Thread: when to stop hunting

Default when to stop hunting

when do you stop hunting things such as rabbits, that don;t have a season? i was thinking i would go on one last hunt here in a week or so, and be done till fall

what are your guyses thoughts?

I stop in late March..I was out once in mid April for rabbits. Was drssing one out and saw the babies in the rabbit , was enough for to not hunt late again. It seemed counter productive,but some people say they have litters year round. But ive never seen the unborn babies in one till the mid April hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by danthedewman1 View Post
    I stop in late March..I was out once in mid April for rabbits. Was drssing one out and saw the babies in the rabbit , was enough for to not hunt late again. It seemed counter productive,but some people say they have litters year round. But ive never seen the unborn babies in one till the mid April hunt.
    Mar 31st is it for me, for the same reason as DTDM! stated.... that's also the last day for legal Ptarmigan - besides.. April is get your boat cleaned up and put back together month.../John

i hunt them till it heats up and they get lice/fleas and such.
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

I've never really set a date, but it seems I've never hunted hare past March. Start looking to bear and such.

Hare only have leverettes in the summer. I also stop hunting them the end of March. They will be pretty close to perpetually pregnant from april till fall since they have 2 uteri that work independently. They will be pregnant with 2 separate broods at the same time and have them several weeks apart. Think of it as a right an left uterus. They have a litter from the left while the right is still 2-3 weeks from delivery. Before the litter in the right one is even born the left can get impregnated again! One female hare can produce a whole lot of offspring in the summer so it is pretty counterproductive to kill them in the summer when they will produce 30+ fat dumb bunnies for you to chase after moose season! I usually start back at em when we have had a few hard frosts and I am done chasing Bullwinkle around.

i hunt them all winter.....when im out camping or big game hunting somewhere in summer/fall and i see a hare near camp or on the trail, ill get it for dinner.

Release Lake Trout

Ok, thats what I was thinking, I usualy start around the end of moose season, cause I spend 16 hours a day hunting moose and don't have time for rabbits.

My grandma always said months with an "R" are for rabbits! September-April. I know I know we have hare here!!! I usually stop hunting them in March also. I have gone out a few times in April, but not many times.

Default question

do any of you guys know of or even run a beagle hound up there on them hare?

Beagles are not a super common breed in AK but they do fine and there are a couple members here who use them with great success.

Quote Originally Posted by dillinger09 View Post
    do any of you guys know of or even run a beagle hound up there on them hare?
    I run my lab occasoinally when I want a real rush, and need exercise, but mostly I go hunting my my self and go at a really leisurely pace ust trying to clear my mind ya know.

After two more days, I will indeed stop hunting (birds). Then I will start hunting bears. I love Alaska.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

run my lab occasoinally when I want a real rush, and need exercise, but mostly I go hunting my my self and go at a really leisurely pace ust trying to clear my mind ya know

shot two bunnys this weekend, both were pregnet, im done for the year...
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

Exactly what i posted..Please stop end of March for rabbits..its counter productive.

Default Mortality

Additive vs compensatory comes to mind. Additive mortality is when hunting causes deaths above and beyond what would be expected naturally. My guess is these two doe rabbits were compensatory. Plus it's difficult not to go out in this weather when there is no season. Now we simply have further proof that the little ones are baking in the oven by this time of year.