Thread: Choosing a .223

Default Choosing a .223

Hi, I have been considering a bolt action rifle in .223. I have been thinking of the kimber montana or possibly the cz varmint kevlar. I would like something that could be a walk around varmint/small game rifle, preferably with a synthetic stock. Anybody want to chime in with there 2 cents about either, or else something similar that I have overlooked.
    Thanks

.223 is a great AR cartridge, but for a bolt gun I'd get something like a .22-250 or .222. JMHO.
    I like the Savage bolt guns, like a model 200 or 110. Good luck, I always enjoy searching for a new toy.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

I just picked up a new Thompson center venture predator, I have not got to shoot it yet but I hear that the accuracy is superb. They come with a MOA guarantee and I plan to do a write up when I get to shoot it. So far all I got to do was hold it to my shoulder and it was a very comfortable gun and very nice on the price too. I got it in the 22-250 with plans to use it for deer and predators.
    I also have a Savage bolt 110 in 223 and this is a great shooter I can shoot 10 rounds through it and cover the hole with a 1" sticker. The problem with this one it that it is a blued rifle and I am always fighting rust on it in the winter.
    Good luck

it sounds like you are looking for a carry friendly gun right? well if that is the case, i would look into a rem 799 or a savage 110. both good choices. and remember, just because your barrel is short, it dos'nt mean you gun isnt accurate. people often overlook the shorter more compact models. the good thing is you already have you caliber straight.

i just bought a remington 799 bolt gun in 223, AND I LOVE IT!!!
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

If I were to get a .223 I would find the lightest AR-15 I could. Something with a 16-18" barrel, 5 round magazine, and either a collapsible or A2 stock. Something like that would be plenty accurate to 300yrds for predators.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=230
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

I would also go with an AR. One with a flat top upper and 16" thin barrel. The lighter the better in my opinion, something like BRWNBR's carbon 15 would be sweet! Beyond that I don't see a reason to spend a fortune on a .223 bolt gun when you can pick one up for cheap that will shoot tiny groups right out of the box. I am not a fan of the cheap remmy and the Kimber is pretty high (though it is really light). I would look at the new Marlin XS7 or one of the Savages with the Accutrigger and stock. They are cheap enough you don't feel bad tossing it behind the seat of the truck.

Final note, lots of people love the 22-250 and other hyper-fast rounds but I can't see spending more money to get one, then more money on ammo, only to have more damage to the fur you harvest with it.

Still loving my very inexpensive, but very accurate Savage.

Went the AR route for fast follow up shots. Got a 22 rimfire bolt for it for fox. 18 inch Carbine with collapsable stock.

200 yard target.

Last edited by stid2677; 03-28-2011 at 09:45.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Stid, how does that AR line up on the lead sled? Can you get it situated right or does the grip hit the bar and force you to have it cocked off to one side?

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Stid, how does that AR line up on the lead sled? Can you get it situated right or does the grip hit the bar and force you to have it cocked off to one side?
    I have to just use the front rest and fire it off that, because the lower handgrip will hit the bar. I was just using the leadsled for firing my 375H&H. Was fun the shoot the AR while I waited for the 375 barrel to cool.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Thanks for all the input guys, Im going to look into the savage, the AR, and the thompson center. I'll let you know how it goes.