Thread: Deep Creek Launching and Trailer Modifications

Default Deep Creek Launching and Trailer Modifications

Before I get out and launch at Deep Creek this year I would like to make some modifications to my King trailer that has 4 bunks supporting the boat. Retrieving at DC seems to tweak the bunk on it side and I would like a fix that requires minimal or no adjustment again. I'm tired of adjusting by taking the boat off the trailer which is a pain in the rear and takes away from my fishing time. And no I'm not reckless when DC retrieves me and have launched ever since it was 30 bucks to launch. I have the Deep creek side guides from AK Mining.

Would adding additional supporting brackets in the middle of the bunk help? What modifications should I look into and who do you recommend to do the fabrication? Pictures would be a plus!

Thanks
    Ryan
    Kingfisher 2525 Honda 225 & 20

The guy that runs the deep creek launch (Johnny) can probably help you out. If you ask him what you need he will be able to tell you as he has seen every problem there is with a trailer. He also will work on your trailer if you talk to him and his rates are good. He has repaired my Dad's trailer a few times and I know he has done others. Best bet is to talk to him, get his recommendations, get the parts and have him do the install while you are out fishing one day.

PS I remember when there where no tractors at Deep Creek and we went in and out of the river....good times.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Charterboat Operator

the best option you can come up with is to leave, the bunks alone and where they are at. weld onto your trailer a pipe reciever
    that will accept a piece of 3" galvanized pipe, put a piece of pvc over the pipe and you are good to go. Several good aspects of this are you can remove the pipes for road traavel and not add any width to your rig, in my case it makes a difference of having an oversized permit or not. the other is you can virtually use it as a pivot point if for some reason you miss the trailer.
    the pipes will keep the boat in general linup with the trailer and then the bunks will hold it it place.
    a good LARGE push plate is a must for launching @ DC or Anchor, works as a catch when entering the trailer and a good push while launching.
    i will try to get a couple pics this weekend while I am down working on the boat.
    PB

Hey Ryan, when I was making mods on my trailer, I went and looked at how the pro's do it. The guides that hit those trailers everyday have figured out what it takes to make the trailers take such a beating. There are a number of guide outfits right there in Ninilchik, most of the outfits are willing to let you look, measure and take pictures of their set up. Take the info back and use it for your application. No need to reinvent.

Here are a couple of pictures of my Dad's boat coming on the trailer, you can see the posts he has added to help keep the boat straight.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    Here are a couple of pictures of my Dad's boat coming on the trailer, you can see the posts he has added to help keep the boat straight.
    I thought that was your dad's old boat.....I hate deep creek.....

Charterboat Operator

still planning on getting som epics this weekend, but thought I would pass along the updated news of yesterday.
    Anchor Point Launch fee = $ 60.00/launch , have not heard what DC is yet, but dont think they will be much less.

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    The guy that runs the deep creek launch (Johnny) can probably help you out. If you ask him what you need he will be able to tell you as he has seen every problem there is with a trailer. He also will work on your trailer if you talk to him and his rates are good. He has repaired my Dad's trailer a few times and I know he has done others. Best bet is to talk to him, get his recommendations, get the parts and have him do the install while you are out fishing one day.
    This is what I would do, as well. I've had Johnny do some boat welding & trailer repair for me in the past. He has a nice shop right there in Ninilchik, and he is willing to do the work while you're out fishing. Be sure to talk & coordinate with him ahead of time.

Here is the phone number for Marine Services: 907-567-3526

Ditto: What Dan in Alaska said.
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    I thought that was your dad's old boat.....I hate deep creek.....
    It is his old boat, now its my brothers boat

Charterboat Operator

Default Guide on pics

DSC02493.jpgDSC02520.jpg
    finally got to snap a couple pics of the guide on system we use, As i stated earlier this makes it pretty convenient to remove them and lay across the swim step for transport down the highway WITHOUT an oversize permit

Charterboat Operator

Default push plate

DSC02519.jpgDSC02495.jpg

frontal view of the guide on and it is really nice expanding your bow roller to some sort of plate. This allows the tractor to push you backwars thru any swell and not have you come un-attached, also helps on the retrival as well, its a LOT easier to hit a plate like this than a 3" wide bow roller, even if you are good!

Good pics and smart thinking, polebender. Thanks!

- Jay

Thanks for the pictures Pole Bender. Where did you get the push plate and pipe receiver fabricated?
    Ryan
    Kingfisher 2525 Honda 225 & 20

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by rpdeines View Post
    Thanks for the pictures Pole Bender. Where did you get the push plate and pipe receiver fabricated?
    actually built the push plate in the shop, had cadilac plastics bend the UHMW, fortunatly the guide ons came on the trailer when i bought the boat, hte trailer was actually built by Alumaweld. there are lots of good welders in Anch and Eagle river, shouldnt be much of a project for them.
    Good luck!