Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: check out the albino moose

Default check out the albino moose

anyone else see the albino moose
    Attached Images Attached Images

Do you know when these were taken? I've got some older ones from north of Healy, ..

not too sure a buddy just emailed em to me, I think he said they were taken in mich/minnesota....if I remember right. I have seen a few albinos, but not too many albino twins

Just west of La'Anse Michigan not far from where I hunted as a kid.Dad E-Mailed me a coppy about a week ago. Nice too see mose making a come back in the UP.

Thats Moose man my typing skills and spelling are bad!! Sorry will try to work on it.

Default white moose

HC,
    Not sure about the moose in question, that picture was on another forum or two in early January & there are a couple different claims to where it was taken.
    However, I did see a photo taken of a cow from around one of the military bases outside of Fairbanks this last fall which was good. There are a few around in the denali / healy area as well, but they are white not albino.
    ( white have brown eyes, & some brown / grey patches on the fur )
    There is even a print of one sold in a store in talkeetna.
    It would be cool to see in person thats for sure.

Question

What if you saw a bull in this color phase with a 60-plus inch rack, and it was open season?....K

Default I would let it go, hopefully it would die of old age

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    What if you saw a bull in this color phase with a 60-plus inch rack, and it was open season?....K
    I would be collecting cans, giving plasma, selling sperm, prostituting (or pimping), insider trading, sell timeshares, etc.... whatever I had to do to pay for the lifesize mount. :D
    "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own excellence, these are the real enemies of game".... Theodore Roosevelt's A Principle of the Hunt

There's one on Eielson AFB, it's a cow not a bull, and it's piebald,(has some brown spots) not an albino, some people have pictures of it,I have seen it. I'm sure somebody will post one...K

Cool it's not white, but who cares

got pics of this moose just across the Rich from the Eielson main gate. I think I took them on 3 July. I left Eielson in August, would have liked to see how big he was in sept. (I'm sure high 50's..might squeak a low 60).

By the time I got the truck pulled over, he was almost out of sight. Wish I could have gotten better pics.:cool:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own excellence, these are the real enemies of game".... Theodore Roosevelt's A Principle of the Hunt

I have never seen that moose, but I know a guy who might have, he's a non-hunter and he said he saw a big bull down towards Eielson Farm road. Don't think anyone has got him, no moose reported into Eielson that big this past seaon, The season runs from 1-15 sept, I know Moose can cover some ground. so who knows where he is now. Beautiful animal !!! I would give him the perfect home... on my wall.....K

Default long gone

yeah, who knows where he was by sept.... he didn't stick around all summer by the road like that 58"??? did (the one that was taken back at hidden lake in '05. That bull spent the entire summer by the Rich (where the woods were cleared for the gate construction project). You could go out there pretty much every evening and see him. A friend of mine even saw him get T-boned by a car (around 0100 in the morning). He crushed the top in, slid off, shook it off, walked over to the woods and watched the scared s$#tless passengers for a few seconds. My friend was stopped on the opposite side of the Rich (because he almost hit it). The bull crossed the median and was standing in the middle of the southbound lane. He said he flashed his lights, honked the horn, tried to warn the on-coming car on the southbound side. He said the car didn't see the moose and didn't brake (and the bull didn't move either). A straight broadside shot with a 2Klb slug. We thought that was going to be the end of him because of internal injuries (we didn't see him for a week or so). Nope!

He was definitely a "dee dee dee" moose (not taken anything away from the hunter who took him). He felt safe, obviously, but everybody in the greater Eielson area had seen him, and were after him come 1 Sept. Truely an impressive animal.

A lot of people don't realize that there are some great bulls in/and around the base. Granted, I didn't hunt the base, had a great spot up in the Whites.

be careful what you wish for.... I have a 66" bull. Moving and finding a place with wall space for it is a challenge..... yet somehow I doubt you'd care.... I don't.

I have a photo somewhere of a bull at least a 50in in my backyard when I lived in Moose Creek in the early 80's, it was the year the area got 90-100 inches of snow in a weeks time and both Eielson and Wainwright basically shut down for a week or so during that storm. It was great for me, I made a killing shoveling roofs!

Doug

Theres some big moose in that Det.460 area that Eielson is using from Ft Wainwright, that area has not been hunted for over 30 years. I think them moose can read signs...POSTED-NO HUNTING!.....K

I have a pic somewhere of a 60ish bull on elmendorf looking at my partner as we were putting in a gas main, the bull is looking down on him and they both have that, oh crap now what! look. We saw quite a few on that project, that was 6-7 years ago so I don't know what it is like now.

Wow great camo for the snow :)
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default never knew there was such a thing

Looks like a sheep mounted a cow moose and viola' ...out came albino's.

Those have white pigment fur, not albino.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post

White phase over 50% are off limits. No can shoot. ( Ak. game regs.pg 87 unit20C).

man those are some of the largest snowshoe hares I have ever seen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast