Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This ought to stir up some emotions

Default This ought to stir up some emotions

In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

seems like a good idea....it would help increase overall bison numbers....im not sure how it would be a bad thing....

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    seems like a good idea....it would help increase overall bison numbers....im not sure how it would be a bad thing....
    Agreed. I'd love some bison wandering around my back yard. Is this a free range herd or are they fenced?
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

right now they are fenced up in a 3-400 acre apread on the portage creek flats.....they would be free ranging after there were transferred to the lower innoko.....who knows where they could spread to....

Release Lake Trout

Read the article, they're on the ESA. That will just limit human activity. Bad idea. More meddling by the Center for Bio-bs.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Read the article, they're on the ESA. That will just limit human activity. Bad idea. More meddling by the Center for Bio-bs.

Tim
    Bingo, that's what I was getting at.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Was this subspecies of buff native to Alaska? The ESA is what will ruin this dream of getting them back. Maybe we should start them in the middle of Denali, I don't think they have room for any more restrictions anyway! :-)
    I can definitely see the Representative's point and concern.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post

Tim
    Please re-read the article (or let me help you out):

"Randy Rogers, a wildlife planner for the state Department of Fish and Game, said the organization will not move the bison until the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and locals negotiate an exemption to the Endangered Species Act"

This seems to boil down to "what does Representative Dick want..."

turn them loose only if the Holy Cross residents get to shoot a couple of them a year for food to make up for the lost berries and whatever else they tear up... one or two are going to get shot anyway
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

The reintroduction of wood bison has been a decades long project already, spearheaded by "Buffalo Bob" Stephenson at ADFG. It's something that Alaska Backcountry Hunters has long supported, and it's a shame all the fear-mongering about the ESA has so influenced the outcome. Not that we shouldn't have concerns about the ESA, but in this case (as in others like it), when we designate them an "experimental" population we don't have the same rules and regs that govern mining, exploration, and even hunting.

Also a shame that the two best primary places chosen to release these bison so as to have future sustainable (and huntable) herds (Yukon Flats and Minto areas) have already been nixed by those who claim the ESA will affect mining or gas exploration or whatever.

The state has spent a lot of money already researching this, getting the bison from Canada, making sure they are disease free...it should have been a done deal to release them from the conservation center. If we can't release them by next year, we may have to nix the whole shebang and euthanize them.

Enough already. We have rules and regs in place to designate these bison as an experimental population in which the ESA regs that would curtail mining or development can't take place.

The people are not going to be locked out. Neither is development.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.No View Post
    Please re-read the article (or let me help you out):

"Randy Rogers, a wildlife planner for the state Department of Fish and Game, said the organization will not move the bison until the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and locals negotiate an exemption to the Endangered Species Act"

This seems to boil down to "what does Representative Dick want..."
    Exemptions for LOCALS. That mean's subsistence users. You and I won't be hunting there. We won't be hunting them and we won't be allowed to hunt there.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Echo View Post
    The ESA is what will ruin this dream of getting them back. Maybe we should start them in the middle of Denali, I don't think they have room for any more restrictions anyway! :-)
    Mike
    I'm sure you're being facetious, but that's a heck of an idea.

Bushrat, with the recent assault on ANY development in this state I cringe when ESA is even mentioned. Its a three-headed monster subjectively applied and implemented by judges after the center for bio exacts its agenda.

Tim

I agree with bushrat......he has a strong point on this subject

Release Lake Trout

Just start up a non-profit organization to run a free range bison ranch in the area. Sign ownership of the bison from the state to the new non-prof and give them a 50 year $1 permit for the whole basin. Now they are "farm animals" for the next 50 years and can be "sold" to hunters for a price just like the ones down on Kodiak. Heck link the non-prof project to UAF and they could easily get grant money to do tons of Bio work without costing the state a fortune in direct funding.

Why don't they just let us shoot em at Portage? I say turn em lose in Bear Valley hell w/ the bush, I don't have a plane. Why do the interior people get all the buff?

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Why don't they just let us shoot em at Portage? I say turn em lose in Bear Valley hell w/ the bush, I don't have a plane. Why do the interior people get all the buff?
    That was my thinking when BR mentioned the possibility of euthanizing them. I would sign up for that and split the meat with someone or a charity.

But like the frozen muskies the feds wouldn't let anyone salvage meat from, the meat of these bison would probably go to waste after the animals were put down. That's how the bureaucrats roll.

Fullbush- sell your gillnetter and get a plane. Then you can take advantage of those "special" opportunities.

What a crying shame! The state has done a ton of studies and got these bison from Canada only to have govt. hold this up. Sure pisses me off. Get those **** buff's out to the Yukon Flats where they were originally supposed to go. They need to get over this endangered species crap and let them loose and see how they do. The buff's should have NO effect on future drilling, etc. Govt. is stupid at best.

FYI to all,

There were two bison bills recently submitted by Rep. Alan Dick. This one to block a two-decade plan and project for the reintroduction of wood bison, and another that seeks to fence in the Delta bison herd.

I would urge all hunters to oppose both of these bills. For the life of me I don't understand why Rep Dick, who is a hunter, has submitted these bills that completely go against what hunters and the hunting community have long said they wanted. I know of no hunting org up here that does not support wood bison reintroduction. I know of no hunting org up here or any working group or advisory committee that supports fencing in the Delta bison.

Pay attention folks...there is a likely reason these two bills were submitted together. I have concerns the overwhelming (and irrational) anti-fed ESA fears of the one may cloud the other.

Thanks Mark. I for one will contact Rep. DICK and let him know how I feel. He certainly will not get any support from me if he is pushing this crap.

Turn them lose on Wrangell,they will be gone by spring
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast