Thread: Help with a DA Colt .45

Default Help with a DA Colt .45

My dad was given a Colt .45 DA revolver by an elderly friend of his. The friend says he carried it as a border patrol officer in the 60's. It is blued with a black grip and a 4" barrel. I have been trying to find out what model it is but I am stumped. The only marking is the .45 long colt stamped on the barrel and the serial #. Thanks for any help. The gun is in Oregon but I am going to have my dad take a cell hone pic (if I can coach him through it).

Good chance that it's a Colt New Service model of 1917.
    http://www.gunsamerica.com/926278301...SERVICE_45.htm

I think you are right. According to the serial number it was made in 1914. I was thinking this gun was much more modern. I'm pretty surprised.

It seems that most of the 1914's were chambered for .455 and sent to England. According to the proofhouse website the gun was built in 1914 ( S/N 685xx). It looks more like the 1917's. Is there a way to figure out when it was built for sure. Serial number on the barrel matches the frame so I don't think it was rechambered.

Could possibly help if you post a pic or two of this handgun?
    Steve

Is this a 45 Colt caliber, 45 Schofield, 45 ACP or what?

.45 Colt. It still says long Colt on the barrel. The gun is in OR.

That sounds like a great keepsake.

Oh, and pictures would be way coool!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Terrible cell phone pic texted to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like Cotl but never seen a Colt marked Long Colt as the round never was.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

sounds like a COLT .455 webley

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Looks like Cotl but never seen a Colt marked Long Colt as the round never was.
    Then why was there a short colt? The Long & Short of the .45 Colt
    http://www.leverguns.com/articles/ta...short_colt.htm
    "...Some newcomers to the game claim there is no such animal, but if they had shot the short variety that Remington turned out in such profusion before, during and after World War I they would see there was some basis in referring to the .45 Colt as the .45 Long..." (Sixguns, page 285)

There was a Long Colt because there was a Short Colt and a 45 Schofield, all would work in the "73 colt but not all would work in the Schofleld or #3 S&W

Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
    .45 Colt. It still says long Colt on the barrel. The gun is in OR.
    Interesting. All of the New Service 45's I have seen are stamped " Colt DA 45" on the barrel. Like Will I never saw a Colt gun marked "Long Colt". Nothing to do with with the silly debates that go on and on and on about calling the cartridge "long" either.

It is kind of hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like it had a lanyard ring?

Cool gun no matter what it is.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Big Muddy View Post
    Interesting. All of the New Service 45's I have seen are stamped " Colt DA 45" on the barrel. Like Will I never saw a Colt gun marked "Long Colt". Nothing to do with with the silly debates that go on and on and on about calling the cartridge "long" either.

It is kind of hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like it had a lanyard ring?

Cool gun no matter what it is.

Dan
    Yes, perhaps a RCMP gun?
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    Yes, perhaps a RCMP gun?
    Steve
    Shouldn't the RCMP Colts been chambered in .455?

It has the hole for a lanyard ring. I wish it was on there but I assume it was PITA if you were carrying everyday. I am trying to get my dad to snap a pic of the Long Colt stamp.

it appears to be a colt new service...issued to the r.c.m.p. in .455 caliber. check out a similar model online to verify this, perhaps on gunamerica or gunauction.
    happy trails.
    jh

I have seen a few of the 45 long Colt New Service revolvers. I think the RCMP actually order some of them so chambered.....more for the western provinces, ( I think). There was a buy of the gun in 455 Webley caliber as most agree, but I think they were before the 1917 model. The guy who owns Alaska Guns & Ammo in Fairbanks has one in 45 Colt. I've heard that those made before the 1917 contract were made for England and RCMP in 455 and some made for other U. S. agencies were made in 45 Colt caliber. I've seen some with and without a lanyard ring or stud in 45 Colt caliber. (45 long Colt) I've never seen one marked 45 long Colt. They were also made in 45 ACP (auto) which also accept 45 Auto Rimmed. I think they are stamped 45 Gov't. There were also other cartridges designated 45 Gov't, but those guns made after 1911, on U. S. contract, that were so stamped were probably chambered for the 45 ACP/Auto Rimmed. My uncle carried one in WWII and brought it home. I shot it several times as a kid. I knew it to be a Colt New Service in 45 ACP, I believe that was a newer contract than the 1917 models made by Colt and S&W, but maybe not. I don't know of a good source of info to track down all the various Colt DA revolver used in the 20th century by the various government. That would be a good book to ponder.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?