Thread: Delta Bison report

Default Delta Bison report

So my 70 year old mom drew Delta ~ on her first ever try. We hunted hard, total of four trips with 16 days. Mom broke her arm in mid-winter which caused a lot of down time. Got close to the herd on Diana's property in October, missed them by a couple hours on Steele property in January. No sign whatsoever in February. Was back at it for final trip over the weekend. Found them several times around Donnelly Dome. Put on a few stalks but was never close enough to positively ID a bull and have a clean shot. The last day of the hunt we spot them in a distance. I found the road that led to them and belly crawled to 40 yards, that's where I snapped this picture. A herd of at least 30. Crawled back out and got the tag holder ready to go. Once last check of the Greely map to make sure we are legal. Oh boy, I think they are in a closed area mom. Got on the phone with range control and described where we were at. Sure enough that area is closed. That's hunting I guess. 16 hard days, thousands of miles on the truck and once we find them in a position where its duck soup, we cant access them. She was quite disapointed, but overall had a great time. Despite not punching a dream tag, I got to hunt with both my parents and my son. Good times. Tougher tag than I think most people realize. I've never hunted an animal that was so hard to determine bull vs. cow. That and there is almost no opportunity to get a vantage point where you could spot/stalk ~ sans Donnelly dome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Sorry to hear your mom didn't get one, but glad you all enjoyed your pursuit!

Sorry it didn't go better for you Patrick.

Delta Bison can be a quite difficult hunt.

Bummer she wasn't able to get one, Patrick. Gotta give you big kudos for paying close attention to where you were in relation to any possible closed areas, well done on that score!

sounds like you gave it a great effort.I grew up in Delta Jct and have helped a lot of people hunt Buffalo including my 72 year old grandma. So I know how hard it can be.So now like me you can laugh when someone say's they drew a buff tag and are going to "just run up and shoot one"

Oh that belly crawl and snap of the shutter had to have your heart racing! Sounds like a successful hunt to me! Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    Oh that belly crawl and snap of the shutter had to have your heart racing! Sounds like a successful hunt to me! Awesome!
    Oh beleive me it was. Just to be able to watch these critters is a treat. Even at 40 yards, with great glass I wasn't at all sure if I was looking at cows or bulls. The big bulls are much more evident, but I studied several that were "teenagers" and I had no clue. I did meet a couple hunters who were successful. He was smart and stopped by Scott's ranch up there and spent an hour looking at them next to the road to get familiar with what was what.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Sucks your Mom wasn't able to connect but I am sure you two enjoyed the time together. Good look next season!!!

Default the hardest big game to judge

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Even at 40 yards, with great glass I wasn't at all sure if I was looking at cows or bulls. The big bulls are much more evident, but I studied several that were "teenagers" and I had no clue.
    It is very hard.

Also, if you're looking at a group of 4-5 year old bulls, its hard to tell youself that they're not 7-8 years old. The visual differences from afar are way too subtle, and virtually no one out there (with the exception of Delta locals and farmers I expect) is an experienced bison hunter - the opportunity is just too rare to make this skill commonplace.

Great job on your hunt, despite that you'll now need to become a vegetarian.