Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Saw a Bent Super Cub...

Default Saw a Bent Super Cub...

...being sling loaded into Lake Hood today. Won't say the N number to protect the innocent, but she had a bent right wing and prop looked like it was making power when she nosed in. Very sad indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by akaviator View Post
    ...being sling loaded into Lake Hood today. Won't say the N number to protect the innocent, but she had a bent right wing and prop looked like it was making power when she nosed in. Very sad indeed.
    I imagine it is related to this:

http://www.adn.com/2011/03/23/177178...no-flight.html

Sounds like he is a very lucky man. Any info on the cause? Hard to believe no ELT, a sat phone or even a spot for that matter.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Just my opinion but it looked like he nosed it over in soft snow...had tundra tires no skis. Didn't have any noticeable dirt or scrapes on it.

For sure on the "lucky" part.

Please don't be eamong those who find fault for his not filing a flight plan. In most of Alaska's outback flying, there is no way in which to close them.

Well, just not a very smart or responsible not have a Spot or Sat phone for emergencies.

Really?

I bet most don't.

I think that most responsible people do. With the cost of the Spot no reason not to.
    Be safe and have a good day.
    May God Bless The USA!
    If you don't study and understand history, your doomed to repeat it!

He could have filed a round robin flight plan that he would have closed upon his return to Lake Hood. Such a flight plan would have disclosed his intended route of flight and possibly expedited the search. Sorry Griz, no excuses.

The story I read is that he had a 121.5 ELT. Most pilots know that's a worthless system but lots of guys still use them. This guy could have done some things differently but from all I heard he was prepared to take care of himself and he never complained about his situation. Why are total strangers willing to criticize?

I almost never file flight plans for local flights. I never know where I'm going when I leave so it would do more harm than good. So it goes for most guys around here. The self-righteous can say whatever they want on the internet. Most guys who fly know better.

The original post said it was being slung into Hood? I've parked at Hood for 20 years and have never seen a helicopter with a sling load come in there. I'm surprised they allowed it. Most go to strips out of town and are trailered in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    I never know where I'm going when I leave.
    Let me get it straight, you take off in an airplane and don't know where you going?

Quote Originally Posted by ftaba1 View Post
    Let me get it straight, you take off in an airplane and don't know where you going?
    I sure hope that I obtain that freedom some day soon!!

All the time. I have some favorite places to go when I'm just out burning gas but nothing is for sure. Go with the flow. Ride the wind. There are lots of phrases that fit. Every guy I know with an airplane does exactly the same thing. There are times to go someplace and times when my wife kicks me out of the house and tells me to go flying.

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

+1 Mr. Pid...

I agree Mr. Pid. I didn't get my license because I wanted to fly *somewhere*, I got it because I wanted to fly. Sometimes that's what we do, just fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    All the time. I have some favorite places to go when I'm just out burning gas but nothing is for sure. Go with the flow. Ride the wind. There are lots of phrases that fit. Every guy I know with an airplane does exactly the same thing. There are times to go someplace and times when my wife kicks me out of the house and tells me to go flying.
    Yep, me too.

Obviously we have a couple real "bush" pilots here

One more here.

Most do.

Sounds like I'm an oddball here as I usually file a flight plan - takes about 2 min without weather briefing and about 10 with it. It can be easily amended in the air if need be. My thinking is if the fed provide this service why not use it - it's already paid for and it may save my bacon one day. I know I'm not a real bush pilot, just a wannabe
    Quote Originally Posted by AK-HUNT View Post
    One more here.

Most do.

I've got a pic of it being hauled in on my iPhone but it doesn't work in Bethel. I guess I'm the lucky one to see something that happens only once every more than 20 years.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast