Thread: Sheep hunting in GMU 26C

Default Sheep hunting in GMU 26C

I was wondering if anyone is willing to share logistic information or past experiences specific to hunting sheep in GMU 26C. Thanks, Mike

Has anyone hunted this area the last week of August? I'm assuming that might be pushing it a bit due to weather.

I have hunted 26C many, many times. There is a high likelihood that all air taxi operators for that area are already booked. Most, if not all will not transport north of range after 30 Aug b/o inclement weather not permitting flight thru the passes and/or snow too deep to land and pick up hunters without skis (on plane). The later in Aug one goes the more likely it is to snow and stick. Summer fires with attendant smoke can sig'ly impact experience and successful hunting. Weather is highly variable from bluebird days (not too often) to frequent drizzle and fog (frequent). Best bets for transportation to 26C is prob Wright's and/or Yukon Air. Check the archives as there has been much info posted in the past on hunting and transportation for 26C. Good luck.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

PWS 122.jpgThere are some dandy rams in that country.... and there will be plenty of hunters looking for them too. We always huntedPWS 089.jpg the opener and our pilot who flew us in, Dan Sailors, always put us on sheep.

Killed these in 2009. The ram on the bottom would have likely pushed 40" had that right horn not been broomed.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I'm hunting up there for the first time this year so I can't offer anything up other than it may be too late to find someone to fly you in there. I booked with Wright's on 11/16 and I couldn't get in on the 8th like I had wanted. If I had it to do over, I think I would have booked for later in the season with fewer hunters in the field.

I appreciate everyone's input. I'm just getting back from a 9 month deployment, so I'm definitely behind. I was able to get a date of 23 Aug, but my thought is that might be tad late. Thanks again for the comments and congrats on the nice rams.

Well if they'll fly you in that's awesome. Who did you book with if I might ask? I was up Caribou hunting on the north slope last year at the end of August and it was beautiful and warm. But in the mountains it looked like they got some rain storms and just a dusting of snow on the 29th when I went home. You'll probably not see another human being and maybe have a crack at a big old ram that's been pushed down by weather! Good Luck!

Nope. You will see many other humans. The area is getting overrun. And the rams their really don't get pushed down. The mountains are not that tall. If there are sheep in the drainage there will be people. Every year there are more and more people, even more recently.

Wolfeel,
    Starting your sheep hunt on Aug 23rd will be fine. Regardless of where you will be hunting in Alaska, you will miss the "opening day gang", and you will be able to hunt into September (??). Based only on my observatins, some mature rams move out of inaccessable areas and into some lower country around Sept 1st. But I would not count on that. But I would rely on your own physical and mental toughness. Even if there isn't any significant ram movement, just out-hike the "opening day gang" and you will be able to find some undisturbed rams. And you have all summer to hike and condition your body and mind. Plan for a long hunt. After finding a ram you can always look for a grizz, caribou, call in a wolf, or make a sat-phone call for an early pickup (bad option....stay out). Make sure you check back in with the forum and tell us about your hunt.
    dennis

I was up there in 2009 for a week. We saw quite a few sheep, but the largest we found was a 6 (probably 7) year old ram at about 7/8 with 4 other smaller rams. Probably 50+ other ewes and lambs. We were in there from September 13-20 and saw one guy that was caribou hunting. The weather was good, but cold and there had been about an inch of snow the day before we got there.

As has been pointed out before, if you're ready to walk farther than the next guy, you'll do ok.

Oakman, how much ground did you guys cover?

I sent you a PM.

Just guessing, but probably about 60 miles in 7 days.

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    Oakman, how much ground did you guys cover?

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    I was up there in 2009 for a week. We saw quite a few sheep, but the largest we found was a 6 (probably 7) year old ram at about 7/8 with 4 other smaller rams. Probably 50+ other ewes and lambs. We were in there from September 13-20 and saw one guy that was caribou hunting. The weather was good, but cold and there had been about an inch of snow the day before we got there.

As has been pointed out before, if you're ready to walk farther than the next guy, you'll do ok.
    That is a low number for Rams, kind of unheard of for Brooks, although 50 or so ewes and lambs is average. I remember that year well because thats when I had nice weather in the AK range while everyone hunted the Brooks I knew got hit with snow.

I actually got the year wrong. I was there in 2008. In 2009 I was hunting the DCUA. We might have missed some rams with the fresh snow. We looked hard for them though.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    That is a low number for Rams, kind of unheard of for Brooks, although 50 or so ewes and lambs is average. I remember that year well because thats when I had nice weather in the AK range while everyone hunted the Brooks I knew got hit with snow.