Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommend an affordable 30-06

Default Recommend an affordable 30-06

I have been looking around for a good used 30-06 for a hunt this spring, haven't been able to find anything that's gonna work. I may have to buy new.
    Any suggestions on a good, solid, affordable 30-06. This will be a shooter, so nothing pretty. Thanks in advance.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Depends on what you consider affordable. That can be 200 dollars or 2000 dollars depends on your budget. But you can't go wrong with a tikka t3 or stevens by savage both "affordable" for the average person and both are shooters especially for the price. I would opt for the tikka over the stevens because you can get the tikka in stainless and I just like the
    Over all feel. I have owned both and both were
    Good for the money but prefer the tikka over the stevens

You can pick up some nice converted military surplus rifles at the gun shows for $200 - $250 or so. All milled steel and no plastic or pot metal parts.

Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post
    I have been looking around for a good used 30-06 for a hunt this spring, haven't been able to find anything that's gonna work. I may have to buy new.
    Any suggestions on a good, solid, affordable 30-06. This will be a shooter, so nothing pretty. Thanks in advance.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

T/C pro hunter. Then you can get other barrels or it later.

Savage 110E its a inexpensive gun, and is a shooter.

The Savage 110E is an accurate and inexpensive compared to many other brands. It can also be had in stainless and synthetic if desired. While not normally as accurate, Rugers are a good buy and available in blue and stainless. I own both neither are in 30-06 caliber though; My 30-06 is a T3 in stainless and synthetic.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

my 30-06 is a custom built 98 mauser....go to a gun store, say...great northern guns and look around...I see alot of good deals there, and keep your eye on alaskaslist.com as i see alot of good deals there too.....

Release Lake Trout

http://alaskaslist.com/1/posts/9_Gen...ter_30_06.html

heres one that might be in your range

Release Lake Trout

This thread seems pretty similar:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ch-rifle-model

For new I think the Marlin ML7, Savage Edge/Axis, and Weatherby Vanguard are the best choices I've seen. I think the Vanguard is the top option in that price range, personally. I don't own any of those rifles, I just looked at them recently.

Thanks for the responses.
    I love ak'slist and GNG, so thanks for throwin' that out hunt&fish. Always a good idea.
    I really like the Savage offering's, if I went that route I think I would go for the Stevens model 200 or the 110 if it has an accutrigger(I'm not sure?)
    I love Ruger pistols, but I'm gonna steer clear of the rifles for now, and I want to stay away from mil surp, too.

I think it's down to a T3, Pro Hunter, or a Vanguard; in that order.
    Thank's again for all the ideas.
    So much to think about...
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Check this thread.

The name of the thread is "I SEEN ONE".

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...525-I-SEEN-one.

Also, I hear a lot of good things about the Marlin BAs.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

My first rifle and still my most accurate and fun to shoot gun is a Remington model 700 ADL, basic but has always been dead on. Used, I bet you can get a good deal on one.
    Tony

Savage axis baby!!! my brother groups 1/2 inch groups at 200 yards shooting prone off a pack.

And it was only 350 with a scope.

One thing I have noticed with the factory scopes is, they don't come bolted down to good, my brothers was really loose, and it was shooting 15 inch groups at 100 yarrds, and then he fianlly pinned down that it was the scope screws, and it fixed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Check this thread.

The name of the thread is "I SEEN ONE".

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...525-I-SEEN-one.

Also, I hear a lot of good things about the Marlin BAs.

Smitty of the North
    That's right! Thanks smitty, this is definately on the list, too. FFG, I have an Axis, and it's a great gun, but I don't like the stock and will be buying a model 200 or 110 if I get a Savage. Thanks, though.

Winchester 70 all weather. Last you forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Winchester 70 all weather. Last you forever.
    Have you any in stock? What is the price on one of these?

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    Savage axis baby!!! my brother groups 1/2 inch groups at 200 yards shooting prone off a pack.
    My experience as well, but switch up to a Re... ahemmmm, a Red...., ahemmm a Redfield. There I said it. My bargain basement setup.

Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post
    Have you any in stock? What is the price on one of these?
    Winchesters are a little bit less than a K and a super value

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    My experience as well, but switch up to a Re... ahemmmm, a Red...., ahemmm a Redfield. There I said it. My bargain basement setup.
    I got the story on Redfields...they may be priced bargain basement, but they are Leupold quality far beyond their price range. We even stock them they are so good. I cant post why they are so inexpensive, but Im always here to ask

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast