Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Smolt Migration on the Kenai

  1. #1

    Default Smolt Migration on the Kenai

    When does it start? I've seen the arctic tern going crazy in May, but does it start earlier than that? Would a guy have any luck fishing alevin patterns in April?

  2. #2
    Member alaskachuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    3,256

    Default

    I have no idea when it happens but I do know smolt patterns work well for the wife and in in june and early july
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

  3. #3
    Member 900fusion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Menominee, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    1,021

    Default

    Seen quite a few smolts this past weekend below the ferry
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

  4. #4
    Member 6XLeech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,162

    Default

    Few years ago, I thought I read that smolt outmigration is triggered by water temp.
    Can't find where I read that though...yet.

  5. #5
    Member FishGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fishing your hole before you get there
    Posts
    1,948

    Default

    It is temperature dependent for alevin, fry, and smolt migrations. The pink alevins are moving right now during the night. I coaxed a school in with the lantern this weekend. The pink fry were almost buttoned up. A small slit from the yolk sac was still present. Sockeye fry were also migrating towards the lakes at night this weekend. Smolt don't start outmigrating till first of May through June. Epoxy fry patterns were the ticket this weekend.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

  6. #6

    Default

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mail-1.jpeg 
Views:	126 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	47299


    This is the only thing I got any hits on the last 2 days! Myself and a couple buddys threw everything at them and this was the only thing they would hit, oh and falling snowflakes!

  7. #7
    Member kenaibow fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,039

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Franken Fish View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mail-1.jpeg 
Views:	126 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	47299


    This is the only thing I got any hits on the last 2 days! Myself and a couple buddys threw everything at them and this was the only thing they would hit, oh and falling snowflakes!

    is that a bead or a glo bg on the bottom?

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    is that a bead or a glo bg on the bottom?
    Heres the recipe:
    Tiemco 9394 Size 10 hook
    lead wire for weight wrapped 2/3 length of hook
    White Kevlar thread
    Flesh Rabbit Strip
    Flashabou under tail
    Flat diamond braid pearl wrapped up the body
    Red Egg Yarn trimmed to look like a yolk sac
    Its similar to a zonker minnow that I tied for the Fly Swap(another)

  9. #9
    Member kenaibow fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,039

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Franken Fish View Post
    Heres the recipe:
    Tiemco 9394 Size 10 hook
    lead wire for weight wrapped 2/3 length of hook
    White Kevlar thread
    Flesh Rabbit Strip
    Flashabou under tail
    Flat diamond braid pearl wrapped up the body
    Red Egg Yarn trimmed to look like a yolk sac
    Its similar to a zonker minnow that I tied for the Fly Swap(another)

    oh sweet can't wait to get my hands on that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  10. #10

    Default

    I wrote a Fly of the Month article for the Alaska Fly Fishers' monthly newsletter about a pattern much like that, but it used polar chenille for an extra flashy look. Members of the Ak Fly Fishers might remember the pattern, I would post the article but I can't find it on my computer.

  11. #11
    Member bigcox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    Posts
    1,397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKGrayling View Post
    I wrote a Fly of the Month article for the Alaska Fly Fishers' monthly newsletter about a pattern much like that, but it used polar chenille for an extra flashy look. Members of the Ak Fly Fishers might remember the pattern, I would post the article but I can't find it on my computer.
    Egg Sucking Smolt?
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...


    http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

  12. #12

    Default

    He is imitating an alevin.

  13. #13
    Member FishGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fishing your hole before you get there
    Posts
    1,948

    Default

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imagesCA6NP7I7.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	3.9 KB 
ID:	47326Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP2300[1].JPG 
Views:	100 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	47325

    We had double digit days per person all weekend. EPOXY FRY !!!!!!!
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

  14. #14

    Default

    I honestly don't remember what i called it but I think it was called a matuka smolt or something like that.

  15. #15
    Member alaskachuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    3,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imagesCA6NP7I7.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	3.9 KB 
ID:	47326Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP2300[1].JPG 
Views:	100 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	47325

    We had double digit days per person all weekend. EPOXY FRY !!!!!!!
    Those work for June and I too
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

  16. #16
    Member 6XLeech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ckreitel View Post
    When does it start? I've seen the arctic tern going crazy in May, but does it start earlier than that? Would a guy have any luck fishing alevin patterns in April?
    Terns start crashing the surface as the Kings move upriver it seems, but I haven't found the temperature information I read in the past. Can't imagine the water temperature fluctuates more than a few degrees on many Alaska streams.

    Like other phenomena involving migrations or rivers, events start before they become obvious, so I try to fish sooner than common wisdom dictates when I can. April is generally a good time to start getting out. In fact, some guys on other threads seem to be finding fish in March! Try what flies you have - might get lucky.

  17. #17
    Member ak_powder_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River/ Juneau
    Posts
    5,154

    Default

    Smolt Migration on the Kenai typically goes from May 2 until June 10, stop by the cooper landing bridge some evening in that time frame and drool on the giant rainbows lakers and dollies destroying fish on the surface...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

  18. #18
    Member bigcox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    Posts
    1,397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Smolt Migration on the Kenai typically goes from May 2 until June 10, stop by the cooper landing bridge some evening in that time frame and drool on the giant rainbows lakers and dollies destroying fish on the surface...
    Really, that sounds awesome! I will have to check that out.

    Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...


    http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

  19. #19
    Member ak_powder_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River/ Juneau
    Posts
    5,154

    Default

    in fact any time the river is closed is clearly when the best fishing would be
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •