Thread: Is it going to be lonely at Montague this year?

Default Is it going to be lonely at Montague this year?

With fuel prices at over $4/gallon and rising? What are charter prices going to look like, and what is it going to do to tourism?
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

When it hit $5.17 for unleaded at the dock in Whittier, it sure didn't slow things down much. It will hurt the pockets for sure.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I don't think i will be going that far out much this summer with the high prices, might be a good time to find some closer honey hole. I know I say that now but i love being in the boat so I will denied I just said that if you see me out there.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

No sir, you'll have about 150 gillnetters and a full processor fleet from Graveyard point over to Green Island on down the Island past Port Chalmers. You shouldn't get too lonely, not the way those Russian kids run around w/ their twin Jet rocketships they call bowpickers

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Silvers should be thicker this year. Hope they come in close early, and I can make more short trips. My inboard is a thirsty mother.

Quote Originally Posted by bkbaker View Post
    Silvers should be thicker this year. Hope they come in close early, and I can make more short trips. My inboard is a thirsty mother.
    You got that right bkbaker. The Wally Noerenberg hatchery is boasting a return of upwards of 350,000 cohos. This bodes well for fishing in Whittier because they do a pretty good remote release right there in town! The last few years have been fairly dismal but it looks really strong this year so thats good for those that want to fish in or by Whittier. The VFDA silvers swing through the entrance and the sports fisherman of Montague nail em, so yep the silvers will be a dandy in 2011 I think

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

I'm more concerned about weather and work infringing on fishing than fuel prices. I barely got out last summer, so I figure based on what I "saved" last year, I'm gunning to get out quite a bit this year.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    You got that right bkbaker. The Wally Noerenberg hatchery is boasting a return of upwards of 350,000 cohos. This bodes well for fishing in Whittier because they do a pretty good remote release right there in town! The last few years have been fairly dismal but it looks really strong this year so thats good for those that want to fish in or by Whittier. The VFDA silvers swing through the entrance and the sports fisherman of Montague nail em, so yep the silvers will be a dandy in 2011 I think
    Last year I looked at the PWSAC site. Pretty sure this years return is based on 4 million released fry. Last year was based on a release of less than 300,000. I caught fish last year but I'm hoping we have a lot more action this year.

I am planning to go out and stay out.... sleep on the boat, fish, sleep on the boat, fish, rinse, lather and repeat. Just need to get a freezer on board so I can "process" my catch and avoid the possession limit.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I'll be out there the 21st-24th weather permitting. The early season fishing can be great out there.
    Boatless

I'm going at the end of May to Bainbridge Passage for some camping and fishing in my CD 22 from Seward. It typically is pretty nice and I agree the fishing can be very good.

I plan to be there .... at least 10 trips, probably going to Baimbridge on the way out it is closer and great for Rockfish & Linger's out in front of Ellerington Is. .... a bit closer journey on a two day trip, after cleaning fish and getting ready for the next day ... overnight there have grilled ribeye steak salad & potatoes (and AK Amber) for supper turn in for a good night sleep. Next morning ... brew some coffee and cook some eggs, bacon & toast for breakfast and then get over to southeast side of Montague for big butt's, calling it off after slack tide and heading back to Seward .... probably need to give a lot of fish away ... as usual to friends ... some of it ends up at the Reno air races as my plane mechanic always goes there with provisions for the AK Fish Bake and tells me about it later .... Ahhhh the AK Lifestyle!