Thread: 300meter target/caribou gun

Default 300meter target/caribou gun

Hey all quick question for ya.

I'm thinking of building a 300 meter target/ Caribou gun on my TC Contender frame.I know it would be beter too have a barrel for both, but I'm not exactly well off my 4 month old son Gunther eats up most of the budget.

If you could choice any widely avaible cal. ( remember new baby, my wildcat days are over for now) and barrel length what whould you pick?
    What optics?

It's time for Gunther's bath so I'll check back later.

are you building a pistol or rifle? you are pretty limited in the contender as far as factory barrels. i have a bullberry 14" 7-30 waters imoroved that is the most accurate gun i have, and i have many. i just ordered a rife stock set and 17hmr barrel for it, just for fun. contenders are neet little guns

Nurayb;

Rifle the wife would kill me if I got another pistol barrel for it, she wont complain about trading though. I'm not looking at a factory barrel, with MGM (match grade machine) the sky's the limit on length and cal.Your right on the factory barrels 23" is your only choice in length for a rifle.

By the way the 16" .223 I have for it know has killed several Caribou and white tail deer.

Sorry gess my question was'nt verey clear I'll try to do better in the future, and thanks for responding.

hard to pick a non-wildcat for the contender. how about 300 savage. wildcat id go with maybe 6.5jdj or similar or 7-30imp or similar. i have also been mulling it over(a rile barrel) it would be a fun little hunting rig. they make a nice compact pack gun, especialy for sheep and the like. maybe a 309jdj in a 22 incher with a little light weight scope

Nurayb;

Tahnks had'nt really thought of those.Right now I keep swinging between a 270 in a 24". Or a 338 ultra mag or 300win mag dont really know. Too be honest I've always just hunted with what was handy and am kinda new too target shooting at greater then 100 meters. Was really hopping for more input from the group.

Hunted deer with a 270 when I was younger and I got a 300win mag for moose when I moved up here.

Rick P,

If you have a 300 Win Mag Barrel, Then you have a great 300m and beyond rifle barrel already! The 300WM is a great all-a-round Alaska Rifle caliber.

If you want another caliber just to have then, a 7mm Remington Mag or a 264 Win Mag. or just about any Magnum cartridge pushing anything from a 6.5mm to 8.5mm bullet is going to work great for 300+yd shots.
    6.5mm to 8.5mm bullets in a 30-06 case are also very effective.

The ultra mags and Weatherby Mags are great for that extra 50 yds when lobbing bullets w a y, w a y out there, but as much I like the long bullets, I must say, what you already have is really good for what you want to do.
    Read up on ballistics and compare how different bullets perform. Example: some will say a 308 is only a few hundred fps off a 300 mag... but when you actually stare and compare like loads, bullet weights and similar factors, you will see what a few hundred fps changes out at 400yds. It is amazing. I suggest if you like numbers and the math of shooting, look up online 300 win mag and look at all the options in powder, bullet weights, and all that happy horse$h!t that I find as much fun to read about as it is to shoot in the field.

Sounds like you already got good equipment, but there is always another caliber or cartridge out there that one must have
    God, Guns and Guts is what made America Great

Default Not So Fast

On a TC Contender frame a standard 270 win, 300 wm, or any other magnum round exceeds the pressure capacity of that frame. The TC Contender isn't rated for cartridges abve 44,000 psi. So choose your barrels carefully.
    The 7-30 waters, 6.5 & 7 TCU, JDJ line,Herrett line, and some standards like a 30-30 win., 45-70; you get the idea. As for optics a good 3-9 should fill your needs. Good luck!!!
    Last edited by brav01; 03-02-2007 at 08:39. Reason: spelling
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

yeah, you must be talking about an encore, my suggestions were based on a contender. contender wont handle those rounds

Tahnk you gentalmen;

Whateveri8 don't have a contender barrel in 300wm. What I have is a Savage Tactical in 300wm, it's a great gun but I prefeer single shot and trully love my Contender. Besides in my experiance the 300 tends too really rip up Caribou and I hate loosing met too to much gun.

Nurayb and BravO1 thanks for putting me back on track was nervous about exceeding the contenders pressure capaity but had no idea what it was or how to get the information. I'll have to take another look at the JDJ and Harrett lines, back to the balistics charts for me.

Funny how we tend too stick to what we know,but if we just let go and explore alittle we learn so much more.I'm really loking forward to seeing what the thoughts of others are too this represents a major investment too me.

After rechecking the balistics charts and looking at avaiblity of ammo I'm leaning twords a 24" 223. I've taken white tail and caribou with that caliber before but have been told repeatedly that when it comes too caribou I've been **** lucky. Most of my friends think the 223 is "way too small" What do you guys think?

Should I scrap the contender idea and get a rugger no.1 or a encoure?
    (hate to do either I'd have too sell the contender)

Maybe I should just look at getting better optics for the 300?

Hey all as stated in the hunting forum I've decided too scrap the contender idea and get a Encore in 270 in the spring. Thanks for the help!