Thread: BOG

Default BOG

When do the board of game results usually go public? Im waiting to see if we lost the spike/fork on the kenai or not.

Spike/fork is gonna be gone. There's a serious lack of mid-size bulls, and just overall bulls. The results should be available in a day or two when the meeting wraps up. Black bears should be increased to 3 and keep the fingers crossed for a brown bear hunt. I was there for the Cordova presentation and they harvest between 50 and 70 brown bears annually and from biologists estimates there's about 1/2 to a 1/3 the available habitat there than on the Kenai. Very interesting. One thing is by eliminating the spike/fork well go into intensive managment and most likely get wolf control for unit 15C, prolly not 15A and B though because its on the refuge.

Getting rid of shooting spike forks doesn't make sense without a cow season...

Quote Originally Posted by 33outdoorsman View Post
    I was there for the Cordova presentation and they harvest between 50 and 70 brown bears annually and from biologists estimates there's about 1/2 to a 1/3 the available habitat there than on the Kenai. Very interesting.
    I seriously doubt there's that big a discrepency in the habitat. I don't doubt that that is their estimate. But what they aren't considering is Unit six has way more PRIME bear habitat. More salmon streams and salmon by far, way less roads, not even close. And same with population. Lots of brush to hide in. Unit 6 is filthy with bears, black and brown. It's GREAT bear habitat, where the Keani is good habitat with lots of human interaction.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Lot's of salmon streams on the Kenai. As far as I know the road kill bears are minimal. Granted there are DLP's but that is the harvest, very little hunter harvest about 25 to 30 bears with DLP's and hunter harvests combined usually. Cordova area shoots twice the brown bear, the biologist made it sound like 6D has few brown bear so most of them are restricted to 6A,B, and C, where as the KP has brown bear habitat throughout the unit except south of Homer and deep into the Kenai moutains. They estimate 800-1300 brown bears for the cordova area and they're afraid to put a number to the kenai brown bears, but brown bears are one of the hardest animals in AK to count and your probably not ever going to get a really accurate count on brown bears except in some very select areas of AK like kodiak. I even talked to the area biologists on the Kenai and they both agreed the kenai has great brown bear habitat. The results from their radio collared bears on the kenai showed a better annual survival than kodiak island, I would say the habitat is there on the kenai to support a moderate brown bear hunt.

Roads, human access, human interaction.......I know people want to downplay the influence it has on wildlife, but it's a biggy. It's the price you pay for having so many people spread all over the Kenai.

Start hunting bears in unit 16. Everybody says it needs it.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

There's a lot of human interaction in unit 14 and they have a general hunt there. Anyway its irrelevant because it's going to stay at the low numbers of drawing permits. The species of special concern listing just kills the hunt opportunities for brown bears on the KP. I can go hunt other units just wanted to have the chance at getting one of the multiple big boars I've been seeing lately on the Kenai.

You gotta admit theres alot of real estate on the KP that don't have much human interaction...some areas people avoid just because of the bears. When i fished the russian river as a kid, we saw one black bear in the 5 years i lived in soldotna, now if i go and don't see at least one black and a family of brownies i'm disapointed...now theres some human interaction for ya! more are killed on roads now than ever....more human interaction. maulings on the KP, human interaction, gut piles being taken over, human interaction.
    bears numbers are climbing and they will move into urban areas if they aren't hunted...got some that live in anchorage too. look at the bears on the russian river and the occasional you see walking down the bank of the kenai river.
    survey residents of the KP and ask how many have seen a brownie...then survery all of unit 13, and 14 and ask how many of them have seen one...might be suprised at how many on the KP have had one walk thru the yard, kill a moose calf in the drive way, steal some fish or whatever...bears down there get ballsy when they don't get shot at.
    Its not so much human interation as it is hunting pressure. just look at the lower 48...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Spike Fork is gone, its 4 brow tines and 50 inches now.