View Poll Results: How Do You Make Gear Purchase Decisions?

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • Price alone

0 0%
  • Quality / features alone

32 25.20%
  • Mostly price, but quality / features is a close second

15 11.81%
  • Mostly quality / features, but price is a close second

71 55.91%
  • I'm tired of talking about it. Let's go huntin'!

9 7.09%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gear Purchase Poll

Default Gear Purchase Poll

Hi folks,

The new packs poll got me to thinking. I looked at the results and some questions came to mind. I wonder how many folks make their decision based mostly on price, with quality a secondary consideration.

So here's another poll, to establish that. I'll post another to establish experience levels, because I think it's possible that more experienced hunters tend to choose better quality (more expensive, usually) equipment than those just getting started. Should be interesting.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I dont mind paying for quality, but I hate getting raped on price. I usually compare products (quality and other factors), decide which product I want, then start shopping vendors for the best price on that product.

I don't know about most of you, but only making $40,000 a year if I'm lucky kinda puts a damper on buying only quality equipment. That means that some of my gear is lower quality, but I save up and buy what I can, when I can.
    Chris Willhoite

Quality is first and foremost but spending a little time doing some research and comparisons will yield good results in the price category.

I go for quality and quality gear isn't always the most expensive or the "best" on the market. There is some gear that I'll scrimp on but not much.

I am influenced by customer gear reviews you find on the net. I like to read the negative review first, followed by the positive.

I have learned you are going to have good gear.......sometime, be it the first, second, or fifth go around. I bought a new pair of bino's every season or two. Then came my leica's......done deal. packs, boots, guns, clothes, boats it really does not matter, if you base your happiness, life or income on your gear.....get the good stuff!

Talking depends who's buying??

I wished there was an option of "finding the best quality and then finding the best price" because that is what I do. I voted for quality/price because I won't just by something because it's the best, regardless of price. I feel there are too many options in today's world of free market to NOT get a good deal on something.

buck

You forgot the most important one Micheal--- Value. I purchase items based on the best value. Sometime the cheapest item is the best value because they are all made in the same plant and sold under different names. Sometimes the best value is the most expensive item because it is simply far better in quality and will last a lifetime. Sometimes the best value is the once used or 5 year old unused item on ebay!

But, sometimes I just buy the one I want! Sometimes that's good, other times not...

Default En'how

Quote Originally Posted by chrisWillh View Post
    I don't know about most of you, but only making $40,000 a year if I'm lucky kinda puts a damper on buying only quality equipment. That means that some of my gear is lower quality, but I save up and buy what I can, when I can.

I second that, cut your pay almost in half though...then try buying strickly on quality. Uncle Sam doesn't pay well! No complaining though, I think my gear is middle of the road. My Gear's not Cadallac, but I'm driving Jeep...it'll get me everywhere I need to go...maybe not the best ride, but it'll get there and it's always fun!!!

I too alway look for Value and costomer reviews.
    Hunt not with a gun big enough for what you are hunting, hunt with a gun big enough for what may be hunting you!

some times I pay what ever other times I will become cheap
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

It's all quality. Price means nothing. I am not rich but when it comes to gear it's nothing but the best. I feel it is a life saver for me and it lasts longer so economically it ends up being cheaper years down the road.

Clothing it's all function and performance.

Wink

I"ll do so much research that I really get tired of it. I might narrow my search down to a few choices and scope out the best deal, have to these days! Bill.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

I'd have to agree with Ultramag, go for the QUALITY! It will cost now but you will reap the benefits later, You won't be happy if you get what you didn't want. Nobody said this sport was cheap! and if you can get away with a good value on good stuff, or even use lower end stuff and be comfortable with it,and still enjoy what your doing, that is great, I have wasted more $$$$ trying to save and skimp and buy cheaper made products in the past...take for example, optics (brands I won't mention), I had gone thru a pair of binos, of medium price range, worked great in warm weather, however in the winter it just kept fogging up, even took in a little moisture, found out there was a leak (nitrogen filled),(and past the warranty). Another was a gun scope, manufacture claims it was dropped or consumer negligence (there was not even a scratch on it) and I take pride and care of my equipment.But after buying Top quality, I have had 100% satisfaction! On quality optics, packs and etc. most manufactures will honor a lifetime warranty or repair it for you for a small fee if caused by negligence. Its not uncommon today to see a sheep hunter pack in about $10K worth of gear on his back...Like the master card commercial...PRICELESS.............K

Lightbulb sticky to save time and money

perhaps, a sticky at the top of the page would be a good idea for sources for specific pieces of quality gear found at good or on sale prices, such as akcub has done with the lowa boots and akhunter45 with the sporthill pants...

Sportsmans Warehouse also offer a 5% additional discount on all items (except Guns and ammo, I think?) to all military members, just ask for it and show your I.D. card. The savings all add up in the long run. Also, for all you sheep and goat hunters, BEAVER sports has a huge clearance sale in the spring (check the dates) they have items marked as low as 75-90% off. This is stuff they have to move for summer items and make room for next years products....K

Quality/ features above everything else, if I need to save a bit more to get what I want/need I do that. I have had my share of junk that would not last a season and will not go that route again.

Doug

Default something to think about

for 25 million years man as hunted without buying anything; and survived. Then again there is optics, you get what you pay for. everything else can be bargain shopped for.

Quote Originally Posted by racinghoss View Post
    I dont mind paying for quality, but I hate getting raped on price. I usually compare products (quality and other factors), decide which product I want, then start shopping vendors for the best price on that product.
    Gotta be on sale for a great price before I buy. Year old and new doesn't bother me if it is 25-50% off!
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Default Simply The Best

I search for the best product for whatever it is that I am doing. Be it work or play. Then the Hunt begins for the best price.
    I have learned to never skimp on quality, if you have to replace the lesser item you would have been better off buying the best in the first place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast