recoil of a .22 is immense. Like the sales lady tried to tel me about the .22 i was buying my daughter, A henry lever with 16 inch barrel. Please, air recoil or .22 rifle ...i think not much of a difference.

Just the abuse of going up and down a mountain and bumping your gun along is rough, If a leupy cant handle that or a bb gun,,id say its junk.

Quote Originally Posted by danthedewman1 View Post
    Just the abuse of going up and down a mountain and bumping your gun along is rough, If a leupy cant handle that or a bb gun,,id say its junk.
    I'd say the same thing but that's how they are designed. I'll try to find the link. I remember it being something about spring "recoil" being forward motion and gunpowder being reverse recoil(towards the shooter).
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

thumbs up FFG

my kids 10/22 has the same scope on it...and im even as cheap as to not buy a new one when it broke i just super glued the crosshairs in and luckily they were in the right spot.....she'll knock the center out of a target all day long if i let her....she's having fun and thats really what matters
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

What everyones saying about the air rifle scopes vs rifle scopes is what I've read and heard, but I've only heard of it going one direction. Do not put a .22 scope on to an air rifle. A Google search gets you a fair number of people saying the air rifle scopes will work on .22's but anything bigger will start shaking them loose.

Quote Originally Posted by sharksinthesalsa View Post
    ....she's having fun and thats really what matters
    Hit the nail on the head on that one

Funny - I just bought a cheapy scope for my .22. It's not only kids that can't afford the high end products.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Quote Originally Posted by SoggyMountain View Post
    Funny - I just bought a cheapy scope for my .22. It's not only kids that can't afford the high end products.
    No kidding! even if I had 150 dollars to spend on a scope, I wouldn't if I could spend 20 on one.

Was sighting in today .... hooters have to be getting ripe.

Consistant at 50 yards, but cut my time short at the range when it started getting crowded. It's hard for me to focus on anything with all the shots being fired around me. Too dang loud up there and unnerving when the pistols and the plinkers are placed side by side. But I was doing fairly well at knocking some spent shot shells around for a bit before the hand cannons arrived.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-