Thread: Sag/Ivishak Charter Boats?

Default Sag/Ivishak Charter Boats?

This August I have 2 uncles that are coming up for a caribou hunt up on the slope. A fly in is too spendy. My question is does anyone know of any charters that take you by boat up the Sag or Ivishak? I tried google with no luck. We are prepared to do the 5 mile hike but we want to see what other options are out there. Thanks, Phil

Try Randy with Gold Rush Adventures

Youll never make 5 miles off the road going upstream on the sag! Too much braided water and boulders and big rapids.

You better call now and hope that Randy had some cancilations. A friend of mine tried to go last yr and ended up having to book a yr in advance, even then he was almost full. And like sam stated, you'll never make 5 miles off the road going upsteam on the sag.

find a diff area and outfitter and get r done!

Release Lake Trout

I talked with Randy a few years back, that jet boat run will have near bush flight prices from what I recall. Also, as stated, he books up fast and makes limited runs. Responsible of him, he won't drop off a group right after another one. Seems he does one run per week or something like that. Good guy from what I remember, we just decided to do another river for various reasons.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

With this thread being started in the Float Hunting Forum, I assume that you are a rafter/hunter or want to become a rafter/hunter.
    So you might consider a fly-in/float out with SeventyNorth (operations@seventynorth.com). It will be half as expensive as a round trip flying both in and out. It will end up less expensive than the airboat transporter.
    And rafting is fun.

I echo alaskatrueadventure, one word of advice though is that if you plan on floating and want to fly in do some research, there are some beautiful rivers up high but those all have to flow downhill sometimes through some nasty dangerous stuff, take the sag for example, beautiful river, but when it gets close to 5 miles from the roat it turns rough, really rough. You paralell the road for something like 10 miles and it is all class 3+ rapids one right after another, I thought it looked easy enough... not so! After capsizing 3 times and loosing gear and meat... hypothermia... yea i should have chosen another river. Just food for thought, be prepared you will be a long long way from any help should something go wrong.

Thanks for the info guys. I haven't ruled out flying in/ floating out, I just want to do so as well informed as possible. I have also considered walking in the 5 miles from the boat launch on the south side of the Atigun River. I heard that the Atigun is kind of a nasty bugger though so I dont know that I would want to float it.

You can certainly walk in 5 miles south of the Atigun River boat launch but Im not sure that will get you where you want. Its a steep walled canyon about 8-9 miles long before it opens up into the sag valley. There are easier areas to walk in and have better chance of seeing bou closer to the road. As far as floating the Atigun River unless you have lots of experience or are very lucky you will definately get wet. Make sure you know what you are doing, once you get into the gorge its a long difficult walk back out if you can get out of the water. Lots have done it and lots have failed. Its not a float for the weak of heart! If you survive that you have the Sag to deal with, thats a whole new beast with lots of rapids and submerged rocks and shallow skinny water in the fall.