Thread: Cordova Silver Travel Spinning Rod Recommendation

Default Cordova Silver Travel Spinning Rod Recommendation

I will be going to Cordova the first week of september for a Bear hunt and will do some fishing while I'm there. I wanted to get some recommendations on a decent travel spinning rod for silvers. I was hoping to find something in the 7'-8' ft length and a M-MH. I would like a 4pc, but would settle for the right 3pc. Any help would be appreciated.

I bought a browning out of cabelas and caught everything from trout to pinks and kings to 40+ pounds on it. I held up very well

Igall
    both 3 bears and Sportsman Whse has some decent 4 pc travel rods that would work fine for Valdez silvers...../John

I found a Wright & McGill 3pc 8-17lb medium action rod at 3 rivers at a show special of $99. It seemed to be perfect for what I needed. Anyone with any experience with these rods?

I have a few 4 pc spinning rods that I made from 4 pc flyrod blanks. A 7 or 8wt 9ft blank would make a great silver rod. That is what I use for steelhead fishing.

My Son and I have the Eagle Claw, 4 piece, 7 ft rods... Think they are rated as light action... by most standards they are cheap - retail for around $40..(the last time I bought one) The action is ..... exciting, on everything from Grayling over by Eureka or Deshka Silvers.../John

Quote Originally Posted by gb steel View Post
    I have a few 4 pc spinning rods that I made from 4 pc flyrod blanks. A 7 or 8wt 9ft blank would make a great silver rod. That is what I use for steelhead fishing.
    I want to build some 9ft steelhead spinning rods! I owned a GL-2 that I lost in the Snake and I bought a GL-3 (way too expensive) to replace it but I'd love to build my own. Could you give me some ideas on blanks? (Sorry to change the subject Igall, I know of some dandy spots in Cordova to waylay coho BTW)

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

No, problem I also was curious about building a rod out of a fly rod blank. We will be mainly at Alaganik Slough and will have a 14ft Jon with a Jet. Let me know any good spots, we will be Bear Hunting in the Mornings and Evenings, and fishing during the day. I hope to get my Bear early and have more time to fish.

Quote Originally Posted by lgall View Post
    No, problem I also was curious about building a rod out of a fly rod blank. We will be mainly at Alaganik Slough and will have a 14ft Jon with a Jet. Let me know any good spots, we will be Bear Hunting in the Mornings and Evenings, and fishing during the day. I hope to get my Bear early and have more time to fish.
    You bet lgall. Alaganik should be in full swing in sept. it has a later run that actually goes into late sept. You will have no problem running your skiff up to Mckinnley lake the silvers are hogs in there BTW 15 to 18 pounders, I'd say a 12lb average. There will be lots of spawning sockeye in the lake and pretty good cutthroat fishing. So you're brown bear hunting?

I'm taking a poll

Will will be Brown Bear Hunting, but I prefer to fish. Hopefully we will have some fresh silvers for the grill.

Quote Originally Posted by lgall View Post
    Hopefully we will have some fresh silvers for the grill.
    I guarantee you will

I'm taking a poll

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    I want to build some 9ft steelhead spinning rods! I owned a GL-2 that I lost in the Snake and I bought a GL-3 (way too expensive) to replace it but I'd love to build my own. Could you give me some ideas on blanks? (Sorry to change the subject Igall, I know of some dandy spots in Cordova to waylay coho BTW)

I use Rainshadow or Batson blanks. They are pretty good priced for blanks. Check out the website. My steelhead rods for throwing spoons are 7wt and 8wt. 9 ft 4pc. My float rods are actually spey rods. One is an 11-6 7wt. 4 pc. and the other is an 13ft 7 wt. 4pc. I can use either a centerpin or a spinning rod on any of them.

Have you considered a telescoping rod? I have one that is surprisingly good. I bought it at Cabelas a few years back.

sportmans show this weekend there will besome great deals there check it out if you are going