Thread: Electric fencing

Default Electric fencing

Having some trouble. Bought a new setup and can't get much zap out of the line. It is a ploy-tape type fence. If I touch the ground terminal and the hot terminal coming out of the box, it is a pretty good zap, but if I touch just the hot, it ain't much. The instructions say to ground the "ground" side to a grounding rod and comnect the "hot" to the fencing. Problem is, the "hot" has minimal voltage. Could I connect a line from both the hot and the ground to the fencing or is there something I am missing?

One question first:
    Are you using a charger that plugs in (to house or AC circuit) or is it battery powered (DC circuit)?
    If plugged in - The reason the 'hot' alone does not zap you much is because the ground (thru the rod) has not been set (why it really zaps you when you touch both). Either way- Try attaching the ground wire to the grounding rod, then touch the fence. My bet is you will receive the appropriate amount of zap.
    Also remember that if you are wearing any type of shoe with a rubber sole- you will not get a zap (rubber insulates you from BEING the ground)

Ahhh...LOL - i was wearing bug rubber boots actually! That might be it. I will re-rest barefoot tomorrow. Thanks! I feel like an idiot.

The unit plugs into 110, by the way.

You might get a fence tester such as this one. Then you would know what voltage you have.

http://www.electric-deer-fence.com/e...ters/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by AK Explorer View Post
    Ahhh...LOL - i was wearing bug rubber boots actually! That might be it. I will re-rest barefoot tomorrow. Thanks! I feel like an idiot.

The unit plugs into 110, by the way.
    And you'll feel smarter if you stand there in your bare feet and grab a hot electric fence wire? Hmmm.... how much voltage does it take to become a genius?

:-)

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

The way I tested the fence to see if it was hot was less painful. Used a long blade of grass and started at the end and worked it closer until I felt it.
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

LOL - it wasn't that big of a deal to me to touch it. It doesn't feel good, but it doesn't hurt that bad. I mean, come on, how much of a wimp do you have to be to not just touch the thing for a second.

On second thought, I just held a metal stake and gave the fence a quick tap. Lot more zap in it that time. Works like a charm.

Thanks for the help!

Yeah, the zap does not hurt that much (unless you are 'touching' with a certain body part, but thats another story), plus I don't make it a habit to go around touching electric fences to see how hot they are. And I do not grab ahold full force- just a light tap is enough to convince me.

Grizzly Man
    I learned that lesson the hard way. Years ago a local farmer asked myself and a few other boys to clear the weeds out of his fence line. Guess what- we found he had a low running hot wire when we grabbed a clump of weeds to pull.

could be from the snow pac not letting you get grounded well too, go grab your t post them grag the wire see if she's HOT then, POOF
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Rubber sole shoes do not keep you from being shocked any more than rubber tires on a car do not keep you from being shocked when lightening strikes your car. Just saying that it does not matter what's on your feet. You should still receive a shock. Not a big dig when you're talking about a low voltage fence, but believing in this old wive's tale might get you injured or killed in other circumstances.
    Quote Originally Posted by nuprofessor View Post
    One question first:
    Are you using a charger that plugs in (to house or AC circuit) or is it battery powered (DC circuit)?
    If plugged in - The reason the 'hot' alone does not zap you much is because the ground (thru the rod) has not been set (why it really zaps you when you touch both). Either way- Try attaching the ground wire to the grounding rod, then touch the fence. My bet is you will receive the appropriate amount of zap.
    Also remember that if you are wearing any type of shoe with a rubber sole- you will not get a zap (rubber insulates you from BEING the ground)

Come on guys, we all know the way to check on an electric fence is to piss on it!!! Trust me, you will know!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

WHOP
    You hit the nail on the head when I made the statement (unless you are 'touching' with a certain body part, but thats another story).
    Out hunting in 4" snow cover. Mother Nature called. Did not know there was a hot wire along the ground to keep the farmers hogs in.
    YYEEOOWW!!

BELIEVE ME YOU KNOW IT FOR SURE!!!

when running more than one wire in the fence i like to hook the top wire hot and hook the the lower wire to the ground rod so then is the hores touches booth he get a good shock been doing it like that for years and works great. the white tape kind of fenceing i do not like at all does not work well the rope kind works good

I regret to confirm your statement. I learned this at about 12 years old. Although 38 years have passed since that "education" I recall it (with horror) like it was yesterday. Holy crap! I could feel everything between the "entry point" and the hair follicles on my head.

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    Come on guys, we all know the way to check on an electric fence is to piss on it!!! Trust me, you will know!!!

I had a similar problem, but it was due to not having a good enough ground. I ended up running two ground rods in a series, and making the ground into sort of a bowl around each one to collect more water when it rained. I don't know if that is your problem, but I now run 5 hot wires to keep the dogs in and the fence really nails you if you happen to accidentally brush against it.

my neighbor has 5 ground rods pounded in on his pasture fence all ran in a series
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ