Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moderators / Ignore Feature?

Default Moderators / Ignore Feature?

Why can't I put Moderators in my ignore feature or queue?

I understand that I shouldn't be able to do that to all moderators, necessarily.
    I also understand that Moderators are there for a reason and are held to a different standard, but when it comes down to it, we are all members on a board. This board. I think that we should be able to have that function if we so choose as members.

Again, I am not saying ALL Mods... just the ones that we so choose to 'ignore'.

So... my question is, why can't I put Moderators on ignore?
    Lurker.

What's the answer here fellas...
    would be nice
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

My best guess at this is that some of the settings on the forums were "presets", or default settings that come with the vBulletin software. We can adjust these, but when we started from scratch, we changed things as we saw necessary. I wasn't directly involved with starting this system when we switched over to the vBulletin system, but that's my assumption.

As for why that might be ideal, at times it is necessary for a moderator to address a member in an official capacity. The majority of what mods post (including myself) is not related to their official roles, but at times they need to put their "mod hat" on and address a member or group of members. At that time it is important for all members to see the post so that we're all on the same page, be it with regards to the direction of a thread or some other issue. As such, it seems to make sense that all members need to see what moderators have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    As for why that might be ideal, at times it is necessary for a moderator to address a member in an official capacity. The majority of what mods post (including myself) is not related to their official roles, but at times they need to put their "mod hat" on and address a member or group of members. At that time it is important for all members to see the post so that we're all on the same page, be it with regards to the direction of a thread or some other issue. As such, it seems to make sense that all members need to see what moderators have to say.
    I can respect the 'Mod Hat' analogy.
    I feel as if a Mod needs to address a member specifically, it could be done via Private Message.
    I feel that if a Mod needs to address a group, they could still do it publically or privately, but at least the member still has the option to 'view post' as they personally sees necessary according to that particular Mod that they have utilized the ignore feature.

I believe that you are right, Brian M, in that it does make sense that all members need to see what moderators have to say and communicate.
    I will say that I believe that we should have the option. I believe that there is a difference between what we want to see and what we need to see and I feel that we should have that option or the option should be looked into.

Now... if there is no way for the Mod who is on the ignore feature for a particular member to communicate via Private Message, then I think that it's safe to have another Mod be the liasion between both the Mod who is on the ignore feature and the member because there would obviously be a reason to the ignore feature being utilized from a member to a Moderator. It shows a level of accountability that I think that every Mod should have in case that particular ignore feature is utilized from a member.

Basically, I think that the option should exist or at least be researched into indepth and highly considered.
    Lurker.

Idea.
    Maybe this could be something that Premium and Supporting Members can have access to?
    Lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    Why can't I put Moderators in my ignore feature or queue?

I understand that I shouldn't be able to do that to all moderators, necessarily.
    I also understand that Moderators are there for a reason and are held to a different standard, but when it comes down to it, we are all members on a board. This board. I think that we should be able to have that function if we so choose as members.

Again, I am not saying ALL Mods... just the ones that we so choose to 'ignore'.

So... my question is, why can't I put Moderators on ignore?
    Cripes man...its a forum, you dont have to look at any of it.........if you dont want to look at or read something...then dont............
    Do you really need to block someone......? The mods do need to be heard even if you dont like what they say..........
    I really try to ignore things I dont agree with, much better that way, untill today....dont know what got into me..................?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    Cripes man...its a forum, you dont have to look at any of it.........if you dont want to look at or read something...then dont............
    Do you really need to block someone......? The mods do need to be heard even if you dont like what they say..........
    I really try to ignore things I dont agree with, much better that way, untill today....dont know what got into me..................?
    You know. You are absolutely right. I don't have to look at any of it, but I do want to read and participate in my subject areas that I have outdoors interest in.
    If there was a selection to be able to make it collapse, I'd like that, too. There was ways to collapse certain sections of the board, but no way to collapse certain parts of the scripts.

If you read my response and recommendation, you'd understand that I am not asking this to be malicious or to create a Mods vs. Members issue here. Actually, far from it. If there is a Mod that I don't necessarily agree with what they say or recommend on a thread that I subscribe to, then I should be able to ignore, hide, or collapse that view so that I won't read it. Let's play fair on this. If I open the thread, I'll mostlikely read everything inside of it unless I see that I have someone on my ignore feature and it could just be easily skipped over.

For clarification, is your recommendation to me to ignore any particular Mod when reading any particular thread instead of requesting the items that I read be a little more effective and productive if I do not choose to read a Mod's recommendation or comments on my subject matters of interest? They aren't Mod gods, you know. They are people just like you and me... but they facilitate this board. I already said that I respected that.
    Lurker.

Idea.
    Maybe this could be something that Premium and Supporting Members can have access to?
    Class discrimination??? I should say not!

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Well, here is my two cents, (for what it's worth, keep the change). I have thought from day one that *Handles/screen names* should not have ever been *Mods*. To me it only makes sense to make them separate identities and there are a couple of reasons I say this. In recent days/months/years we have had some pretty out spoken individuals as "Mods". For example Brian M should simply be Brian M/member (only an example Brian! ) but when it comes time to having to do business for the forum "Put on their mod hat", it should be conducted under a alias, such as Mod 1, Mod 2, Mod 3 etc.... (examples). I understand this would mean some rearranging and possibly a little more work on behalf of the Mods, but I don't see it being a negative thing when it comes to Mods who have a "voice". There is no need for us to know who the mods are personally, unless of course someone likes the ego boost of having "Mod" under their name. I'd think it would be a pain in the behind being known as such now that the forum is so large.
    Brian, Lujon, and others should have a voice on the forum without having the old "you're a mod, you aren't supposed to have a voice attitude or whatever hangup someone can come up with"...sure most of us already know who the mods are, but when action needs to be taken, the only people we should hear from is Mod 1, Mod 2, or Mod 3....etc. Just an idea... It shouldn't be too difficult, we already have an Admin alias why not the rest?.....Goodnight!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Past my 20 minutes! lol.........and.....might I add, that if you don't like what that outspoken "Screen name" has to say, you can ignore him/her. Which is a privilege as a user of the forum, to ignore those you don't necessarily agree with or annoy you...and then you don't have outspoken "Mods" who wouldn't need a reason to be "ignored".......

Confused yet?
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    Past my 20 minutes! lol.........and.....might I add, that if you don't like what that outspoken "Screen name" has to say, you can ignore him/her. Which is a privilege as a user of the forum, to ignore those you don't necessarily agree with or annoy you...and then you don't have outspoken "Mods" who wouldn't need a reason to be "ignored".......

Confused yet?

Not confused at all.
    I like the Mod 1, Mod 2, Mod 3 idea. I don't mind not knowing who is who and we just know that they are all Moderators. Then they can use their member names and just be members like all the rest of us, too... unless they need to utilize their Mod Hats?
    Hmmmm...
    Great suggestion. I'll bump this back to the top. I'd love to have an answer for this one, too.
    Lurker.

Not confused at all.
    I like the Mod 1, Mod 2, Mod 3 idea. I don't mind not knowing who is who and we just know that they are all Moderators. Then they can use their member names and just be members like all the rest of us, too... unless they need to utilize their Mod Hats?
    Hmmmm...
    Great suggestion. I'll bump this back to the top. I'd love to have an answer for this one, too.
    Would the mod hat look like this?

Honestly I like that people know who I am plenty of people bring their problems to me specifically because for what ever reason I have built a rapport with them. It would be disappointing to lose that. I put up the cartman "ghost" picture to add a bit of levity to this but I definitely prefer a mod "hat" to a mod "mask". If I don't feel that I am justified enough in giving out an infraction or making a statement on a thread in a "more official" tone as me then I probably don't need to make it.

Default Hats

This is how I roll when I get a flame...Buckup CO2AK!

I'm taking a poll

There's a really good reason why this absolutely cannot be done:

Because I've made this suggestion about once per year. Never has it fallen on favorable winds and I don't expect it to this time either. 'Course that's the Sun Tzu in me.

Refer back to post #3.
    That's where the quote to 'Mod Hats' first started.

Either way, I think that these are good recommendations. I think that there is nothing wrong with all the Moderators to become anonymous but keep their usernames and still be members.
    Lurker.

Sorry for not posting on this sooner, but I had a crazy weekend and am now trying to catch up.

So, to re-cap this, am I correct in saying that the main reason for doing this would be to give members the opportunity to ignore a particular moderator?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Sorry for not posting on this sooner, but I had a crazy weekend and am now trying to catch up.

So, to re-cap this, am I correct in saying that the main reason for doing this would be to give members the opportunity to ignore a particular moderator?

-Mike
    Now, there's a good idea.

Default Mod Squad names

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    am I correct in saying that the main reason for doing this would be to give members the opportunity to ignore a particular moderator?
    CO should probably respond - and of course she will ;-) - But this is my take on this:

- I've not heard anyone propose that a moderator doing their moderation function/duties should ever be unheard, blocked or ignored.

- I have heard it said, and said it myself, that a moderator acting as a member only, and professing their own personal ideas, should be just as blockable (using the ignore feature) as any other member.

- And I've heard CO propose (and have myself in the past) that all mods keep their present member names and continue to post their personal hunt trip reports, thoughts, and such - but, that when they need to put on their mod hat, they log on using another (unblockable via the ignore feature) username. CO suggested something generic such as mod1, mod2, etc.

CO, did I synopsize that OK or did I miss something?

In an attempt to add a small amount of levity to this dry topic, maybe instead of mod1, mod2, etc... the names should be Williams, Cole, Lipton, & Andrews, to honor the Mod Squad TV series of 3 decades ago? Surely at least King remembers this old'n but good'n:

Last edited by FamilyMan; 04-04-2011 at 17:45. Reason: add the picture

Actually FM, it was I who brought the idea forward in this thread (Mod1, Mod2, etc..was also me)......
    I don't know if CO had mentioned it in past comments but she never indicated that at dinner the other night when I brought the suggestion forward. It was an idea that came to light when she had mentioned that it would be nice to be able to ignore a mod/member if need be. And no, no names were brought up...
    However that's neither here nor there as to who thought it up, I brought it up here and I'll stand by what I feel would be an easy solution for a big problem for some.
    I also find it rather ironic now, that not only a "moderator" but a member would be making a mockery out of another mods comment on "Mod hats" in this very thread???? Mike, it's not so much ignoring a mod, but an outspoken member with "moderator" under their name.

Example: You wouldn't see an off duty police officer in uniform belly up to the bar and ask for a drink with his buddies (Well ok, maybe in Houston) lol..... Moderating is nothing more than policing those of us who have a hard time doing so ourselves...

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post

Example: You wouldn't see an off duty police officer in uniform belly up to the bar and ask for a drink with his buddies (Well ok, maybe in Houston) lol.....
    Whoa! Holdup Missy! I thought we weren't supposed to talk about Charley? Oh wait, are you talking about when Roger would put his SWAT gear on?

<EDIT> I have a trooper in the family and she told me one time Roger came waltzing in the Palmer Trooper Station for a meeting in his full SWAT gear, and he was strapped w/ a 9! The Trooper in charge said absolutely not and pointed toward the door and said get your ass out and NEVER come in here strapped again! LMAO!

I'm taking a poll

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast