Thread: powder for the 45-70

Default powder for the 45-70

With all the new powders out there," i thought about tryin something different" For the last 20yrs i've used nuthin but 3031,& R7.I started out shootin jacketed but have since switched to cast.With the high prices of powder i would like some input before i spend my hard earned sweat on powders that don't perform.
    Take care KK.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaikidd View Post
    With all the new powders out there," i thought about tryin something different" For the last 20yrs i've used nuthin but 3031,& R7.I started out shootin jacketed but have since switched to cast.With the high prices of powder i would like some input before i spend my hard earned sweat on powders that don't perform.
    Take care KK.
    I don't normally use cast bullets for full throttle loads in my 45-70, but when I want to push jacketed slugs at good velocity I turn to H4198. It gives top or near top velocities from my gun and also delivers great accuracy. H322 is also a good one for wringing velocity out of the 45-70.

When I do use cast bullets they are generally for plinking loads and I use either 3031 or lately Trailboss. Trailboss is a ton of fun for light loads, almost like shooting a capgun.

H322, only powder I use for the 45/70

I have very good results with Benchmark. Have never shot anything but hard cast through this rifle, from mild to wild Benchmark gives very good performance. I tried a lot of different powders. Year-round accuracy it is really hard to beat, you dont get the pressure swings based on temps that you will get from differant powders.
    Book min will give you about 1950fps, 405gr, CCI BR-2, (water dropped WW) out of a guide gun. I have ventured up the reloading table, but never really saw any advantage other than velocity, and with a 400gr or larger bullet, I think above 1800-2000 you are starting to get to the point of deminishing returns, at least for anything on this side of the planet.
    just my 2 cents
    Mike

I have used more H322 then any thing else. Seems like 54 grains fills the case and a 400 grain jacketed bullet sits right on top of the powder. Don't know what the charge would be with cast bullets.

most of my cast bullet shooting is with hard cast lead w/gas check.
    case capacity is an issue with the 45-70 and "big bullets", so like the kid-i like H4198. this 86 extra light is a great shooter and a favorite elk rifle.......dropping the last one at 112yds.
    happy trails.
    jh

Quote Originally Posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post

this 86 extra light is a great shooter and a favorite elk rifle.......dropping the last one at 112yds.
    It is also a very beautiful rifle. VERY, VERY NICE!
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.