Thread: Problems with 30-06

Default Problems with 30-06

Do they make a die or a tool that only sizes the neck? I am using Lee dies for 30-06, and found that my neck sizes are too loose. When I put the bullet on to seat it, it is falling into the case. I can't find anything with these dies that actually tapers the neck down to the size it's supposed to be. Am I missing something with these dies, or do I need something that sizes the neck?
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Could be one of two things. Either the die is wrong and isn't sizing the neck down enough or the expander ball is too big and opening the neck back up too much.
    Try sizing a case with the neck expander removed and see if the bullet falls in. If it does the your dies are defective. If the bullet is tight then your expander is too big and needs to be replaced or turned smaller.

So, what diameter are the bullets? Have you done a lot of reloading?

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Do they make a die or a tool that only sizes the neck? I am using Lee dies for 30-06, and found that my neck sizes are too loose. When I put the bullet on to seat it, it is falling into the case. I can't find anything with these dies that actually tapers the neck down to the size it's supposed to be. Am I missing something with these dies, or do I need something that sizes the neck?
    You either have a bad set of dies or your not using .308 size bullets in your loads is all I can think. I just ran off 100 of 06's with my Lee dies and had no problem at all.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Another thing is, if you have more than one caliber of dies, be sure to store them in the right box when done loading. Easy to mix em up if you run a messy loading bench. Careful on that stuff. Load one cal at a time and clean your bench and make sure all your dies get back in the right storage case.....Just sayin
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

they were .308 diameter nosler partition 200 grain bullets. I don't know what happened. It's the first time I used those dies. I dumped the powder out, and knocked the primers out and resized them again, and they seem to work fine now. I don't know how the sizing was off on the first pass, but apparently I was doing something wrong. I got it all working now. Thanks for the advice.

Be sure to wear good eye protection...

I always wear eye protection when dealing with primers. I get a little nervous with them. I assume that is what you are referring to. I have to find somebody I don't like to test out the first shot with these loads though...