• Over thirty years

14 11.20%
  • Those were my arrowheads in the Lime Hills cave

1 0.80%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Longevity in Alaska hunting

Default Longevity in Alaska hunting

Here's yet another poll.

While I realize that there are a lot of idiots out there who have been idiots a long time, it is generally accepted that the longer you've hunted Alaska, the more you should know about it. I see a lot of advice here (and all of it is welcome, by the way), but I know some of the stuff is coming from 14-year-old kids who have barely been to the rifle range. But this is the Internet (thanks, Al Gore!), and you can be nearly anyone.

So I thought a poll on how long you've hunted Alaska might be interesting. Of course it relies on honesty, which in one sense could be the sticking point, right? But I have disabled the feature on this one that reveals who you are, so you are safe if you have to admit that you're still wet behind the ears. No harm done!

Now that I've offended all our new readers / posters, let's get this party started!

:-))

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Talking Disabled

Michael: How much got disabled? No poll showing
    Last edited by kingfisherktn; 03-01-2007 at 18:33. Reason: I showed up too quick, poll showed up!

Default Should be working

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Michael: How much got disabled? No poll showing
    But now I know how you voted!
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Smile Anonymous?

So much for that! Grew up in Oregon and started hunting with the family in the mid '50's, came to AK in '72 and been going at it ever since. What a time, life is grand!

kingfisherktn

Default You gave it away!

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    So much for that! Grew up in Oregon and started hunting with the family in the mid '50's, came to AK in '72 and been going at it ever since. What a time, life is grand!

kingfisherktn
    King-

Actually I DID disable the identifier on this thread, but the reason I know how you voted is because you voted immediately after I posted the poll!

Heh.

-Mike

Default Alaska experience

You are SOOOOOO right!!!!! I read some of these forums and have been attacked by a couple on here that pass themselves off as hard-core long-time Alaska hunters, only to find out they are every bit of 19 and 17 years old..... Just old enough to know nothing at all. I think we all remember we thought we could conquer the world at 19, too, so I don't take them seriously.

For the record, I have lived in Alaska and hunted here since May 1984. I cut my teeth hunting in the hills of Arkansas, and grew up with a gun in my hands. Now I am 51 years old.

This is a good thread. Maybe the posers will see themselves and stop insulting their intelligence with their insane posts.

Yes, thanks Al Gore. (Speaking of posers).............
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Moved her in 88 and what a grand time I've had 8-) I've had the good fortune to see lots of the Great Land . Still going strong Lord Willing!

Thumbs up

Family moved us up here in 1972 and dad drug me along on the moose and caribou trips starting in the mid-late 70's. I was hooked and haven't missed a season yet (except for those pesky college days...).
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

been here for 12 years (as of feb). so far I'm in the double digits for not getting drawn for a hunt. I'm gonna try and go for a record.

Wink At least I'm honest!

I voted as only in my dreams...for now that is. Good Lord willing I will be there this coming season!!

As for being a poser... I have tried to make it very clear who I am, what I know, certainly what I don't know, and I think I have done so in a respectable manner. I have spoke of my background knowledge and experience, some of which may relate to AK experiences (food, guns, packs, camping, religion, building, etc.) and of course the many questions and casual conversation. Yes, there are posers out there. I like to think that we can judge character right through the screen sometimes, but we all know that isn't always the case, so I too am glad to see this poll!

Joshua

Wink Joshua means "The Lord Is Salvation"

Must be Honest!

Thumbs up Longevity

Good question. Although, I figure I can learn from anyone, so I do like to see everyone's opinion.

Family first came up in 61, was born in 67, been here on and off, hunting until becoming permanent in 80. I've hunted a good part of the state through the years. Brooks range for moose, sheep, bear. All over SE for deer, blackies, and brownies, slope for bou, SC for everything that lives here. Doubt you could name an area I haven't hunted or worked, or most of the time, both.

Was the top shooter on Lathrop High rifle team for a couple of years, went to college at Sheldon Jackson in Sitka.

I sure don't know much, but I've sure seen a lot.

We were all young once, and said things we didn't think though, but hey, that's living. I still do it.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

I've been hunting Alaska my whole life, but have only hunted by myself for about 21 years. I'm 29. I took the 15 to 20 option because I didn't start hunting big game until I was about 13. I am not sure I understand the purpose of this poll.

I've been hunting by myself for over 20 years, but that doesn't mean much since I only hunted small game near my home and cabins for the first 5. The last 15 years I have hunted both small and large game, but not seriously, and mostly for the camping/outdoor experience.

I don't mean to rile anyone up, but I take some offense to the comments about young people not being able to know much because of their age. Like I said before, I've been hunting for over 20 years, but I guarantee there are more successful hunters out there that are half my age, and 10x more successful. With or without the help of a partner or guide. Not everyone at 19 thinks they can take over the world, there most likely are a few of them that probably could, but never let on. The capabilities of the human mind should never be underestimated, young or old. Nor should the experiences of those you do not know.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Doin it for the record hu.

O.k moved here the first time in 86 moved back in 87 because my at that time girlfreind begged me too and said she'd changed(Ya right) married to her less than a year and she spilt leaving me with about 30k in debt worked too rebiuld my founding till 90 met and married my curent wife and made a bee line ofr alaska. Other than a 3 year break too recover from a fractured vertibra I've been hunting and fishing here ever since.
    Grew up in a little town north of Marquette Michigan called La'anse. And have been a avid outdoorsman my entier life. Started shooting with Dad at the range and flyfishing when I was about 5. Got my first White tail at 9 (no not leagle age even back then).
    I consider myself a father and husband first, a Alaskan secound, an outdoorsman third and a US citizen fourth maybe fith. Things have just gotten too wierd in the lower 48.

P.S. Acording to my father I started asking if we could move too Alaska when I was 3 and never let up till I came here perminatly.

Default age means everything?

I have had the opportunity to hunt with a wide range of people. Some are great hunters and I have learned a lot from them. Others not so much. I have a 23 year old brother who has lived in Alaska his whole life. He's my brother and I love him like no other, but I would put more faith in my 12 year old son out in the bush. Dont ever think age is more important than expeirence. They dont always go hand in hand.

Fishlakehome;

True I know some folks in there 50's I would'nt trust to watch paint dry.By the Way I'm 40

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Here's yet another poll.

so you are safe if you have to admit that you're still wet behind the ears. No harm done!

Now that I've offended all our new readers / posters, let's get this party started!

:-))

-Mike
    Not too offended...I'll admit that I'm under 2 yrs...but you have to take into account hunting in other states too. I know alot of you guys thing this is the hardest place in the world to hunt, and I agree to a certain extent. But I'll tell you this, Late season bow hunting in the UP of Michigan is no joke!! -30 sitting in the tree stand or -50 sitting on the ice fishing is no fun !! I've seen colder but chose to stay home those days. This is where my gear and experience excell (sp), my cold weather gear is outstanding...to bad it doesn't get that cold here in Kodiak!

I'll be tacking on the ol' 32 this year, I'm no spring chicken anymore, but I can't say I'm as wise as I'd like to be either. You gotta listen to everyone who's willing to give an opinion or advice, then go from there on your gut.

Just saying you gotta take into account total life experience, and years hunting too....not just in AK...but I have met alot of guys up here with some good experince and advice!!
    Hunt not with a gun big enough for what you are hunting, hunt with a gun big enough for what may be hunting you!

I'll secound that one Gshephered. The weather was alot more demanding in the UP than southcentral Alaska anyway. La'Anse gets an average of 305 inches of snow a year 3 months of sub -20 and then 3 months of 85+ degrees in fact the coldest real temp I ever experianced was -56 in La'Anse secound couldest -52 in Barrow. Also the terain is either all striat up and down or half under water.

Default Roger that...

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    I'll secound that one Gshephered. The weather was alot more demanding in the UP than southcentral Alaska anyway. La'Anse gets an average of 305 inches of snow a year 3 months of sub -20 and then 3 months of 85+ degrees in fact the coldest real temp I ever experianced was -56 in La'Anse secound couldest -52 in Barrow. Also the terain is either all striat up and down or half under water.
    While on duty on the ship one morning (in the Soo) I got up to check the outside temp. -75!! The weather channel said like -51. So, I tried to get someone to come out to conferm it for a state record...but it didn't happen. My ol' 79 F150 was the only truck to start that morning. That was my coldest day ever! Brrrr!!
    Hunt not with a gun big enough for what you are hunting, hunt with a gun big enough for what may be hunting you!

12 years and counting
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast