Thread: Wildlife Viewing Near Anchorage?

Default Wildlife Viewing Near Anchorage?

Could anyone tell me if there is anywhere within 100 miles of Anchorage to see Sheep and Caribou? I'm assume that i will be able to see Moose and Bears near Kenai. We will be fishing for a few days there. Also could you all recommend places to see? I am going to be coming from Texas and will be there in mid September.

Thanks

Dall Sheep and Mt Goats- best chances of seein these is between Anchorage and Girdwood on the cliffs above the Seward Highway...They are frequently seen right alongside the road....The goats can be aggressive if you get too close. If you watch carefuly on the alpine slopes and avalanche slides above the highway you wil see black and brown bears as well as moose....

Moose- you can see moose just about anywhere- you just gotta be watchin for them, as with any wildlife....theyr not all over the place and there arent thousands of animals like you may think....just keep your eyes peeled and youl see them...

Caribou- there are no road accessible caribou near anchorage except the zoo.....there is a herd that frequents the communties of Kenai
    , Sterling, and Soldotna on the western Kenai Peninsula, as well as the village of Hope across the inlet from Anchorage....You might see them, you might not. If you head north on the parks highway up to Cantwell and Denali Park, you (about 4 hours north of anchorage) will see caribou there, and grizzly bears, moose, and sheep....

45 miles South of Anchorage on your way to Kenai there is a Wildlife Conservation Center....its in Portage.....there they have the following wildlife: Wood Bison, Plains Bison, Sitka Blacktailed Deer, Moose, Barren Ground Caribou, Roosevelts Elk, Musk Oxen, Black Bears, Brown/Grizzly Bears, Great Horned Owls, Bald Eagles, Porcupines, and Coyotes. I think its $7 each.

While fishing is Kenai, especially if your fishing the Kenai River, your chances of seeing a bear (brown or black) is about 50-50.....there are alot of bears in the area but for the most part they shy away from people.....

Ill give you a list of beautiful places you really should visit while you are here....
    City of Seward: Beautiful views, fishing, sealife center and Exit Glacier
    City Of Whittier
    City of Homer/ Homer Spit
    Cooper Landing/ Snug Harbor Road (excellent bear and moose viewing opportunities)
    Portage Wildlife Conservation Center (mentioned above)
    Alaska Zoo in Anchorage
    Musk OX Farm in Palmer AK
    Alaska Railroad (take a day trip from Anchorage to Seward or Anchorage to Talkeetna, you wont regret it)
    City of Talkeetna

September is the most beautiful time of year in Southcentral Alaska...Fall is in full swing, excellent silver salmon, halibut, and trout fishing....Moose are in rut and they have shed their velvet on their antlers....This is also one of the best times to look for bears in the mountain berry patches....There will also be light snow on the mountaintops to add to the scenery....Be sure to bring warm clothes, as september weather can be chilly at times.

I hope this helps give you an idea of what to expect here in our wonderful state and I sincerely hope you and your family enjoy it as much as we do......please be safe, responsible, and use common sense while viewing wildlife of any kind, they can and will severely injure and/or kill you if pushed too far...Cow moose with calves and all bears with cubs are especially dangerous, never approach or feed them them for any reason.... I would recommend that you research our wildlife and the areas you will be visiting to get a better understanding.....

Good Luck,

Jake

Release Lake Trout

If you are willing to drive a little further, there has been a resident herd of Caribou south of Cantwell, about 200 miles out of Anchorage with some exceptional views of Denali.

Thanks for the replies. Since cars are only allowed to travel a little distance into Denali National Park will we be able to see Caribou, Bears, Sheep and Moose in that little distance?

if you dont id be surprised....

Release Lake Trout

If your up in September powerline pass above anchorage is by far the best place to see moose and sheep. The kenai you will see cows and calves but likely not any bulls, where as powerline pass you will see multiple 50 plus inchers. As far as caribou good luck, the unit 13 caribou are going to have 3,000 people chasing after them in august and early september and even if you see one it is probably gonna be very spooky. If you wanna see brown bear consider chartering a flight across cook inlet or hike up the russian river hiking trail, but be careful the brownies have been known to charge people there. They are getting bold on the Kenai with a lack of brown bear hunting seasons. Many times just driving the road through cooper landing late at night or early in the morning and you will have a good chance of seeing a bear then.

Kachemak Bay down in Homer on a sunny day is one of the more beautiful sites you can see. I would definitely recommend powerline pass in september and the more toward sept. 20th the better trust me you wont regret it. It is my favorite spot for wildlife viewing I've found so far in AK. The wildlife farm in portage can also be fun as some people have recommended.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

For what it's worth, I have yet to meet anyone that would consider the town of Whitter a beautiful place. Now, Prince William Sound is drop dead gorgeous, but Whittier itself? No way.

well yea whittier itself aint much to look at but the scenery is....hope on a tour boat and you wont regret going there.

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    Dall Sheep and Mt Goats- best chances of seein these is between Anchorage and Girdwood on the cliffs above the Seward Highway...They are frequently seen right alongside the road....The goats can be aggressive if you get too close. If you watch carefuly on the alpine slopes and avalanche slides above the highway you wil see black and brown bears as well as moose....

Moose- you can see moose just about anywhere- you just gotta be watchin for them, as with any wildlife....theyr not all over the place and there arent thousands of animals like you may think....just keep your eyes peeled and youl see them...

Caribou- there are no road accessible caribou near anchorage except the zoo.....there is a herd that frequents the communties of Kenai
    , Sterling, and Soldotna on the western Kenai Peninsula, as well as the village of Hope across the inlet from Anchorage....You might see them, you might not. If you head north on the parks highway up to Cantwell and Denali Park, you (about 4 hours north of anchorage) will see caribou there, and grizzly bears, moose, and sheep....

45 miles South of Anchorage on your way to Kenai there is a Wildlife Conservation Center....its in Portage.....there they have the following wildlife: Wood Bison, Plains Bison, Sitka Blacktailed Deer, Moose, Barren Ground Caribou, Roosevelts Elk, Musk Oxen, Black Bears, Brown/Grizzly Bears, Great Horned Owls, Bald Eagles, Porcupines, and Coyotes. I think its $7 each.

While fishing is Kenai, especially if your fishing the Kenai River, your chances of seeing a bear (brown or black) is about 50-50.....there are alot of bears in the area but for the most part they shy away from people.....

Ill give you a list of beautiful places you really should visit while you are here....
    City Of Whittier
    Cooper Landing/ Snug Harbor Road (excellent bear and moose viewing opportunities)
    Alaska Zoo in Anchorage
    Alaska Railroad (take a day trip from Anchorage to Seward or Anchorage to Talkeetna, you wont regret it)
    City of Talkeetna

September is the most beautiful time of year in Southcentral Alaska...Fall is in full swing, excellent silver salmon, halibut, and trout fishing....Moose are in rut and they have shed their velvet on their antlers....This is also one of the best times to look for bears in the mountain berry patches....There will also be light snow on the mountaintops to add to the scenery....Be sure to bring warm clothes, as september weather can be chilly at times.

I hope this helps give you an idea of what to expect here in our wonderful state and I sincerely hope you and your family enjoy it as much as we do......please be safe, responsible, and use common sense while viewing wildlife of any kind, they can and will severely injure and/or kill you if pushed too far...Cow moose with calves and all bears with cubs are especially dangerous, never approach or feed them them for any reason.... I would recommend that you research our wildlife and the areas you will be visiting to get a better understanding.....

Good Luck,

Jake
    Read it twice! It's worth it.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post

City Of Whittier
    Alaska Zoo in Anchorage
    City of Talkeetna

Good Luck,

Jake
    What he said... but there is also a reindeer farm not too far from the Musk ox farm over by Palmer..../John

Jake thanks for the info. Ive already looked on a map and i think we can go to everything you mentioned. But i still wanna try to get to Denali, but im not sure if we will have time.Would i still be able to see some Moose, Caribou, Sheep, and Goats at Denali State Park? That would be something we might be able to drive to b/c of our time constraint.
    Thanks again

The town of Denali is boarded up and shut down the third week of Sept. I recommend just going south and spend more time down there. The Kenai pen is stunning. There are less caribou down there but there is an abundance of all the other animals on your list. Denali is awesome but it is a day drive up, a day there and a days drive back. You can only drive in 14 miles and the tour buses quit running in Sept as only the road lottery folks are allowed in.
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

The reindeer farm has a couple of moose, and Buffalo.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskamokaiman View Post
    The reindeer farm has a couple of moose, and Buffalo.
    they had a few Elk also, when my grandkids were over there last July

Default Anchorage Wildlife

Rabbit Creek last fall:

~tr

Nice gr8fl, I was at rabbit creek range last summer, finished up, and when I ws leaving I noticed bear tracks were all around my truck.
    I was there for less than an hour. Pretty cool, got pics on my phone but it's too early to be messin' with that. Have a good day!
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"