Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: survival rifles.

Default survival rifles.

Hey, I was wondering what you guys would recomend for a "survival rifle" was debating between the Henry survival rifle, the AR-7 and the marlin papoose, the reason I don't like the papoose is it doesn't go into its stock. I hear the AR-7 is fairily accurate, more so then the Henry survival rifle, but the henery survival rifle is cheaper. The papoose would be nice cause it has teh bag, and I could put a fairily good size survival kit along with other essentials in there. but the AR-7 or the henery would be nice cause it gets soo smalland if I were moose hunting I could just pop it in my pack and boogie and if a saw a grouse I could pop it, or if I was camping, I could have it in my pack so I didn't have to use my moose gun for grouse and stuff (by "barking them"). Anyway, what do you guys reccomend?

Take a look at a springfield m6, although they quit making them and the price went up substantially.

Ihave an old AR-7 and everything stores in the stock. Yu can put in into the pack with other survival stuff and the .22LR will take grouse and "stuff". Isn't the papoose single shot? AR-7 has a five shot magazine so that is an advantage.

I have an old Stevens single shot boltaction 22 that I strap onto my framepack with 2 bungee cords. It's striker fired with like 2 moving parts so it's pretty well bomb proof. The receiver is machined into the rear of the barrel so when I cut the barrel down it made for an incredibly short package, short enough it doesn't need to take down. When strapped to the pack it doesn't protrude from either the top or bottom of the frame. Best part is I paid either 25 or 50 dollars for it, if you can find something like that it might be a good home gunsmith project to cut it down and file a new dovetail for the front sight.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Isnít the Henry, just another version of the AR-7?

With the added benefit of the ability to mount a scope?

I have an AR-7, and it is very accurate, in that I can shoot it very accurately with the peep sight on it. Iím certain, that it would be adequate for surviving on small game.

I donít know why the Henry Version wouldnít be as accurate.

Iíd probably starve to death, if I hadda depend on what I was able to bag with my Beretta 21A in 22 LR, especially under stress, but itís surprising how well it does at times.

Iíd prefer a longer barrel 22 revolver, to the 21A, but the AR-7 is a better choice than both, when the chips are down.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

My favorite is a scoped 22 pistol ( MKIT Ruger). Very accurate, small and light.

I have had a papoose for over 20 years and it is a great little rifle. It never jams despite the fact that I rarely clean it. I have literally put 1000 rounds through it with no problems at all. I hate the fat goofy plastic stock on the "survival rifle". Sure it suites the purpose of storing the barrel but it makes the whole rifle too wide and funky for me. The Papoose is also NOT a single shot, it is a semi auto with a factory 7 round magazine and if you look a bit 10 and 15 rounders can be found. The only "negative" I have about the papoose is the barrel attachment system. I wish that it didn't need a special spanner wrench to bolt on. That said it is very accurate and I have removed and replaced it many many times with no change in zero.

Just for arguments sake what about adding the ithaca in the mix

http://ithacagun.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=64

I found this article showing and talking about a few.
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/survival_rifles.htm

And this is just way COOL
    http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/rifle...-22-410-a.html
    Semper Fi and God Bless

How about a savage 24 O/U with a 22mag or 22 hornet on top and a 20 or 12 gauge on the bottom? Or for a lighter version how about just a 22lr over .410, and I believe they made a take-down version also.

Quote Originally Posted by mekaniks View Post
    How about a savage 24 O/U with a 22mag or 22 hornet on top and a 20 or 12 gauge on the bottom? Or for a lighter version how about just a 22lr over .410, and I believe they made a take-down version also.
    might as well take an 870 if you're going to carry around all that
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    might as well take an 870 if you're going to carry around all that
    Exacially.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Isnít the Henry, just another version of the AR-7?

With the added benefit of the ability to mount a scope?

I have an AR-7, and it is very accurate, in that I can shoot it very accurately with the peep sight on it. Iím certain, that it would be adequate for surviving on small game.

I donít know why the Henry Version wouldnít be as accurate.

Iíd probably starve to death, if I hadda depend on what I was able to bag with my Beretta 21A in 22 LR, especially under stress, but itís surprising how well it does at times.

Iíd prefer a longer barrel 22 revolver, to the 21A, but the AR-7 is a better choice than both, when the chips are down.

Smitty of the North
    What would the point of a scop be on a gun that you put into its own stock? where would you put the scope?? Lol I hate scopes anyway. I believe the AR-7 now comes with a better rail to mount a scope on,

the henery is cheaper cause its a "knock-off" of the AR-7.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I have had a papoose for over 20 years and it is a great little rifle. It never jams despite the fact that I rarely clean it. I have literally put 1000 rounds through it with no problems at all. I hate the fat goofy plastic stock on the "survival rifle". Sure it suites the purpose of storing the barrel but it makes the whole rifle too wide and funky for me. The Papoose is also NOT a single shot, it is a semi auto with a factory 7 round magazine and if you look a bit 10 and 15 rounders can be found. The only "negative" I have about the papoose is the barrel attachment system. I wish that it didn't need a special spanner wrench to bolt on. That said it is very accurate and I have removed and replaced it many many times with no change in zero.
    You can't do it by hand?

does it come with the wrench?

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    You can't do it by hand?

does it come with the wrench?
    It is a tight fit if you have a scope on it but it is a knurled collar that spins onto a threaded receiver and holds the barrel in place. The wrench is a simple stamped steel spanner wrench that comes with the rifle. Mine disappeared the last time it was shipped and I have had a heck of a time finding a new one! I really like the little gun though and it has killed lots of grouse! I need to get it fixed back up so my kids can use it now.

Hmmm, an Encore pistol w/a 15" 22LR bbl might not be a bad option - you could always have a spare bbl in a centerfire caliber as well for larger game?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    What would the point of a scop be on a gun that you put into its own stock? where would you put the scope?? Lol I hate scopes anyway. I believe the AR-7 now comes with a better rail to mount a scope on,

the henery is cheaper cause its a "knock-off" of the AR-7.
    A scope is an option that some people might like.

I think the AR-7 Explorer, is no longer made by Charter Arms. I checked into the used prices for them, a year or so, ago, thinking I might wanna sell mine. When I considered the price I might expect, Prob., $150.00 MAX, I decided to keep it.

Henry calls their version, "U.S. Survival AR-7" and the M.S.R.P. is $275.00

Henry Repeating Arms, is a reputable company, and their guns are Made in the USA. They're also quite popular.

So, you see, they AREN'T "cheaper," and it doesn't seem reasonable that they would make a cheap knock-off, of the Survival Rifle, anyway.

Check their Website.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Who Cares. Your going to die..............Period. Maybe tomorrow, maybe next week, maybe in several years, either way your ARSE is Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    A scope is an option that some people might like.

I think the AR-7 Explorer, is no longer made by Charter Arms. I checked into the used prices for them, a year or so, ago, thinking I might wanna sell mine. When I considered the price I might expect, Prob., $150.00 MAX, I decided to keep it.

Henry calls their version, "U.S. Survival AR-7" and the M.S.R.P. is $275.00

Henry Repeating Arms, is a reputable company, and their guns are Made in the USA. They're also quite popular.

So, you see, they AREN'T "cheaper," and it doesn't seem reasonable that they would make a cheap knock-off, of the Survival Rifle, anyway.

Check their Website.
    Smitty of the North
    Ah, but there is hte kicker, in the henery catalog that I got 2 years or so ago, I saw the "henery U.S. survial rifle" for 212.95 or something like that, and it came in camo, Silver (why the heck silver??) and black, the AR-7 they now sell is 275.00 and only comes in black.

Would you still be interested in selling yours maybe this summer?

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Who Cares. Your going to die..............Period. Maybe tomorrow, maybe next week, maybe in several years, either way your ARSE is Toast.
    Thats nice....I would rather die kickin and a fightin that sittin on a stump feeling sorry for my self.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast