Thread: Where to buy aluminum pontoon cleaner?

Default Where to buy aluminum pontoon cleaner?

I'm in the market to buy some aluminum pontoob boat hull cleaner. I bought some a while back and I cut it 50/50 with water and you just spray it on with a sprayer and watch the old oxidation just melt off in seconds, leaving bright shint like new aluminum behind, just spray then rinse with fresh water. I bought some recently that was supposed to work great made by a company called Slimy Grimy, it did not work at all. I bought some aluminum pontoon cleaner in Valdez that came in a white gallon jug with blue labling, don't remember the name of it though. I went to West Marine in Anchorage yesterday and they didn't carry it either. They did have some eco friendly stuff like I bought so I didn't buy it either. Anyone else locally sell this stuff, maybe a house of chemicals?
    It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

Try Napa auto parts. I think there is something called alumabrite. PM fullbrush on here he has a tin boat and would probally know better than me.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Muriatic Acid is used to clean Aluminum. Spray it on and rinse it off.

Quote Originally Posted by squab View Post
    Ditto what squab said, then after it dries spray on a product called Sharkhide to prevent oxidization. Keeps it shiney for a long time.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Quote Originally Posted by squab View Post
    Be careful you don't etch the finnish with the acid.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Got to , www.sharkhide.com they have the whole system and it's all explained there.

I use ZepAlum from Valley Diesel and Marine in Wasilla. Cleans my riverboat and pontoons with a simple spray on hose off application... great stuff.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Cresent Hills View Post
    I use ZepAlum from Valley Diesel and Marine in Wasilla. Cleans my riverboat and pontoons with a simple spray on hose off application... great stuff.

Tom
    Thanks for the heads up. I gought a gallon, and I mixed it about 1 part to 20 water. I should have taken before and after pics, it melted 30 years of grime and oxidation in about 20 seconds. Spray on and rinse off, whole hull done in 1 minute. Looks like it just rolled out of the Grumman assembly line. I sprayed my aluminum 2 place tilt trailer and it looks like new too, nice and brite aluminum. Very happy with the product, thanks Billy
    It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

I just did a search and found this thread. I recently purchased a 2007 Wooldridge Sport and it has lived a lot in the PWS. The inside of the cab on the console and basically any aluminum showing has this grimy, salty like crap on the surfaces. Will these products like ZepAlum work on the inside of the boat metal safely without eating carpet, wood, fabric, seat covers, etc?? I would like to get this boat really cleaned up well because my kid will be eating anything he can get his mouth on for the next year or so and they say too much salt isn't good for little kids. Attachment 47737

Does anyone know if Valley Diesel and Marine is still around and if they still sell this Zepalume? I'm wanting to clean up the sides and bow of my boat.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Napa should also have Mac's Aluminum Brightener. 20 seconds is okay for other products but this stuff is so quick you can only do small sections cause you can't spray it off fast enough to keep up. May be overkill. Haven't seen it cause damage to rubber, plastic trim or glass but again didn't leave it on long. Zep Alum sounds good & manageable.

Thanks. Yep. they do have it and it's on sale right now too. Picking some up today since all this snow is about to melt and turn into summer. LOL
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by billy jack View Post
    I'm in the market to buy some aluminum pontoob boat hull cleaner. I bought some a while back and I cut it 50/50 with water and you just spray it on with a sprayer and watch the old oxidation just melt off in seconds, leaving bright shint like new aluminum behind, just spray then rinse with fresh water. I bought some recently that was supposed to work great made by a company called Slimy Grimy, it did not work at all. I bought some aluminum pontoon cleaner in Valdez that came in a white gallon jug with blue labling, don't remember the name of it though. I went to West Marine in Anchorage yesterday and they didn't carry it either. They did have some eco friendly stuff like I bought so I didn't buy it either. Anyone else locally sell this stuff, maybe a house of chemicals?

If your are in Anchor-town go into the port and stop by Inlet Petroleum Company. They have a variety of car care cleaning products and cleaners for aluminum, chrome, etc. Someone down at the front counter as you walk in should be able to help you find the right product for your application. Theyve got everything under the sun when it comes to cleaning stuff.....

Most NAPA stores have it as well.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"