Thread: Shrimping Weekend - early, middle or late season?

Default Shrimping Weekend - early, middle or late season?

ok... all the talk on shrimping has me getting excited to go again this year. Here's another question for you experts... if someone was to schedule a 4 day stretch on the water, to shrimp their butts off and fill the freezer(s) for the year - what would be better? Right at or near the opener April 15th, later in May, or middle June? Does it matter much? Do people go like gangbusters right off and the stocks are depleted as the season progresses? Or are the little insects prolific enough that it makes no difference? This will only be my 2nd year doing it and last year was my practice/learning time, although I'm sure to learn and practice more this year too! I was only able to make a day here and there, starting mid-May but I'd like to make the trips a little more economical with the tunnel passes, launch fees and fuel and do one big trip.

Ideas? Thanks!
    Last edited by Swissy; 03-28-2011 at 12:19. Reason: can't speel
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

I've heard they aren't all that deep early in the season. I'm gonna test it 1st hand in about 2 weeks
    Last edited by fullbush; 03-28-2011 at 12:37. Reason: fix some spelling

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

It doesn't matter much, if you have the right spot, you can catch them anytime. I personally have not seen the deeper earlier thing, but I have heard this as well. I know some spots on the Valdez side are good early and then turn off mid summer. I will be going out early for shrimp as well, mainly to get the boat in the water and have some fun before things warm up and get crowded.

Going for multiple days allows you to prospect some and find the best spots.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Those caught later in the season have more eggs on them. Later in the summer/fall, it is not unusual for about 20% to have eggs. I don't like to Vacpac any that have eggs. I always eat them (eggers) fresh. Other than that, good spots always produce.