Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FNAWS Alaska Chapter Sheep Days 2007

Default FNAWS Alaska Chapter Sheep Days 2007

Does anybody know if the 2007 sheep days is going to happen? The FNAWS Alaska Chapter web sight has not been updated since June 16 2006 and that was just updating how the raffle went from the Jan.2006 sheep days. Just seeing if any of you have this "classified info".

I know they got a new president along with that I heard they are in $$$$ in trouble.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Gary,

So Glenn Anderson is no longer president? Do you know who is? Thanks.

Default Ak Fnaws Awol

Well its too bad this org. isn't up and running. They could have served as a valuable lead on some of this issues we have been debating here of late. I kept asking in some of my posts "where is the AK FNAWS"? Now we know and it doesn't bode well.

Default Awol?

So they are no longer in existance or are they just having trouble? I was just looking at their web site the other day and was getting ready to send them membership dues.

Steve Flory is the new president
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Steve flory was the president of the AC
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Alaska FNAWS

I was told that Wayne Heimer was the president. He's the one that sent me the last mailing. But he has not responded to my phone calls and an e-mail. His daughter told me he would be in Hawaii until this last week. Certainly the Alaska chapter needs to rebound after they staged a coup and replaced all board members.

Default Coup

I was told by an ex-board member that after the previously mentioned coup, it was determined that FNAWS would be going in a different direction to help sheep in Alaska. This was also referred to in the last national FNAWS newsletter. At the time of the coup, FNAWS had a very sizeable amount of money in the bank(ie- 6 figures) and half of that money was given to national FNAWS and the other half I think was given to AKF&G to be used on sheep projects. I was also told their would no longer be a banquet to raise money and that the Ram newsletter would be simplified and only yearly.

I am extremely disheartened that the new board has not notified/consulted/discussed any of this with the membership at large. It would be nice to be updated of such major changes. Especially since WE are paying the dues.

Default So what can we do?

So what can we do about this? Sorry to hear that there is trouble with FNAWS. Do we need to start our own Alaska Sheep Federation? If so, I will start with a $500 donation.

There are lot of us talking about sheep and sheep hunting here on the forum so I would think if we all worked together we should be able to have our own sheep days or banquet.

Quote Originally Posted by tv321 View Post
    So what can we do about this? Sorry to hear that there is trouble with FNAWS. Do we need to start our own Alaska Sheep Federation? If so, I will start with a $500 donation.

There are lot of us talking about sheep and sheep hunting here on the forum so I would think if we all worked together we should be able to have our own sheep days or banquet.
    From what I heard there is a lawsuit that is going on. On who I don't know. I pretty sure it's to recover all the lost money.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

On the national level, GSC/Ovis is suing FNAWS overing some trivial stuff. In my opinion both are at fault and both should straighten up. Not sure what is going on at the State level, though in the past few years, it did not sound very good. Right now, it sure doesn't sound like money donated would be going where it should be, to "put sheep on the mountain".

Default Alaska and National FNAWS

Alaska FNAWS is alive and gaining momentum with a new board. FNAWS has changed their direction from being project-driven to pursuing specific objectives, including increased hunter opportunities and more interest in REAL sheep managment by Fish and Game. There will be a banquet fundraiser on November 17 at Settler's Bay in Wasilla. See the calendar for more info.

Alaska FNAWS did participate with AOC on the recent Proposal 158 in the Northern Chugach, though the outcome is not to their liking. Any questions on this topic could be directed toward Wayne Heimer who is the president of Alaska FNAWS.

On the National FNAWS level, GSC/Ovis is suing National FNAWS to stop FNAWS from using any term that has to do with "slam," such as grand slam, 3/4 slam, Caprinae slam, and many other "common" terms in the sheep hunting world.

Good to see FNAWS alive and doing well.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Good to see FNAWS alive and doing well.
    I'm not convinced that Alaska FNAWS is doing all that well yet. I was a member of several years before they dropped off the face of the earth and executed the reorganization of the board. Supposedly there has been an effort to contact old members in an attempt to rebuild the membership. I have not been contacted or asked to pay any annual dues again. The Ram publication went completely away. I sent a lengthy email to the new president, Wayne Heimer, asking what I could contribute to Alaska FNAWS in terms of volunteer service and received no reply. Disappointing and not confidence inspiring when you think about sending them money.

Default Membership Dues

I recieved the renewal for my membership back in July but never sent any money because I had no idea what was going on. I want to support putting "sheep on the mountain". Need to know what is going on?
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

Contact FNAWS and talk to one of there board members.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

if Steve Flory is one of the board members - Look out is all I have to say

Perfrom your own Due Diligence

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    if Steve Flory is one of the board members - Look out is all I have to say

Perfrom your own Due Diligence
    Well there is that issue too. Flory must be a bowhunter...

Flory is no bowhunter...he shoots a crossbow because I dont think he is able to have a gun. Something about a felony conviction in his past.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast