Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting areas inside an hour from downtown Fairbanks?

Question Hunting areas inside an hour from downtown Fairbanks?

Just curious are there any good hunting areas within an hours drive of downtown Fairbanks? I mostly will start on small stuff like grouse, ptarmigan and hare at first. The closer the better to start off since we will be new to Alaska. Crappy Ohio's woods only teach so much...Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by THE_HUNTERIAM View Post
    Just curious are there any good hunting areas within an hours drive of downtown Fairbanks? I mostly will start on small stuff like grouse, ptarmigan and hare at first. The closer the better to start off since we will be new to Alaska. Crappy Ohio's woods only teach so much...Thanks!
    Definitely! Some time burning dino juice and pouring over topo and land owner maps will give you all kinds of places to explore. Getting info from other people on this (or any) website is not that likely. Everyone want a great hunting spot they can get to right after work so they aren't likely to hand them out.

Well put, it's the same in Ohio in what is left. If anyone wants to private message me, we can keep it between them and I. Just trying to plan as much as I can before getting up there. Thanks!

Just curious are there any good hunting areas within an hours drive of downtown Fairbanks?.
    I would say no.

However, it also depends on what you are hunting. You can have great hunting right in town on Creamers Field refuge at certain times of the year. Check the regulations, and since F&G's office is right there that is pretty easy.

Areas that provide OK hunting? I would say yes there are a few within an hour of downtown Fairbanks. But what makes up "downtown" Fairbanks these days when the whole area has been subdivided for tens miles around?

The issue is that the places that were good 20 to 30 years ago are now covered in homes. So now, within an hour of town you have to work really hard to find a spot that does not have 10 other people hunting it.

...The closer the better to start off.....
    This makes no sense to me. Are you affraid of getting lost?

Actually staying close for the reason of squeezing in a trip on a shorter amount of time. That way I can get out more often at least.

If you are looking for grouse and hare, then there are plenty of good places to go. I have had very good luck with finding them. When are you looking to come up? I have not done any hunting for the ptarmigan around the Fairbanks area. They are around the area, but I have not been out hunting them so I cannot help you there...for now anyways!

Looking at earliest this summer coming up. A lot has to do with my wife's work. Also may work on a teaching degree at UAF, I already have a Bachelors in Biology with a Concentration in Environmental Science. Guess I will just go with the flow!

Looking at earliest this summer coming up. A lot has to do with my wife's work. Also may work on a teaching degree at UAF, I already have a Bachelors in Biology with a Concentration in Environmental Science. Guess I will just go with the flow!
    great.....so now we have a L48er soon to be Alaskan trasplant with a biology degree who may try to run for area biologist someday........not a good sign.....are you for or against PETA? FOW? what is your motive? sorry but i have to ask.......

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    great.....so now we have a L48er soon to be Alaskan trasplant with a biology degree who may try to run for area biologist someday........not a good sign.....are you for or against PETA? FOW? what is your motive? sorry but i have to ask.......
    You're right that he seems to have a lot going against him, but it might surprise you to know that I have met at least one person from Ohio who was tolerable and even somewhat fun. Let's give him a chance to prove that he's not a granola cruncher.

But.... he only gets so many strikes.
    1. Ohio
    2. Biology
    2b. Education (foul ball)
    2c. Apparently not good with maps (foul ball)
    3. ________
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Really? Knowing about biology is considered a character flaw?

I would assume that since the guy is asking about hunting that he's not a member of PETA or FOW. As for his motive, again...he's asking about hunting. Reasonably clear, wouldn't you say?

As for the area biologists, one doesn't "run" for those positions, and thank God that we have good people in those jobs who are working hard to manage our wildlife. We may not agree with everything they do, but given our access to the Board of Game process, we've got a lot to do with how things go.

I guess I'll go hide my biology and education degrees...apparently they're a source of shame and suspicion.

(realizing there was at least some sarcasm in the previous posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post

I would assume that since the guy is asking about hunting that he's not a member of PETA or FOW. As for his motive, again...he's asking about hunting. Reasonably clear, wouldn't you say?

As for the area biologists, one doesn't "run" for those positions, and thank God that we have good people in those jobs who are working hard to manage our wildlife. We may not agree with everything they do, but given our access to the Board of Game process, we've got a lot to do with how things go.

I guess I'll go hide my biology and education degrees...apparently they're a source of shame and suspicion.

LOL, yeah Brian you have to hide your bio degree to be taken seriously here and your hunting photo's to be taken seriously by your fellow biologists!

Tough crowd around here sometimes; don't let it shake ya. Alaskans are actually friendly in real life.

PM sent with an area to visit. Good luck, and welcome!

I already have a Bachelors in Biology with a Concentration in Environmental Science.
    Are you HAZWOPERed? How are your monitoring well sampling skills - you can set up a geopump quickly yes? Do you enjoy risk assessment calculations? When you hear the words "oil spill" do you cry for the critters or do dollar signs start dancing through your mind? Do you have any experience with NPDES permitting - the ADEC has just taken over this from the EPA creating an instant job for consultants that specialize in compliance issues.

Check out these two firms for a summer job, or better yet a career. Get paid to travel throughout Alaska and do strange stuff.

http://www.oasisenviro.com/index.html
    Oasis is a local Alaska firm that has expanded into the L48 since they started up back in the 1990's. Good people. Watch out for anyone named Carl. Just saying.

http://www.slrconsulting.com/
    SLR was a one man operation in North America until some former coworkers of mine started their office in Alaska. More good people, and are expanding with the purchase of a mid size locally owned firm in Anchorage.

Other than the occasional ad on craigslist, these folks hire word of mouth most the time. There are other even smaller firms up there, but may not have the customer base to bring on an FTE.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post

Perhaps I should remember that it might be better to keep my mouth shut and seem a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Smile

I want to welcome you to Alaska. Just know that some people are very territorial and not as open to new people in what they perceive to be there domain. Most peoples bark is worse than there bite and with time you will be accepted. After all most of us come from somewhere else to start with.
    May God Bless The USA!
    If you don't study and understand history, your doomed to repeat it!

lots of people are touchy, seems alot of folks want to change Alaska into the place they came from

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    Perhaps I should remember that it might be better to keep my mouth shut and seem a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
    Nah, my response wasn't directed at you, and it was all said tongue-in-cheek.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Geez, you've already condemmed him and you don't even know him!! An education isn't a bad thing, and to imply otherwise simply shows ignorance. You would be shocked at how many folks have a degree in biology, and yet none of them "run for area biologist". Just so you know, area biologist isn't an elected position, therefore, nobody "runs" for it. What's your motive for raking the guy over the coals? Sorry, but I have to ask......

Wow, what a response. Gross.

Sending you a PM, HUNTERIAM. I know a few spots; no goldmines, but a few nuggets maybe.
    Two hours will get you into better hunting & an ATV will help.
    Proud to be an American!

First off I would like to thank all of the kind people here that PM'ed me with good hints on locations. They are very greatly appreciated and as of so far courteous people such as these outstanding individuals I have been lucky to deal with, other than a few others on this forum that are erecting a set of gallows for me already without knowing me. Number one, I have always been an outdoorsman, hunter, trapper and fisherman. I went back to school to get a degree in the great outdoors to move to Alaska and away from Ohio factories. Are educated people villains or such? NO I AM NOT PETA AND IF SOMEONE CALLED ME THAT IN PERSON I WOULD SPIT IN THEIR FACE! Seems interesting that some would flex muscles behind a computer screen to bad mouth others. Do I know you? My motives are to enjoy Alaska for it's beauty and wildlife, yes and the meat from legally harvested creatures too. Hunting, trapping and fishing are necessary for food, money and yes the health of the wildlife community. Granola bars? Try deer jerky. Once again, I thank all those that have been so helpful on this forum and on the PM's and to all others, if you have a problem PM me tough behind the computer screen bullies. Have a nice day

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast